GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm moving to France for work and I'd like to ship my 2016 Volt to use it there but I'm wondering whether it's a good thing or not.
I know that Chevy stopped sealing cars their a couple of years ago and that the German brand Opel is taking care of Chevy cars now.
My main concern is about being able to charge it there since they use a different voltage: standard voltage is 230V. Also, it seems that their charging stations are somewhat different from ours as you come and use you own cable. Can I buy a new cable that would fit their charging stations ?
Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well..as a you can charge at 220V over here.....( I charge my 2017 at home, at 220V) I doubt the 230/240V will make much if any difference, I'm sure finding an adapter, for different charge cord plug patterns won't be impossible.....at least your American steering wheel will still be on the correct side, ;)

What MIGHT be trickier is whatever France's 'Type Approval' is ..IE I know if I ever shipped my (US) Yamaha XJ750 to the UK it would have to be inspected,(MOT) and things like the lighting system (dip beam) etc would probably need to be changed to UK stamped and approved lenses/bulbs....Also approved Chevy /Volt parts might be very tricky to obtain, needing to be ordered/shipped via the Internet?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Bonjour Laurent! Félicitations!

If it were me, I'd sell the Volt before you go and buy something over there if you must. France has a great EV incentive program and it appears to be getting more generous every year. Something like a Renault Zoe or e-Golf will get you around town and to the next one if needed -- and do it for an honest price.

You'll never match the speed of intercity TGV travel and flexibility of grabbing a local ride when you need it. The Autolib network is widely available across the country and absolutely worth joining if you travel a lot. Factor in the cost of fuel with the added challenge and price of parking a private vehicle once you get somewhere and the rent-it-when-you-need-it model is even more attractive. Paris could also be a challenge now the Crit'Air process is in use. Not sure how a Volt would be registered, but if you don't rate a 1 or 2 you can forget about driving in the summer. Domestic EV's will always be good to go.

Then there's the odd car with an odd plug issue. I've not been everywhere, but I've never seen a J-1772 plug anywhere in the country. I'm not sure I've seen one anywhere in Europe. There are a lot of "Mennekes" which are sorta similar but not. Google tells me a Menneke is officially an IEC 62196 Type 2 and there appear to be J-1772 to 62196 adopters available so it looks like it is possible. The next part I want to say with all due respect, but taking a North American car to a French mechanic is going to be a challenge. Even it they are Voltec certified, there will ALWAYS be a reason to not work on your vehicle.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I seem to recall that French cars are all equipped with amber headlamps. Am I remembering wrong? Would headlight housing have to be swapped?

·
Registered
782 Posts
If the Volt is not sold in France, you will have a tough time finding mechanics who can deal with any problem more complicated than changing the oil.

I would leave the car here or sell it, and buy a Europe-specific model in France.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm from Switzerland and I have a US-Gen1 and Gen2. Charging isn't a problem at all. Type1 connectors are quite common here as well, as they have been used by Japanase and French cars. More and more the type2 connectors are used, but there are either type2 to type1 cables or adapters available.
I can't comment on the homologation requirments in France.
Amber headlights are not used anymore.
As the Gen2 already has white parking lights in the front and amber turn signals in the back, lights already should meet the EU requirements.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Amber headlights were a requirement in France, waaaay back in the 70's/80's......ask me how I know, lol.....not sure thats a problem now !!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm from Switzerland and I have a US-Gen1 and Gen2. Charging isn't a problem at all. Type1 connectors are quite common here as well, as they have been used by Japanase and French cars. More and more the type2 connectors are used, but there are either type2 to type1 cables or adapters available.
As the Gen2 already has white parking lights in the front and amber turn signals in the back, lights already should meet the EU requirements.
Regarding homologation, I know Gen 1 was designed with global regulations in mind (e.g. amber turn signal lights on the side mirrors) and was sold in the EU (branded as Chevrolet and Opel), and Australia (Branded as Holden). I thought Gen 2 dropped those when GM decided not to export beyond N.A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with those who say sell it here and buy something there. French cars that were sold in N. America and then orphaned present kind of the opposite of your problem. It is not easy getting them serviced with possible exceptions of large metropolitan centers and even then, well, be prepared to wait (and wait and wait) for the parts needed to perform the service. Car and Driver decided to take a Citroen CX on a trip to St. Pierre and Miquelon in an attempt to return the car to France. It did not go well. It would be a pity to strand a Volt in a foreign country.

·
Registered
377 Posts
On the flip side, perhaps a ( desirable?) car like the Volt might be EASIER to sell on in France, given the scarcity....?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I seem to recall that French cars are all equipped with amber headlamps. Am I remembering wrong? Would headlight housing have to be swapped?
They were fazed out in the 70s as I recall. The EU then banned them. You can, however still see the occasional CV 2 (Citroën deux chevaux) sporting the so called "selective" yellow headlights. Usually Olde Guys drive them like this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On the flip side, perhaps a ( desirable?) car like the Volt might be EASIER to sell on in France, given the scarcity....?
Frankly, I would never attempt to take a Volt to France. The lack of service is primarily the reason. Every mechanic would see you coming a mile away and tell you how good they are at working on it. It would be a huge mistake.

We have learned after visiting France for 40 years, practically once a year, that Americans will never become French and the French won't let you forget it. To get a washing machine repaired takes herculean efforts. Getting the Electricity de France to fix something makes you feel like you are pushing a chain. Getting cell phone and TV service is challenge enough, believe me.

Enjoy France for what it offers, but don't think you can be a trail blazer. Take a small dog, they'll love you for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi , i live in belgium , and have several chevy volts driving here gen 1 and 2 , no problems with them whatsoever , the only downside is for the homologation for the gen 2 , you will never get the correct co2 of 30gr/km on you papers but 133- 147gr/km what is only for the gas engine ,and not combined , i did do everything possible in multiple euro country's it is still the same result
for maintaining you volt , i do everything on dealer level and more , i am a mechanic , an i have even modified my own volts with different mods some good some bad (my gen 1 is running on E85 now an limited at 220km/h), try and error , i work at speedshop belgium and you can call me there for more info if you want to , we can get all the parts you need if you can not get them yourself
bring your gen 2 volt to france ,its a fantastic car dont let anybody scare you

·
Registered
9 Posts
What your Gen 2 do you have. I want to import a Gen 2 into the U.K.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2019 Volt Premier with the 7,2 kg charger. Works great, love the car!
Few questions
Are you on the Chevy Volt Owners Facebook page forum?
Do you charge it from a normal 230v supply? No problems? Which charger?
I was thinking about a 2019 but was told some parts might be difficult to get in a few years time
They only made 5000
The made 20k of 17 and 18

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi , i live in belgium , and have several chevy volts driving here gen 1 and 2 , no problems with them whatsoever , the only downside is for the homologation for the gen 2 , you will never get the correct co2 of 30gr/km on you papers but 133- 147gr/km what is only for the gas engine ,and not combined , i did do everything possible in multiple euro country's it is still the same result
for maintaining you volt , i do everything on dealer level and more , i am a mechanic , an i have even modified my own volts with different mods some good some bad (my gen 1 is running on E85 now an limited at 220km/h), try and error , i work at speedshop belgium and you can call me there for more info if you want to , we can get all the parts you need if you can not get them yourself
bring your gen 2 volt to france ,its a fantastic car dont let anybody scare you
Hi
I intend to import a 2017 or later into the U.K. in the Spring of 21
Very interesting to read your post.
Speed shop? I have a 52 Chevy truck, modified
Few questions
Are you on the Chevy Volt Owners Facebook page forum?
Do you charge it from a normal 230v supply? No problems? Which charger?
I was thinking about a 2019 but was told some parts might be difficult to get in a few years time
They only made 5000
The made 20k of 17 and 18
Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts