GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking through the Sep 2008 issue of Motor Trend they show the Chevy Volt, which is great but they give misleading information.

* "Two-mode hybrid-drive unit" ?
Sounds similar to the Dual-Mode in Tahoe\Yukon, which is not the case, and fails to mention a Plug-in feature. I can understand some of the other misstatements such as the 1.4L turbo engine since this was still being worked out before the 1.4L na engine announcement.

As much as I enjoy reading the publication, they constantly get the facts wrong, not to mention skew results and give biased reports against American Manufactures, but that's another story... Why are the Honda's all promoted with the Gas Miser Award as is the Nissan Altima, and Minis yet the Chevy Cobalt, and Aveo are missing this Award, along with the Ford Focus. I know it's little off topic, but had to point it out.

·
3,689 Posts
Looking through the Sep 2008 issue of Motor Trend they show the Chevy Volt, which is great but they give misleading information.

* "Two-mode hybrid-drive unit" ?
Sounds similar to the Dual-Mode in Tahoe\Yukon, which is not the case, and fails to mention a Plug-in feature. I can understand some of the other misstatements such as the 1.4L turbo engine since this was still being worked out before the 1.4L na engine announcement.

As much as I enjoy reading the publication, they constantly get the facts wrong, not to mention skew results and give biased reports against American Manufactures, but that's another story... Why are the Honda's all promoted with the Gas Miser Award as is the Nissan Altima, and Minis yet the Chevy Cobalt, and Aveo are missing this Award, along with the Ford Focus. I know it's little off topic, but had to point it out.

Might want to give some of these guys a break. They have a lot of gearheads but not a lot of sparkies yet. The electrification of the automobile will not only require time to transition the infrastructure but time to get everyone involved up to speed, even the writers at auto mags. Remember that we talk about this topic all the time and have a much deeper understanding of what is going on under the hood. Most people still see golf cart when you say EV. When you say hybrid they see a Prius. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sure.... the writers or should I say "critics" are so kind to the Domestics. We wouldn't want to upset the apple cart. They can use all the positive press they can get. I think they (writers) should be held to higher standard and ensure they report their finding accurately, without sterotypes. To bad they can't test vehicles blindfolded.

Given some verifible data on this project is hard to come by, save for the this site, gm-volt.com is an excellent source.

But your right on this topic (EV's) we should act as ambassadors, just hate to see the sterotype of Domestic automobiles rub off on the Volt. Takes a long time to change public opinon. I belive even the worst cars manufatured today are better then the best cars built 10-15 years ago. The gap is so small today Sounds like I have an axe to grind I know. :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Like everyone else, car magazines make guesses about cars that aren't out yet that are based on limited information.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nothing new, sad to say. It is evident if you read these magazines (motor trend, CR, Auto) that they do not hold the domestics in high regard. For this reason, most people I know who used to read them have all stopped. Those that still do, are the ones who find the info on the pages agreeable or backing up their own car choices. So I think, in a way, its a self filtering exercise. Most who read them now think the imports are lightyears better than the domestics, and the magazines need to cultivate that somewhat or risk losing their remaining readers. Not that I'm into conspiracies or anything. :)

BUT, for something as important as the Volt, there is no excuse for making gross misstatements about well known facts on the car. I just don't think that a large portion of their readers are that interested in the Volt upstaging the Prius, nor are their editors.

Consumer Reports is still my pet peave. They should stick to toasters and vacuums instead of making "judgements" about cars and trucks. They are the worst at feeding the "domestic inferiority" judgements to the "mechanically challenged" public.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Something to consider with regard to car companies in general. The car companies fought doing serial hybrids for over 15 years. I've been following this since 1990, and the tech was there to do this then. They don't want to do this, and the reason is simple. The cars will get really simple, reliable, long lasting, need little maintenance, and be cheap to build. How many car companies are going to die in this transition? The number I've heard is over half (YMMV), but the point is that big business does NOT like sea changes like this at all. Be interesting to watch.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Something to consider with regard to car companies in general. The car companies fought doing serial hybrids for over 15 years. I've been following this since 1990, and the tech was there to do this then. They don't want to do this, and the reason is simple. The cars will get really simple, reliable, long lasting, need little maintenance, and be cheap to build. How many car companies are going to die in this transition? The number I've heard is over half (YMMV), but the point is that big business does NOT like sea changes like this at all. Be interesting to watch.
It's funny because car companies lose just as much as everyone else in the end, when nobody can even afford food much less gasoline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can never trust anything anybody writes when it comes to the media, the internet, ect. Id say the media is about as reliable as random people posting on a internet forum when it comes to getting facts straight, you only notice when your directly involved or know alot about the subject already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts