GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.torquenews.com/397/six-most-overlooked-cars-commuters

The six most overlooked cars for commuters

Here are six overlooked cars that could make our daily drive better, but generally don't just because they are new, somehow different or don’t fit the image we want.

Chevy Volt
Perhaps the most advanced car on the road for under $40K, the Chevy Volt has failed to sell for reasons beyond comprehension. It is new technology, but seems just like the cars you’re used to. It does not need any new infrastructure and has an unlimited range just like a gasoline car, but it burns the fuel much more efficiently.

At an Chevrolet press dinner last week, Christi Landy, Chevrolet Product Marketing Director for Volt, Sonic and Spark, told the assembly the average Volt owner gets 900 miles between fill-ups, seeing a gas station only once a month.

All you need to charge it is a standard electrical outlet within 12 feet of where you park. One acquaintance told us of a friend who works in areas where no electricity is available for charging. He drives 32 miles to his workplace, unfolds a solar panel on the roof and plugs it into the car, thus gaining enough power during the day to drive back home via clean, free solar energy. If it’s cloudy, he used less than a gallon of gas to get back home and recharge.

Perhaps a little technical for some of us, but everyone understands a $7500 tax deduction. In Colorado, you can add a $6000 state credit to that one. In simple terms, the Chevy Volt makes perfect sense for a lot of people completely unaware of that fact.​

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
SNIP

All you need to charge it is a standard electrical outlet within 12 feet of where you park. One acquaintance told us of a friend who works in areas where no electricity is available for charging. He drives 32 miles to his workplace, unfolds a solar panel on the roof and plugs it into the car, thus gaining enough power during the day to drive back home via clean, free solar energy. If it’s cloudy, he used less than a gallon of gas to get back home and recharge.

Hard to see a portable solar unit for charging.. would have to supply at least 8ams if its using the EVSE. Maybe its a direct connect in some way? To get 30miles of charte it would have to generate nearly 9-12kw to which is a pretty pig portable solar unit.

·
8,680 Posts
Hard to see a portable solar unit for charging.. would have to supply at least 8ams if its using the EVSE. Maybe its a direct connect in some way? To get 30miles of charte it would have to generate nearly 9-12kw to which is a pretty pig portable solar unit.
It's a little hard to picture. There are kit built EVSE's out there (couple big MNL threads on them) that allow selecting a current of your choice across the whole J1772 range (which I think is 6-40 Amps?) To get ~12 kWh in a ~6 hour solar day (equivalent full sun - in Delaware we average a 4.5-5 hour solar day over the year - 6 is more typical of CA or AZ.) you'd need around 2kW of panels - 8 250W panels, each 39"*65" and around 40 pounds, plus an inverter solution. Possible to carry in the back? sure, with the seats folded. Fit on the roof? not so much. Convenient to set up at work, not so much.

Maybe someday, if panel efficiencies get close to unity, it'll be practical to run a car for a day off the power you can get from it's roof. Right now it just isn't. (So I put 4.7kW of US made panels and microinverters on my garage roof instead. :) )

·
Registered
309 Posts
BS like that is just as damaging to the Volt's reputation as "battery died in the Lincoln tunnel".

No portable PV system will charge the Volt 32 miles worth during a working day.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He drives 32 miles to his workplace, unfolds a solar panel on the roof and plugs it into the car
Yeah, it's noteworthy that this is reported as heresay.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah, it's noteworthy that this is reported as heresay.
It's not enough, it's still in print. Someone should ask the author to retract that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have more of a problem with the marketing branch that names cars. venza sounds like it will take my money and spit cans of soda at me. that's why it don't sell. toyota should have rehashed some retro names like cressida or crown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts