GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I drove my wife's 2017 Volt on a long trip this morning. Turned on Mountain mode with 2 bars left on the battery icon, drove for 35 miles over flat terrain. No bars were added. In my 2013 Volt, such a drive would have added at least 2-3 bars. I'm not that familiar with the 2nd gen Volt, so is there some setting that I missed? Or does this mean that Moutain mode is not working? In the photo, I can see that there's a red line above the 2 remaining bars. Does that mean anything?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Hi,
I drove my wife's 2017 Volt on a long trip this morning. Turned on Mountain mode with 2 bars left on the battery icon, drove for 35 miles over flat terrain. No bars were added. In my 2013 Volt, such a drive would have added at least 2-3 bars. I'm not that familiar with the 2nd gen Volt, so is there some setting that I missed? Or does this mean that Moutain mode is not working? In the photo, I can see that there's a red line above the 2 remaining bars. Does that mean anything?
Thanks
You are correct, in the 2013 Volt MM would normally build up a 40% charge. In the Gen 2 Volt such as your wife's 2017 MM only builds up a 15 - 20% battery reserve (approx. 2 bars on the meter) so that is why you did not see a change.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Thanks so much for the explanation. Is there a reason why MM is restricted to only 20% in the 2nd gen Volt?
The ICE on the Gen 2 Volt is more powerful than on Gen 1 and rarely, if ever, needs to tap the battery and electric motors for assistance even in mountainous driving. Think of MM on the Gen 2 Volt as a vestigal feature held over from the Gen 1 Volt.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Also the battery is bigger in the Gen2 so 20% of a bigger Gen 2 battery is closer to 40% of the smaller Gen 1 battery than it might be apparent.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
In addition, the Gen 2 Volt simply doesn't need Mountain Mode unless you want to recharge a little for off-highway driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts