·
Registered
761 Posts
well deserved

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Very nice!
I have to admit I take some satisfaction in the fact that the world is starting to appreciate the electric drive train.
Also pretty damned happy to have the MTCotY from both 2011 and now 2013 sitting in my garage:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Tesla Model S best in its class. Pure electric.
Chevy Volt best in its class. PHEV

·
Administrator
20,777 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
It looks like the Model S is heading down the same path as the Volt when it comes to racking up awards. First, Automobile Magazine "Automobile of the Year", now Motor Trend's "Car of the Year." I wonder if it will rack up as many awards as the Volt. I doubt it, since the Volt has economy/value awards that the Model S can't touch.

As a reminder, here are some of the Volt's awards (click here for gm-volt link of full list):

Vehicle awards

· 2009 Green Car Vision Award by the Green Car Journal
· 2011 North American Car of the Year at the 2011 North American International Auto Show.
· Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year
· Automobile Magazine 2011 Automobile of the Year
· MotorWeek 2011 Driver’s Choice Best of the Year
· Car and Driver 10 Best for 2011
· 2011 Edison Award
· Highest-rated compact for 2011 J.D. Powers and Associates APEAL Study
· 2012 Car of the Year in Denmark
· Consumer Reports rates Volt #1 in Owner Satisfaction
· Named “2011 Collectible Car of the Future” by Friends of the National Automotive History Collection (NAHC)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
509 Posts
The opening pp is nauseating at best. How would you like to live next door to Mr. Kerns. We probably do without realizing it...
Unbelievable opening paragraph - and according to Motor Trend editor Angus McKenzie, one of the 'more polite' responses. I would love to see McKenzie's "Volt Chronicles" published and sent to every respondent five years from now when sales are like the Prius's.

I'm a Republican, but this kind of insanity really makes me wonder how we got to this place in our country. MT's opening paragraph:

“I’ve seen your ‘Car of the Year’ announcement and realize how fully and completely hollow your rag is. You pass your biases off as fact and outright lies to push your liberal agenda. The Volt is garbage and you know it, but you have crawled in bed with the gutless wannabe dictator Obama. I’m an electronics design engineer by trade, for 32 years, so I know what a crock the Volt is. Americans are not European pussies, like evidently you folks are. No one wants this piece of crap, and darn few will be sold. Only a social and political whore could have so completely sold out their integrity for a joke of a car no man with any balls could possibly want. It is not a triumph nor milestone, just a political waste of time and money.”

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/shock-t...for-an-electric-coty-26663.html#ixzz2C8X3Usoj

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've got to wonder "What is the Big Agenda," here, with these Right-Wingers--or, whatever 'they' are? I'm not into 'conspiracies', but ... BUT? Of course, this topic is out-of-bounds in this forum, BUT... The election is OVER and I'm still getting hammered by my 'conservative friends' on the same-ol' stuff. I feel like I am an enemy agent, or something, with these folks, for driving an electric car, especially an American Made Chevy Volt (Government Motors.) I mean, it's like 'The Republican Nazi Party' or something. You just have to wonder...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The Tesla model S is a remarkable achievement. However... It would not meet my needs.

The less expensive Volt PHEV does fit my needs perfectly.

I think it's great that Motor Trend is willing to stick their neck out and face the wrath of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh & Mark Modeca. ;-)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Very nice!
I have to admit I take some satisfaction in the fact that the world is starting to appreciate the electric drive train.
Also pretty damned happy to have the MTCotY from both 2011 and now 2013 sitting in my garage:)
I had the 1971 MTCotY in my carport (and sold it in 1984), so I was ahead of you...and it was a Chevy!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

And, now, something DIFFERENT ... from Aljazeera, of all places: "Driving towards a greener future?" The video is a long 25 minutes, so if you're really bored, this might be something to watch (LOL):

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/insidestory/2012/11/201211147921814309.html

The bottom line 'take-away', here, is that EVs are only as environmentally friendly as the source of their electricity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice blog post from Angus supporting their decisions on both the Model S and Volt.

The Vega? I'm not sure I'd be bragging about that one. In fact, a little research of past MT COTY winners gives a clear indicator that they're nowhere near the best choices. It's really more of a publicity stunt that is simply rotated among the manufacturers.

OTOH, it's good publicity and the EV industry surely can use as much of that as they can get.
I don't know - it seems pretty clear that MT aims to pick cars that are potentially game changers and appear to be in a position to revolutionize the industry. Of course - hind-sight is 20-20 - it's highly unlikely that their picks will fulfill their promises.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Unbelievable opening paragraph - and according to Motor Trend editor Angus McKenzie, one of the 'more polite' responses. I would love to see McKenzie's "Volt Chronicles" published and sent to every respondent five years from now when sales are like the Prius's.

I'm a Republican, but this kind of insanity really makes me wonder how we got to this place in our country. MT's opening paragraph:

“I’ve seen your ‘Car of the Year’ announcement and realize how fully and completely hollow your rag is. You pass your biases off as fact and outright lies to push your liberal agenda. The Volt is garbage and you know it, but you have crawled in bed with the gutless wannabe dictator Obama. I’m an electronics design engineer by trade, for 32 years, so I know what a crock the Volt is. Americans are not European pussies, like evidently you folks are. No one wants this piece of crap, and darn few will be sold. Only a social and political whore could have so completely sold out their integrity for a joke of a car no man with any balls could possibly want. It is not a triumph nor milestone, just a political waste of time and money.”

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/shock-t...for-an-electric-coty-26663.html#ixzz2C8X3Usoj
You have to remember: One in ten Americans is pathological. Until the Internet came along and gave the nuts a public outlet for their anger, they were largely hidden from view.

·
Registered
486 Posts

If this guy is a design engineer as he claims, I wouldn't want to touch anything he designed. Engineers are supposed to be objective. He missed that boat.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Very nice!
In March, when my Model S is delivered, I'll be able to have the same privilege.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts