·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think this graphic explains why the Malibu hybrid gets better gas economy than the Gen 2 Volt...though still not sure I understand 100%.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Motor Trend's second test drive of the Malibu Hybrid

Motor Trend has a positive review of their second test drive of the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. Hopefully there will be additional reviews now that the cars are shipping.

The cars are starting to show up in my area and I've gone on a few test drives. The engine/battery transitions are extremely smooth. The car has plenty of power and is very quiet. It's a very easy to drive car. The mileage was typically in the 43 mpg range for a 3 mile drive (combined highway/city).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
40 mpg, summer weather, not that great. The 2016 Malibu Hybrids are already on dealers lots and have been for a few weeks.
I am looking for a real review with documented mpg's at various speeds etc., Wayne Gerdes at cleanmpg.com comes to mind.

I am somewhat leaning towards GM fudging the MPG figures on the hybrid, if they did they probably never heard of the Ford Fusion Hybrid when it came out getting 47 mpg city, 47 mpg hwy, and 47 mpg avg. We all know how that story ended.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
40 mpg, summer weather, not that great. The 2016 Malibu Hybrids are already on dealers lots and have been for a few weeks.
I am looking for a real review with documented mpg's at various speeds etc., Wayne Gerdes at cleanmpg.com comes to mind.

I am somewhat leaning towards GM fudging the MPG figures on the hybrid, if they did they probably never heard of the Ford Fusion Hybrid when it came out getting 47 mpg city, 47 mpg hwy, and 47 mpg avg. We all know how that story ended.
From the article: "Granted, we have lead feet and onboard computers are notoriously inaccurate..."

So if they were stomping the gas and still got 40 mpg, that's actually not bad.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
One thing I wonder about is the take-off power. Since it is clear the 2nd-gen Volt has less power from a standstill when operating in extended-range mode, I would think the Malibu would suffer from the same problem since it is essentially is extended-range mode all of the time. My guess is, they make up for it on the 0-60 times by having a more powerful ICE than the Volt.

·
1,308 Posts

MotorTrend, like most auto magazines, tends to get lower mpg than the official EPA estimates.

For their review of the 2015 Camry Hybrid, which is Toyota's competition for the Malibu hybrid, they said:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2015-toyota-camry-hybrid-first-test/
The Camry Hybrid’s real MPG number was pegged at 38.5 mpg in the city, 34.4 mpg on the highway, and 36.5 mpg combined.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts