GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I,m in Quebec and i'm jalous of the Ontario's programs, for the exception that a ZEV law was just annouced last friday in Quebec, but Hey! Can't expect much from a bunch of doctors running the province. Your $14k rebate against our $8k looks mighty enticing!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm looking forward to this announcement, my car (hopefully) gets built this week and maybe I'll get more for my clunker trade in. I just hope these kick in before my car gets delivered.

Cheers,
Tross

·
Registered
425 Posts
As you stated we shall see come Wednesday. Many of the leaked details of the climate plan have been so far proven not to be true.
seems like it is .... https://www.ontario.ca/page/climate-change-action-plan

2) Increase the use of electric vehicles
Greenhouse gas pollution from cars account for more emissions than from industries like iron, steel, cement and chemicals combined. This action will help get more people into electric vehicles and lower greenhouse gases. It will:

2.1 Maintain incentives for electric vehicles
Ontario intends to extend the rebate program to 2020 for leasing or buying an eligible electric vehicle (up to $14,000 per vehicle), including rebates for purchase and installation of home charging stations (up to $1,000 per station).

2.2 Eliminate HST on zero emission vehicles
Ontario will work with the federal government to explore ways to provide full-HST relief to purchasers of new battery electric vehicles, with the objective of introducing this relief by 2018.

2.3 Free overnight electric vehicle charging
The province intends to establish a four-year free overnight electric vehicle-charging program for residential and multi-unit residential customers starting in 2017. Charging electric cars at night can help balance electricity system demands and potentially reduce costs associated with exporting excess electricity overnight. Ontario intends to work with utilities to transition this program to an optional enhanced time-of-day charging program. The goal would be to lower overall electricity bills for homes that charge vehicles.

2.4 Replace older vehicles
The province intends to help get older and less fuel-efficient vehicles off the roads by offering a rebate to low- and moderate-income households that will help them replace old cars with new or used electric vehicles or a plug-in hybrid.

2.5 Ensure charging infrastructure is widely available
Ontario intends to increase access to the infrastructure required to charge electric vehicles by ensuring the following:

2.5.1 More charging stations
The province intends to invest in the rapid deployment of charging in workplaces, multi-unit residential buildings, downtowns and town centres. Ontario will encourage ONroute locations to equip themselves with high-speed chargers. It will further encourage the federal government to invest in high-speed, [DC] fast-charging infrastructure on inter-provincial highways and highways that connect Ontario to the United States.

2.5.2 Electric-vehicle-ready homes
Ontario intends to require all new homes and townhomes with garages to be constructed with a 50-amp, 240-volt receptacle (plug) in the garage for the purpose of charging an electric vehicle. These receptacles can be used with home charging stations andreadily available at retail locations and are compatible with all plug-in hybrid and electric cars.

2.5.3 Electric-vehicle-ready workplaces
Ontario intends to establish a requirement that, as of 2018, all newly built commercial office buildings and appropriate workplaces must provide charging infrastructure. The workplace is the second most common place to charge electric vehicles after the home. Workplace charging is particularly critical to people living in multi-residential buildings who may not have access to a home-based plug.

2.6 Electric and Hydrogen Advancement Program
Starting in 2017, vehicle manufacturers that offer their customers access to Ontario’s Electric Vehicle Incentive Program will need to participate in an Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Advancement Program. This program will recognize manufacturers that exhibit performance in advance zero-emission vehicle sales, marketing, infrastructure and public awareness.

2.7 Increase public awareness
Ontario will work with Plug’n Drive, a non-profit electric vehicle advocacy organization, to establish and operate a facility to showcase electric vehicles and related technology to Ontarians across the province.

·
2,356 Posts
Nice! Though this might delay us replacing my wife's Sonic with a BEV until 2018 to try to take advantage of the sales tax benefit.
With the election coming June 2018, I think I might replace our van next year. I can imagine the PCs might target "tax credits for wealthy EV buyers" (not the poor regular folk who can only afford F-150s) as part of their platform.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pre-announcing a possible HST credit that may happen in 2018 before it's even been negotiated with the Federal government is a terrible mistake. All this does is make many who may have considered an electric vehicle to now sit on the sidelines waiting for this HST credit to kick in. This should have only been announced once it was ready to roll out and then make it retroactive for a few months to catch the number of purchasers that had recently bought a new EV. Let's fast-forward to sometime in 2017 when the HST credit is confirmed for the following year, EV manufacturers can pretty much kiss off most sales in Ontario until then.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
another little boost - not entirely unexpected, but welcome nonetheless. permanent HOV lane access

https://gtevs.blogspot.ca/2016/06/hov-lane-access-permanence-granted.html

MTO URL here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/green-licence-plate.shtml
Phew....I actually had a friend who just bought a volt, and HOV was a major selling point to get his wife on board...I knew about the permanent application and that they would likely extend it 1 more year at the very least...but now I can tell him he can breathe easy and wont get clobbered by his wife :)

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sure would be nice if got free access to the 407 as well.... that'd be a big selling feature. I'm eager to see the details on the free electricity at night. If the sales tax rebate kicks in soon enough it might convince me to trade my 2012 volt in on a new one....

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts