GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yesterday morning, while driving to the office downtown and stopped at a light, I looked over and noticed an unshaven fat man in an older, junked up SUV making rather animated expressions of disapproval in my direction. He then sped off to the turn lane.

This reminded me that it was time for another installment of Weirdos At Gas Stations. This is where we gratuitously remind all the newbie Volt owners just what they're missing by not having to frequent the gas station:

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The first one is amazing. YIKES! Hopefully no one got hurt. Wonder how much the woman's credit card was charged? Seems like she paid for A LOT of gas.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Even Romney does not look happy having to spend all that money filling up.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Reminds me, I came home from the grocery store last night and found a dent in my Volt's passenger side door that looks like it got hit with a cart, low and along the character crease that extends from the front wheel well. There weren't that many people or cars there at 10:30pm, and I was parked kind of far away. One always has to wonder if somebody nailed it on purpose because their sad excuse for a mind hates the Volt. But I will never know.

Will be getting the services of a paintless dent repair service in New Jersey. Any recommendations for that?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The first one is amazing. YIKES! Hopefully no one got hurt. Wonder how much the woman's credit card was charged? Seems like she paid for A LOT of gas.
Yeah... I had assumed that the break-away device automatically shut off the flow of fuel in such a situation. Actually, it did when my ex-wife did a similar thing at 1 AM. The way she tells the story about the attendant running after her and waving his arms to get her to stop and her confusion over why he was doing that always gets a smile from me. No gas was spilled, which was a good thing!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Even Romney does not look happy having to spend all that money filling up.
Romney actually pumps his own gas? Must have been chauffeur's day off I guess.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

I gotta admit. If I saw this at gas stations a lot, I'd probably find reasons to visit the gas station more often.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I live in a fairly conservative area and consider myself to be quite conservative on most issues as well. Hint: Michelle Bachmann represents us... I have never experienced anything negative regarding our Volt ownership just curious questions and amateur math. lol. Consider this James. So many of your posts are outright hostile towards conservatives and Republicans in general, seems you rarely miss an opportunity to take a jab, so perhaps you are a lot closer to your buddy in the junky SUV then you think? Food for thought. Not trying to upset you, just want you to stop and think a little as we all have our hypocritical moments. Have a good day James.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
URon, I think you hit the nail on the head. We frequently find what we are looking for. I am not sure James was blaming it on conservatives but that has been the schtick of several posters so i read it that way too.
Another conservative Volt owner.

I live in a fairly conservative area and consider myself to be quite conservative on most issues as well. Hint: Michelle Bachmann represents us... I have never experienced anything negative regarding our Volt ownership just curious questions and amateur math. lol. Consider this James. So many of your posts are outright hostile towards conservatives and Republicans in general, seems you rarely miss an opportunity to take a jab, so perhaps you are a lot closer to your buddy in the junky SUV then you think? Food for thought. Not trying to upset you, just want you to stop and think a little as we all have our hypocritical moments. Have a good day James.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Consider this James. So many of your posts are outright hostile towards conservatives and Republicans in general, seems you rarely miss an opportunity to take a jab, so perhaps you are a lot closer to your buddy in the junky SUV then you think? Food for thought. Not trying to upset you, just want you to stop and think a little as we all have our hypocritical moments. Have a good day James.
Ron, I did not see anything hostile toward conservatives OR Republicans in this thread. But your post seems to lean that way.

...Now where can I find a barefoot gas station attendant like that?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ron, I did not see anything hostile toward conservatives OR Republicans in this thread. But your post seems to lean that way.

...Now where can I find a barefoot gas station attendant like that?
Why include an unflattering picture of a politician in a thread about "gas station weirdos" if not to be hostile?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well said Ronr64

·
Registered
284 Posts
Steve - You are correct regarding this posting, to use the word "hostile" is way overblown. I am referring to some of his posts in the past. When I originally read James post I was ammused with the various pictures and then came to the Romney one... Like I said, never misses an opportunity... From anyone else it to would have been just as amusing as any other politician from either side but from some it just gets old and especially ironic when the premise of the post is the prejudicial actions of non-Volt drivers.

I have posted before regarding that some Volt advocates are hostile towards Republican and conservatives in general. Now to be clear I am not calling for censorship in any way rather that people try to be polite and self-censor themselves. You cannot on the one hand champion the Volt - or any similar vehicles - and also denigrate 1/2 the population and expect your words/actions to increase the adoption of electrified cars or to help them to be main stream. IMHO those who do so are every bit responsible for the politicization of electrified vehicles as any conservative pundit or Republican politician or "faux" news as they so like to always say. With tax rebates and EPA mandates etc. it is impossible to keep politics out of the discussion here but I think we all need to try to have our political discussions regarding the Volt without denigrating the other side/opinions and in doing so alienating other Volt or future Volt owners from this site.

With all that said I think I am done commenting on this post. It wasn't my intention to turn it into a "let's bash James" post. Rather I just wanted him to reflect a bit. Anymore and I am in danger - or perhaps already have - of being a bit hypocritical myself.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If the picture was of Obama, would that be okay? (Maybe we should move this to the political thread...)

While apolitical, I am appalled by the complete lack of respect for our current president. Maybe I am wrong, but I do not recall any US president being targeted by such maliciousness, and that includes very bad presidents from both sides of the aisle.

Is it okay to portray Obama as a Nazi or worse, but not okay to show Romney (or someone who looks like him) pumping gas? By the way, that Romney picture can be found all over the web, with much worse captions. https://www.google.com/search?q=Romney+At+Gas+Station

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If the picture was of Obama, would that be okay? (Maybe we should move this to the political thread...)

While apolitical, I am appalled by the complete lack of respect for our current president. Maybe I am wrong, but I do not recall any US president being targeted by such maliciousness, and that includes very bad presidents from both sides of the aisle.

Is it okay to portray Obama as a Nazi or worse, but not okay to show Romney (or someone who looks like him) pumping gas? By the way, that Romney picture can be found all over the web, with much worse captions. https://www.google.com/search?q=Romney+At+Gas+Station

Simply not relevant to this thread.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I believe Ron's tone of his responses and original statement has made it clear that he would prefer not to bash anyone and keep the love of the Volt on message and not portray it as an us against them political statement.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My 2 cents: Getting a Volt should not be a political statement and should not be part of any Volt specific political debate. Whether you are Republican, Democrat or I-dont-care, buy the car for what it is worth. Is the Volt the right car for you? Very likely! There are bound to be a few use cases where the Volt may not make perfect sense but it is very difficult to go terribly wrong with a Volt. IMHO, tt is the best of both worlds, and bridges the gap/transition between Gasoline and EV very elegantly! After getting my Volt, I rarely ever see a reason to get my SUV out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, some of these guys are so full of themselves they can't take a joke.
It is delightful that these guys are so easily tortured by the posting of a photograph of a disheveled man who had ridiculed electric vehicle companies and owners as "losers". lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts