1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/28/better-buy-general-motors-company-vs-tesla.aspx

The 3.6% dividends GM pays out certainly beats the 0% Tesla pays out too. If you want to purely gamble on money, sure, toss some at TSLA. Maybe you'll come out ahead. Or your money will go straight into the TSLA cash incineration engine. :D

Looking at the 2 stocks, it's insane how undervalued GM is. And how overvalued and volitile TSLA is.
Tesla junk rated bonds are supposed to pay more. The question to ask with junk rated bonds is if you're okay with that kind of risk, and if you can afford the loss if they default.

I'm not. I'd rather invest in oil.

If you want dividend returns there are better stocks than GM, though 3.6% isn't all that bad I guess. It looks like GM dividends have risen over the last 2 years per share.

https://www.gm.com/investors/stocks/historical-dividends.html

GM stock prices have been a bit bouncy but have gone up recently (more recently dropped from an October high).

Market summary > General Motors Company

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I bought some GM at less than $30 1.5 years ago. A good investment. They have exceed their earning projections every quarter for several years now. They are profitable, however, they aren't showing much growth and investors are afraid of belt tightening in the automotive industry. GM has made smart investments, but not sure if they will have the growth that investors like.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I bought some GM at less than $30 1.5 years ago. A good investment. They have exceed their earning projections every quarter for several years now. They are profitable, however, they aren't showing much growth and investors are afraid of belt tightening in the automotive industry. GM has made smart investments, but not sure if they will have the growth that investors like.
Comparing the two as so many are fond of doing, they've both been in a slight decline since around October. Ford and FCA to a lesser degree are actually up from then. I have no idea what it means.

For GM I think things may really take off when they get that AV thing going. That's supposed to be a huge money maker for them.

I think maybe I should buy some GM. Hmmm........

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want dividend returns there are better stocks than GM, though 3.6% isn't all that bad I guess. It looks like GM dividends have risen over the last 2 years per share.

https://www.gm.com/investors/stocks/historical-dividends.html
I wanted to see where the 3.6% dividends fell as far as stocks go, and turns out that's nothing! Some company on the NASDAQ exchange offers 35%! Wow! I'm assuming the catch is that kind of company could go under at any time.
http://www.nasdaq.com/dividend-stocks/

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I wanted to see where the 3.6% dividends fell as far as stocks go, and turns out that's nothing! Some company on the NASDAQ exchange offers 35%! Wow! I'm assuming the catch is that kind of company could go under at any time.
The 35% one was $100+ per share two years ago. Today, it's $7. What's your impression from that? :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
TSLA's value as a start-up was priced on vision. It got an "A" for vision and still does. As the mainstream mass-market manufacturer it aspires to be, though, value has to be based on vision + execution + financial discipline. TSLA has about a D for execution for the Model 3 so far and and "F" for financial discipline. Their naked cash-grabs via the "reservation" game for future products still in development is a sure sign of financial panic. IMHO, TSLA is at so much risk of failure and so grossly over-priced now it isn't even funny.

Currently, in my estimation, GM has moved up from "C" to "A" for vision, based on Mary Barra's November Barclay's dramatic investor's presentation. GM's analysis and plans for the global and urban mobility market, autonomy, and EV development through 2023 is spot-on. Their execution is about a B. They have A level engineering and manufacturing, but C-grade marketing and legacy dealer issues dragging them down. Their financial discipline has moved from "F" pre-bankruptcy to "A" level now. Mary is constantly focused on both aggressive product review and development to maintain competitive market diversity and margin improvement. The balance sheets are looking pretty good.

GM vs TSLA? It isn't even a battle. As Wired Magazine said, GM has made a U-turn and it's a friggin' aircraft carrier going full-steam ahead. TSLA's looking more like a cardboard cut-out PT boat pretending to be an aircraft carrier. It could sink with a single unexpected rogue wave.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I have a few in that list. I like rolling dividends back in. 2017 has been a real banner year for us. Makes up for 2015 and then some.

GM vs TSLA? It isn't even a battle. As Wired Magazine said, GM has made a U-turn and it's a friggin' aircraft carrier going full-steam ahead. TSLA's looking more like a cardboard cut-out PT boat pretending to be an aircraft carrier. It could sink with a single unexpected rogue wave.
OUCH!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I like rolling dividends back in.
OK, my broker and I decided we would both buy (broker first, then me, we couldn't pull an HRC, LOL) MO (Altria) back in March 2009. I still have it. Compute the rate of return on that investment.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Most people focus on share prices and fail to realize that a majority of stock market returns come from dividends. It's why I prefer a portfolio biased towards value. Not sexy and you can't brag much but it gets the job done.

I think GM stock has gotten a bump because the stock is being viewed as a bit of a technology play in both electric vehicles and autonomy. The article doesn't mention this which to me is a significant failure. Then again that may be a good thing since most people trying to pick winners and losers end up underfperorming the market averages. So bad articles may be better than good ones.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
OK, my broker and I decided we would both buy (broker first, then me, we couldn't pull an HRC, LOL) MO (Altria) back in March 2009. I still have it. Compute the rate of return on that investment.
LOL - that's what I have an FA for. She put me in (suggested I buy) JNJ, but I recall Altria as a second choice.

Trading at $71.68, up from $15.49 in Jan 2009. Not too shabby.

Most people focus on share prices and fail to realize that a majority of stock market returns come from dividends.
Yep yep - great way to grow the portfolio. All of my stock holdings are dividend producers. AMZN might be a little sexy - not sure.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
AMZN might be a little sexy - not sure.
Another businessman has just noted that AMZN is exploiting an "accommodating loser", the USPS. Maybe the USPS will take the hint.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Another businessman has just noted that AMZN is exploiting an "accommodating loser", the USPS. Maybe the USPS will take the hint.
Competing directly with even in the delivery business, but this isn't a car dealer association anti-trust type issue. Or is it?

I dislike Bezos. Politics should never cloud investment decisions though.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
What else did you buy? My two favorite studies are: Glaser and Weber, who demonstrated that how well individual investors think they have done and how well they have done are unrelated ("The correlation coefficient between return estimates and realized returns is not distinguishable from zero"); and Dalbar, which estimated that, over a thirty year period, individual investors secured annual returns of 2.5% while the S&P index climbed over 11% annually. Another tidbit is that Ibbotson and Kaplan, when looking at asset allocation, security selection, and market timing, found asset allocation to account for more than 100% of absolute returns. For timing, the issue is that, as Keynes famously said, people "sell too late and buy too late and do both too often". Essentially, at this point Tesla stock has the potential to be like the internet socks of 1997-2002, where the time weighted return was +1.5% but the dollar weighted return was -72%. (The Morningstar study looked at 17 categories of mutual funds and estimated the difference between time and dollar weighted returns from growth stocks differed by 13%).

The USPS has its hands tied by politicians and its unions but mostly its a victim of the digital age.

All of my stock holdings are dividend producers. AMZN might be a little sexy - not sure.
Amazon has proven it can turn the profits on at will so its different. Plus its web servers are dong very well, though that type of thing can change very rapidly.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
My all-time best stock trades were buying aapl and akam in 2002. Now I’ve got put options on TSLA. I have no interest in buying GM stock.

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
My all-time best stock trades were buying aapl and akam in 2002. Now I’ve got put options on TSLA. I have no interest in buying GM stock.
Mine was buying Apple at 40. My worst was selling Apple at 44 after it crashed and recovered during the Job's ouster and return episode, lol.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What else did you buy?
March 2009? A fire sale on stocks was ongoing. That made it a no brainer, picked about 8 segment dominating companies with Fort Knox balance sheets. Coke, Exxon, General Dynamics, Walmart, MO etc.. I still own all of them.
MO I used as the example because not only the quadruple on the price but the dividend yield is outrageous based on the price I bought it at (15%).

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Mine was buying Apple at 40. My worst was selling Apple at 44 after it crashed and recovered during the Job's ouster and return episode, lol.
I wanted to buy JefFax at about $.50 or something. My wife said I was crazy so I demurred. It promptly went to $36. When friends asked if I was angry about this, I just laughed and pointed out I would have probably been totally sold out at $8. When you're trying to buy low and sell high you have to be right twice, and being right twice is much harder than being right just once.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
In 1997 I bought AAPL at $10, sold at $30/sh when the iMac was introduced, happy to triple my money. I learned a lesson to buy and hold as the stock climbed to $128. but during the heyday of DotCom, I was terrified of the insane prices, then DotBomb hit, and I piled in at AAPL at $13 per share. I sold at various points at $250-400 per share, but don’t regret selling as I ended the cash at the time to send the middle child to college. So my current strategy is to buy and hold and not sell unless I need the money for something worthy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts