GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot of discussion about technology within the future volt and what should be included and not included.

On this front I would like to see multiple input options for MP3 playback through the stereo. Most people have iPod's and want a input jack or maybe a PAL (Personal Audio Link) set up. PAL is a GM plug in device that you connect your iPod to which charges it and allows for the user to use the radio and steering wheel controls as well as to see the song displays on the existing radio display. I believe this is new in a few GM vehicles right now (I know my current GM ride has this option.)

I personally would like to see a USB interface and a universal 5,7 or 9 in one storage card reader slot. I store much of my music and even videos on such cards and if the volt came with a in dash screen it would be nice to be able to pull a card out of a digital camera and view the pictures on the screen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm with you a 100%. I understand this car needs to efficient, but i think the mainstream already has the Honda Insight vision of an electric car. The whole point of the Volt is being responsible & cool at the same time. That's why i think this car needs versions like (lx,dx,ex) so that guys coming over from cadillacs will be just as happy as guys moving over from subaru diesels running on vegetable oil.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm with you a 100%. I understand this car needs to efficient, but i think the mainstream already has the Honda Insight vision of an electric car. The whole point of the Volt is being responsible & cool at the same time. That's why i think this car needs versions like (lx,dx,ex) so that guys coming over from cadillacs will be just as happy as guys moving over from subaru diesels running on vegetable oil.
Of course the Cadillac drivers might just buy the e-flex Cadillac too.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/01/gm-introducing.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think the recharge engine will be a fuel cell based engine, but the power train of the car will be the same as the Volt, the e-flex design.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Isn't it amazing how car manufacturers have been trailing 10 years behind in vehicle audio systems? When the CD was mainstream, they were still putting cassette decks in cars. Now that the CD is dead and everyone uses MP3, most car manufacturers still use CD players in brand-new cars. an aux-in is nice so that you can use your own player, but the best way is to have a USB or SD-Card socket right in the stereo. I actually bought a little stereo head unit at Wal-Mart for $79 that has this feature and I put my whole music collection on a single SD card and stuck it in the stereo. No cables to mess with, easy to operate while driving, etc. Every new car should have this feature.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A friend of mine just bought the CTS Caddy and it allows you store lots of music on it. Not sure what kinda of media it uses though.

I would also like to see hands free bluetooth so we could take and make calls through the audio system. Not to be confused with a built in car phone.

ps I just checked thier website...it's a 40GB drive!

·
1,101 Posts
Ford only has an exclusive on the Sync system from M/S for one year, so that could also be something that could work in the Volt.

·
Registered
151 Posts
An aux input or SD slot is a GREAT idea. An input jack is probably more likely to be useful with all of the ipods out there... This is a very cheap and useful device. KISS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would not want to see a sync system in my vehicle. I've never seen or used the sync system that Ford has but having used voice recoginition on a computer and my cell phone before I know it's not that great. I'd much rather prefer a nice 7 inch screen which could list my various music folders and playlists and whatever other file structure I may create for my music. If we want to go high tech let the volt sync with my computer at home via wireless signal (bluetooth) and connect to my windows media player or itunes application and download my data. I would still prefer an SD/XD card reader, to me it's the simplest form of media transfer.

·
1,101 Posts
I saw a Sync system in a Ford. I think you should try it before you cross it off your list. The demo I saw had an internet enabled bluetooth phone pull streaming audio from a jazz station and play it through the radio speakers. That was cool. And it accepts tons of MP3 players, instead of the "ipod only" that some systems have. Also, you can plug in most USB based drives and upload any music files you want.

The voice activation worked a lot better than what you are used to with your cell phone.

The only thing I saw that it was lacking was GPS.

The price for the Ford Edge was $395.00, which I though was very reasonable....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts