GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allow me to make a motion to create a new Volt wait list to supply to GM now that the Volt is real, combined with the fact that the current wait list is based on the euphoria surrounding the show car. This would be the "wait list" that matters, and it should be based simply on the following:

“I’m ready and willing to pay approximately $35,000 to drive the production version of the Volt when it becomes available in 2010, please contact me.”

I’m ready and willing. Any seconds to my motion?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't know if it would be good to try and filter out demand for the vehicle. Hopefully they would weed out the weak if they started contacting people on the list. It is however this large list and enthusiasm that has inspired GM to progress on this.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Good idea. Not sure GM would like the results though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why make a new list?

If the people don't want one, the sellers will simply move on to the next person.

Not that GM is going to use the list in a serious manner anyway.

Probably, they will just send the contact info to local dealers and have them contact you.

I do not think the will go "ok - your number 343 on the list, we have Volt 343 ready - want it?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Why make a new list?

If the people don't want one, the sellers will simply move on to the next person.

Not that GM is going to use the list in a serious manner anyway.

Probably, they will just send the contact info to local dealers and have them contact you.

I do not think the will go "ok - your number 343 on the list, we have Volt 343 ready - want it?" :rolleyes:
I agree with this assessment completely. I can assure you that just because you are #343 on this list, it won't mean you are absolutely assured even to get one. Especially if the dealership in your area doesn't actively pursue the "sales leads" the list will provides- they just might be completely sold-out with those that have put down deposits.
JMO
WopOnTour

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarification

You guys missed my point so allow me to clarify.

In my opinion, the point of the wait list is not to determine the order of who will get the first productions Volts; the purpose is to determine how many people are serious about purchasing one. There has been much discussion lately on how many people are still interested given the fact that the production Volt doesn't look exactly like the show car, and it will likely cost $35K plus. So given those two pieces of critical information, how many people still want one?

Whether you are #1 on the list or #10,000 is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, however more is better!

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
No, I don't believe anyone misunderstood you at all.
What possible incentive is there to create a "new" list?
Few believe any corporation is going to seriously utilize such a list to represent a definitive expression of interest any vehicle. Defining the exact design variant that initiated the interest, while perhaps interesting to some, won't really mean anything as everyone's already moved on.
A poll of over 2500 respondents on the main page indicates that a composite total of 59% like the new design.
Assuming someone even contacts you regarding the indicated interest, if you're no longer interested in the Volt you can inform them at that time.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I don't believe anyone misunderstood you at all.
What possible incentive is there to create a "new" list?
Accuracy -- the current list is based on the show car, not reality.

Few believe any corporation is going to seriously utilize such a list to represent a definitive expression of interest any vehicle. Defining the exact design variant that initiated the interest, while perhaps interesting to some, won't really mean anything as everyone's already moved on.
I disagree with you on this point. If a potential customer is willing to sign a list that says I'm interested in purchasing the production Volt and I'm willing to pay around $35,000 to drive one, then why wouldn't GM have a dealer follow up? Granted, it's not binding until you sign a contract, but it is most definitely an expression of interest.

A poll of over 2500 respondents on the main page indicates that a composite total of 59% like the new design. Assuming someone even contacts you regarding the indicated interest, if you're no longer interested in the Volt you can inform them at that time.
WopOnTour
True, but then it was Lyle's idea to provide the list to GM to foot stomp the point that people want this vehicle. So if he is going to go to the trouble, why not base this list on the production version? Of course, that’s just my opinion; the world will keep turning regardless.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I hear what you are saying. But to start the list completely over shouldn't be necessary and IMO potentially harmful statistically to the compiled data as it would force those that may have already expressed an interest based on the TECHNOLOGY (not necessarily the design) to have to sign "the petition" again.

True those that are no longer interested because of the new design would be dropped, but what's the harm in contacting them anyways? (assuming that's the intent) Why would you want to filter the pool of data based on their CURRENT level of interest? Then what about those that put their names in the hat, expressing interest, (with the understanding that someone, someday will attempt to contact them) and have never been back to this site since? Where will they be? Left off the list??
JMO
WopOnTour

·
Registered
495 Posts
GM won't go through this website for an official waiting list. They might compile a list of names to spam or pass on to dealers as sales leads, but this site won't be the official list. This waiting list is simply to prove to GM that there is interest.

If you are really interested in being first in line, your best bet would be to contact dealers around your area and ask them if they intend to sell the Volt, and if so, ask if you could place a deposit down to be the first buyer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts