GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 385 mile road trip to the Pemaquid Point Light in New Harbor Maine yesterday in my new 2017 Volt so now I have some real MPG and MPkWh numbers. Both the MPG and MPkWh are better than promised. I did 58.1 miles on the battery using 14.3kWh and 327.2 mile on gas using 7.26 gallons. That works out to 4 MPkWh and 45 MPG. At current gas and electricity prices that's 5.95 cents/mile electric and 5.75 cents/mile gas using 23.77 cents per delivered kWh (my electric rate of 21.4/.9 assuming a 90% charging efficiency) and $2.59 for midgrade gas.

I do this trip every summer but this is the first time I've done it without a fill up. My 300C with a 5.7L Hemi was more fun to drive but it only had a 360 mile range, 18 gallons * 20MPG highway, the 20MPG was on a good day, in winter doing local driving it was 14MPG. The Volt has a total range of 463 miles (58 + 9 * 45), that covers the longest day trip that I'm ever likely to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look at your electric bill. When they quote rates it's always for the generation charge not the actual cost which is almost twice as high. I pay 11.9 cents/KWH to a supplier and 10.4 cents/KWH to National Grid to deliver the electricity to me (it consists of about a half dozen charges which add up to 10.4).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Also the way things look like in the horizon electric rates will skyrocket even more, thats what president Obama said. Seems a real shame that it cost more to drive on electricity, that not even road taxed(YET), than gasoline. Deters anyone to buy an electric vehicle when you are paying thousands of dollars more to do so...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Look at your electric bill. When they quote rates it's always for the generation charge not the actual cost which is almost twice as high. I pay 11.9 cents/KWH to a supplier and 10.4 cents/KWH to National Grid to deliver the electricity to me (it consists of about a half dozen charges which add up to 10.4).
Interesting. Even with delivery charges, I don't pay anything near that for power. But then again, I got a carbon credit for being a low usage customer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is high. I pay about 9.5 cents per kWh for the juice and 2 cents per kWh for the delivery for the first 300 kWh. A little less over that. I'm not on any sort of plan.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Here in Seaside Oregon real cost for electric rates are .117 per kwh, thats by dividing the entire bill cost with all taxes etc. by kwh used.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in Seaside Oregon real cost for electric rates are .117 per kwh, thats by dividing the entire bill cost with all taxes etc. by kwh used.
Why are we getting so screwed in Massachusetts. Is it all of New England or is it just National Grid customer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts