GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Volt enthusiasts:

I've been looking at threads for a while about headlight improvements. I purchased on off-lease 2015 Volt Premium earlier this year, and while I've been very happy with the car overall, like many of you, I'm disappointed in the headlights. I typically drive to work around 7 AM in the morning and drive home after 5 PM, and of course, during this time of year, it's dark in both directions, so it's easy to see how poor the stock headlamps really are. The first thing I did was replace the original halogen bulbs with new Philips Ultra bulbs, which helped a little, but really didn't do much.

So, after a bit of research, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Morimoto 2 Stroke 2.0 LED's from Lightwerkz, an authorized dealer (available their website and on eBay).

Installation was easy, and the drivers easily fit in the housings with the cap replaced. The bulbs worked instantly with no delay, flicker, or other issues.

So, here are some before and after pictures:

Light Lighting Darkness Night Floor
Light Lighting Parking Room Darkness
Light Lighting Darkness Night Building
Darkness Building Architecture Room Garage

A bit of a disclaimer here-----the before and after pictures were taken when the vehicle was in a slightly different position, since I took the before pictures the night before I changed the bulbs, then put the car in the garage, changed the bulbs the next morning, then pulled it out that night for the "after" pictures.

Metadata from the digital pictures confirms that the new LED's are indeed brighter. My own observation is that the bulbs are slightly brighter than the stock halogens, and as others have observed, the whiter color temperature makes things "pop" more while driving. Overall, especially for the low beams, the light pattern seems pretty much the same between the halogens and LED's, so I'm relieved about that.

Because of the holidays, I won't commute again until after the first of the year, so I haven't yet experienced the real world test of the LED's. At this point, however, I'm satisfied that this is a good upgrade. Time will tell about the LED bulb longevity, but they come with a 3-year warranty.

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy 2019!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, if anyone is interested, Lightwerkz has these on sale on eBay through today only for $102 including shipping. I believe their website may have a similar price, but I'm not sure if it includes shipping. I have no interest in the seller, but I'm pointing out the price savings in case anyone wants to take advantage of the low price today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9012-Morim...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the post. I also ordered a set of these and they are on their way.

theretrofitsource.com has these for $102 as well after applying the 15% off code "CHRISTMASLIGHTS15"

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Not accounting for different position of car (seems to be abought the same) the low beam with the cut off seems about the same spread wise whereas the high beam has a noticeable high reach which will be noticed as excessive glare to on coming traffic. Not a big deal when driving on divided highways but could be problematic on two lane roads. I read years ago that the eye sees yellow light better that white (might be especially noticeable in foggy, rainy or snowy conditions) and the reflection is brighter with whiter light so the extra glare of road signs could be fatiguing on the eyes. The trade offs would be different for each person as eyes/brains are different. Pros and cons to each.

·
Registered
209 Posts
By the way, if anyone is interested, Lightwerkz has these on sale on eBay through today only for $102 including shipping. I believe their website may have a similar price, but I'm not sure if it includes shipping. I have no interest in the seller, but I'm pointing out the price savings in case anyone wants to take advantage of the low price today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9012-Morim...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
No issue with Canbus compatibility?

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for pointing that out, FI Spyder. I actually had noticed the high-beam high reach on the right side when I posted the pictures. The next day, I checked the installation of the right bulb and found that I didn't have the bulb properly twist-locked in the housing. Once I fixed that, the high beam pattern is almost identical to the pattern for the halogens. I haven't had the chance to take another set of pictures, but I'll try to do so in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, FI Spyder. I actually had noticed the high-beam high reach on the right side when I posted the pictures. The next day, I checked the installation of the right bulb and found that I didn't have the bulb properly twist-locked in the housing. Once I fixed that, the high beam pattern is almost identical to the pattern for the halogens. I haven't had the chance to take another set of pictures, but I'll try to do so in the next few days.
I've had the same problem getting all 3 tabs properly locked down. Some of the reviews I've read say that the O-ring is often too thick on these aftermarket bulbs and by using the O-ring on the original halogen the new bulbs were easier to install and fit better.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Not accounting for different position of car (seems to be abought the same) the low beam with the cut off seems about the same spread wise whereas the high beam has a noticeable high reach which will be noticed as excessive glare to on coming traffic. Not a big deal when driving on divided highways but could be problematic on two lane roads. I read years ago that the eye sees yellow light better that white (might be especially noticeable in foggy, rainy or snowy conditions) and the reflection is brighter with whiter light so the extra glare of road signs could be fatiguing on the eyes. The trade offs would be different for each person as eyes/brains are different. Pros and cons to each.
High beams shouldn’t be on with traffic visible. And LEDs are bad for all eyes. Glare and to much foreground light. Messes with the pupils and takes away night vision. Ideal headlights put out around 4300K. LEDs put out around 6000k typically.

·
Registered
283 Posts
High beams shouldn’t be on with traffic visible. And LEDs are bad for all eyes. Glare and to much foreground light. Messes with the pupils and takes away night vision. Ideal headlights put out around 4300K. LEDs put out around 6000k typically.
Foreground light is exactly what you need when you're battling an oncoming "bro" truck with HIDs stuck in the headlights, fog lights, and a light bar or two. Drivers of these should be pulled out and beaten, imo.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Foreground light is exactly what you need when you're battling an oncoming "bro" truck with HIDs stuck in the headlights, fog lights, and a light bar or two. Drivers of these should be pulled out and beaten, imo.
...or have all four of his tires flattened!:p

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
@hiperco
I hope that you can give us a subjective evaluation of nighttime driving with the LEDs vs OEM lights. I installed XtremeVision V4 32W LEDs that I feel have the same luminance as the OEM lights but do have higher correlated color temperature that I find better for contrast at night.

·
Registered
283 Posts
@hiperco
I hope that you can give us a subjective evaluation of nighttime driving with the LEDs vs OEM lights. I installed XtremeVision V4 32W LEDs that I feel have the same luminance as the OEM lights but do have higher correlated color temperature that I find better for contrast at night.
I love mine. On my second week and no regrets. Haven't been flashed yet either, even when I've forgotten to lower the high beams so oncoming traffic doesnt object. Dodged a few cats and a mouse. Yes, I clearly saw a mouse running in the road thanks to these headlights. A deer is going to look like a billboard all lit up.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To close the loop on my original post, I've had three days of commuting to work this week. My commute is about 19 miles each way through rural, narrow back roads with plenty of deer in the area. At this time of year, my round trip commute is in the dark, so this has been a great opportunity to test the new Morimoto LED headlight bulbs.

My subjective impression is the same as hiperco's ---- these are a definite improvement! I believe they are brighter and the 5700K color temperature makes surroundings "pop". An important consideration for me is that I can see the deer and other wildlife along the side of the road more clearly.

So, overall, I'm very happy. These bulbs are truly plug and play, they fit within the stock headlight housings with the stock dust caps, and the driving experience is a definite improvement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I pulled the trigger on these Morimoto 2.0's when they went on sale recently. Today, I finally got around to installing them in my 2012. Like most gen 1 owners around here, I was constantly irritated/confounded with how unbelievably bad/unsafe the stock halogens are. They really are about as good as having two weak flashlights duct taped to the front of the car. Anyway, the install took about 10 minutes, literally (prepped before on YouTube with how to move the air filter out of the way on passenger side). Couldn't have been easier and didn't have any problems with the Morimoto O-rings being too big, like others have said. They fit and twisted into place perfectly. They truly are plug and play with plenty of room for everything using the stock dustcaps.

Used them for the first time coming home from dinner tonight. Well, now I know what it's like to have headlights again! They are simply awesome. They have the brightness, color temperature, and coverage that should have come from GM originally. I don't have any fancy lux meter or anything, but my wife even noticed a big difference! And that is saying something, lol! With stock, I would have to turn the interior display brightness almost all the way down to even see that the headlights were on. With these Morimoto's, I can have full interior display brightness and still see light in front of the car. So, that's a tremendous improvement. I've read people complain about the mag-lev fan noise, but honestly I can't hear the fans unless my ear is next to the dustcap. When driving or stopped at a light, I didn't notice any fan noise at all.

Anyway, if you've been on the sidelines like I'd been for the past few years, wait no more. These are SO much better than stock, reasonably priced, and plug and play with no mods needed. I can't recommend them enough.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
So these Morimoto 2.0's are LED, not HID, correct? I've seen them called HID on other forums with people saying they sometimes won't "ignite" unless they use the anti-flicker harness.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts