GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am speechless, But I call BS

Not directed at you, Jason, but that article is a public relations stunt. I manage a state fleet of 98 vehicles, and I can assure you there is no working hydrogen or even an E85 station at the state's capitol. It's a white wash, a political sham. My driver's are frustrated and can't even find propane on a consistent basis. "let them eat diesel "

"The electrolyzer will make enough hydrogen for about seven cars per day with 40kg of storage. The electrolyzer is powered with Green Energy from the LA Department of Water and Power."

Typical for a politician. Seven cars a day. A real knock out punch. Using power that is competing with office workers AC and what ever else.

Please people, don't believe everything you see or hear on the web or the media. Me included.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

That's the age old question isn't it. Now update that to the 21st centrury. "Which came first, the hydrogen fueling station or the hydrogen car?" Actually, who cares so long as it happens.

Jump back 100 years when the gasoline engine was making itself known and the automobile was still a novilty for most people. Steam ruled the industrial roost back then. There were steam cars, and they were reliable, easy to fuel, and there were lots of mechanics who knew how to work on a steam engine. Standard Oil didn't have a gas station in every town in hopes that perhaps someone would build more ICE cars that burned gasoline. No, that wasn't the way it happened at all. Tinkerers and enthusiasts built or bought some early gasoline powered cars. They would srounge around to find some gasoline, often in hardware stores or drug stores, and they'd fill a small tank and take off to see where they could go. Cross country trips often involved as much searching for fuel as they did tweeking the car and fighting the poor roads to get there. Eventually when there was a market for the fuel, businesses starting supplying gasoline to meet the demand.

Using the reasoning of those who say hydrogen can't work because it's not a redily available fuel, the gasoine automobile should never have worked either. We should still all be driving steam cars because we could burn Kerosene or wood or coal to boil water and make steam. Those fuels were redily available in 1900, gasoline was not. But gasoline won the day because the ICE had advantages over steam. Eventually when there were enough gasoline powered cars service stations sprung up to supply the fuel.

So let's not poo-poo the idea of a hydrogen car just because there are few places where the owner can buy hydrogen right now. When push comes to shove, there's always the local welding supply store or compressed gas dealer. It would be no worse that trying to find gasoline in 1900. Ney-sayers can always find a reason why something won't work. Dreamers can always dream of ways to make things work. Enthusiasts will always push the envelope of technology. In the end a workable technology will win the day, and I believe that hydrogen will be a winning technology. When it hits critical mass it will take off. I would not want to be the one standing in front trying to hold it back when that happens because I might just get run over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Using the reasoning of those who say hydrogen can't work because it's not a redily available fuel, the gasoine automobile should never have worked either.
The difference is gasoline was a byproduct of oil production, meaning it took very little energy to make, yet has very high energy density. Hydrogen takes a substantial amount of energy to make and offers less energy density or fueling convenience, whether burned in an ICE or used in a fuel cell.

·
Registered
636 Posts
They feed at the trough

Pennor, not saying hydrogen can't work, I just want to spot light the headline grabbing clowns getting all the lime light. A few years ago it was supposed to be propane power. Why cant they stick to solving world hunger and feeding the babies in North Korea ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
How about "I don't want the equivilent of the Hindenburg on the back of every car in America" arguement?

Hardly ever hear that one mentioned:confused:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Tired of the paradigm

I would prefer not having to "go somewhere and fill up" - gasoline, hydrogen, or ethanol. I would like to cut "big oil" out of the picture as much as possible. What have they done for the average joe lately, other than screw him at the pumps?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would prefer not having to "go somewhere and fill up" - gasoline, hydrogen, or ethanol. I would like to cut "big oil" out of the picture as much as possible. What have they done for the average joe lately, other than screw him at the pumps?
You're just switching drugs, and dealers are all the same. It appears that solar panels won't be sold at home depot, as dealers buy up the supply and either sell the electricity or lease / sell the home installation.

You are better off planting a field of Jatropha Curcas and buying a diesel.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Home Depot and Ace Hardware are touting solar panels. Of course, you can't buy them off the shelf, you have to talk with customer service and start from there. They have list of local installers. Some solar PV companies are endorsed by Home Depot and Ace Hardware and have brochures of their products at the stores.

But the price.... man, the price.... Is Through the ROOF! :eek:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Where. . . ?

Home Depot and Ace Hardware are touting solar panels. Of course, you can't buy them off the shelf, you have to talk with customer service and start from there. They have list of local installers. Some solar PV companies are endorsed by Home Depot and Ace Hardware and have brochures of their products at the stores.

But the price.... man, the price.... Is Through the ROOF! :eek:
No, dude, the price is ON the roof! :D

·
3,689 Posts
To the poster that said we should feed the hungry and save the babies... Sorry but if we don't solve the energy crisis we can't afford anymore people. Educated, healthy people require more energy. That is the fact of the situation. Solve the energy problem first. Then you can solve the other problems of the world. Doing anything else only causes more suffering or takes energy away from someone else. Make sense? Good.

No. The problem is not that there are no hydrogen stations. The problem is that BEVs and hybrids are just better, cheaper and more efficient. Hydrogen is an energy whore. Period. It might be good for some applications but the BEV will take most of the market. Place your bets. I did.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To the poster that said we should feed the hungry and save the babies... Sorry but if we don't solve the energy crisis we can't afford anymore people. Educated, healthy people require more energy. That is the fact of the situation. Solve the energy problem first. Then you can solve the other problems of the world. Doing anything else only causes more suffering or takes energy away from someone else. Make sense? Good.
For once, we agree. It's like the parent on the airplane, who should put their oxygen mask on first, before helping their children with their oxygen masks. The civilized world can be no help to the destitute, if their own civilization is collapsing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Poster Boys

To the poster on the poster on the poster.........we agree. I was expressing my sarcastic contempt for politicians seizing any little twig to perch on. In this case the Hydrogen car. Peace out. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Someone please explain, why are people so excited about inefficient and expensive hydrogen fuel cell cars when BEVs are such a superior solution?

I used to think hydrogen was cool until I realized how ridiculously inefficient or unclean the hydrogen process is, how expensive and fragile fuel cells are, and the challenges required to store and distribute hydrogen. Why not just use electricity and skip the middle man?

·
3,689 Posts
Someone please explain, why are people so excited about inefficient and expensive hydrogen fuel cell cars when BEVs are such a superior solution?

I used to think hydrogen was cool until I realized how ridiculously inefficient or unclean the hydrogen process is, how expensive and fragile fuel cells are, and the challenges required to store and distribute hydrogen. Why not just use electricity and skip the middle man?

I'm with you on this. The BEV is just so much better. The main point of the argument I think comes down to the following point:

What will win the market - A quick-charge battery or a cost effective fuel cell system. I'm betting on the quick-charge battery coming earlier and cheaper and others are betting on hydrogen and it's infrastructure getting here faster. Both are several years away so the debate continues. That's why I say, "place your bets!" We will know in 5 years who was right.

I just want to have my solar cells charging my batteries. Simple with little to no maintenance. Others want a complicated system of high pressure tanks, hydrogen generation, fuel cells, maintenance schedules, etc. I like things simple and decentralized as much as possible. What is more decentralized than the sun?

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Others want a complicated system of high pressure tanks, hydrogen generation, fuel cells, maintenance schedules, etc.
LOL - pressure vessals are a simple tech, as are pumps.

Rapid refill will keep hydrogen ahead, as people drive their REEV's around saying "thank God a have a gas tank".

The eventual / ultimate vehicle will be a plug-in fuel cell vehicle, which GM has at the tail end of their product development plan.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts