GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Probably the OEM GY for a Gen 1 and the Michelin's for a Gen II.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Until tire LRR ratings occur (aka ABCDEFGH) like Europe your best bets are Ecopia EP422+ and the OEM tires.

Even the conticontact pro cotton mouth blah blah blah ecopro etc tires aren't any better in the real world

and everything else results in range loss.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Probably 4 16" Cadillac spares. Of course not a realistic option for most people :)

I vote for Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max OEM tires.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
For efficiency/economy it seems like Chevy actually did some research before settling on the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max OEM tires.
But don't get me started on puncture resistance or the apparent lack thereof 'cause since I got the car in December I've patched the tires more than anything other than my Jeep and the Jeep gets a pass due to all the offroad running.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Even the conticontact pro cotton mouth blah blah blah ecopro etc tires aren't any better in the real world

and everything else results in range loss.
Hmmm, as a super commuter (180 miles a day) who has worn out a set of OEM tires on my 2012 and a set of Continental ProContact's (w/Ecoplus) I can say with assurance that I did get better mileage/range from the Conti's, better handling, and quieter performance. Not to mention the increased durability/damage resistance a bit of extra rubber adds to the mix - that and the fact that the OEM's went 53K miles before needing replacement and I replaced the Conti's after they had gone 93K miles (Yeah, add it up - I've got well over 150K on my car - not a record but certainly enough to speak to this issue). The only downside to the ProContact's is that they are no longer available <Sigh>. Their replacement, the TrueContact, gets a very high rating from Tire Rack (best in it's category) and it lives up to it in all respects except electrical range - I'm down about 2-4 miles per charge at this point, but the tires are still new and wearing in (plus we've had a good bit of wind to fight recently) so we'll see how they perform after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
For efficiency/economy it seems like Chevy actually did some research before settling on the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max OEM tires.
But don't get me started on puncture resistance or the apparent lack thereof 'cause since I got the car in December I've patched the tires more than anything other than my Jeep and the Jeep gets a pass due to all the offroad running.
Zero issues with my OEM assurance tires. Zero.

what PSI do you tend to run?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I replaced the OEM tires with True Contacts about 10,000 miles ago (62,000 ODO). Significantly better tires for improved traction and lower noise. Expect to lose around 2-3 miles AER.

Could be from smaller worn circumference vs new larger circumference. Who knows. Regardless, I would choose the Continental Tires again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
had 1 OEM sidewall start to come apart and both fronts were a bit dry rotted so I just ordered 2 more OEMs. The other 2 tires still have 7/32s left so I left them for now.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Zero issues with my OEM assurance tires. Zero.

what PSI do you tend to run?
40 psi. It's all been screws, nails, that sort of thing. Possibly just a run of bad luck but I drove the same commute with my Jeep for years without all the punctures.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
In theory, the best tires have no rolling resistance or flexure, and a minimal contact point. They exist on steam trains for over 150 years: Steel wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts