GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the dealership, main bearing for the traction motor is bad. Car had a high pitch whine. They are ordering a new motor. You can see that there are missing balls. This is the Black Volt that has ~25,000 miles.
Auto part Engine Clutch Automotive engine part Machine

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Great picture.
Hopefully it will turn out of have an identifiable cause other than than bearing capacity.
What type of service was the car in?
Is that a flooded lube area?

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I get a little whine sometimes when I'm coming to a stop in low. Not loud, is the re-gen suppose to be totally quiet? Or is it a little noticeable whine OK when the radio is down?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I don't have any sound .... but my hearing is so- so. What I am wondering is if there are driving habits...such as running in L that create higher loading on the bearings.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Isn't this the second or third instance of this bearing failing? I distintly remember reading another thread or 2 where a loud whine/squeal was present.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don't have any sound .... but my hearing is so- so. What I am wondering is if there are driving habits...such as running in L that create higher loading on the bearings.
Yes, I wonder that also, since I run in L, and it is heard loudest with quick and hard deceleration. And it is hardly noticed with the radio on at a decent volume.

Maybe L and hard deceleration is not good for this bearing in question in the long run?????

·
Registered
718 Posts
ouch. hope you get your volt back on the road soon.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I do believe what you are looking at is the generator, not the motor. The bearing appears to be missing the spacers between the individual balls in the race. I don't think any balls are necessarily missing. No bearing like this actually has the balls touching each other. The balls would wear against each other causing excessive heat and wear. Another thread shows all the failed plastic spacers. Bearings like this have been around for 70 years+ so a failure like this is very troubling.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All,

Having the same issue on my early build 2012. I have yet to take it in, but the "table saw slowdown" noise is there under heavy re-reg. The sound it makes is not loud enough yet to hear with my windows UP, but from what I have been reading here it will only get worse. It is really loud with the windows down in a parking garage. There could be a lot more of these out there with volt drivers just ignoring the sound.

Will be taking my in shortly to have it looked at.

I took a 2013 out for a test drive and it is as quiet as can be under heavy re-gen. This is not a normal sound that the car makes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Best to take a new one on a test drive and compare. I did, and it was night/day difference. It seems to slowly get worse so you don't notice it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I do believe what you are looking at is the generator, not the motor. The bearing appears to be missing the spacers between the individual balls in the race. I don't think any balls are necessarily missing. No bearing like this actually has the balls touching each other. The balls would wear against each other causing excessive heat and wear. Another thread shows all the failed plastic spacers. Bearings like this have been around for 70 years+ so a failure like this is very troubling.
That looks like M/G B to me, very similar to the picture I posted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Took for test drive with dealer tech. Houston, we have a problem.

Working in the best time to bring it in to get it worked on. Would like to know for sure that I get the upgraded part, regardless if the replace just the bearing or entire assembly. Tech is going to contact GM and discuss.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Took for test drive with dealer tech. Houston, we have a problem.

Working in the best time to bring it in to get it worked on. Would like to know for sure that I get the upgraded part, regardless if the replace just the bearing or entire assembly. Tech is going to contact GM and discuss.
This is the same problem I had. Download this file and change the extension from .pdf to .mp3 to see if your sound is the same... I think this is the third one reported. See this thread. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...oming-from-Volt-Any-Ideas&highlight=solarexec

View attachment volt sound.pdf

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts