GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some more information on how the vehicle is performing as I drive. Is there a way I can connect to and download data from a vehicle's CAN or BUS on a leased vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

·
8,680 Posts
I'd like to get some more information on how the vehicle is performing as I drive. Is there a way I can connect to and download data from a vehicle's CAN or BUS on a leased vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
Search for "DashDAQ". It isn't cheap, but it gives realtime readout (and logging if desired) of any of hundreds of parameters including motor RPMs, battery SoC, current in and out of the battery or motors, and other useful things. You have to order the special Volt package, which last I looked wasn't on the website yet.

It's through DashDAQ we've begun to understand how the Volt works under the skin, much of which is both fascinating and quite different from any other car on the road...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Also for some big picture collection of data don't over look voltstats.net

I like the new Daily Driving Histogram

Check below for a list of Similar Threads on DashDAQ and bluetooth unit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to think stand-alone solutions like DashDaq were pretty cool, that is until I found even cooler solutions like ScanXL, DashCommand, GoPoint, etc., which allow connecting your car to a computer or smart phone, even wirelessly via bluetooth or wifi, and they're a lot cheaper than the stand alone units and more customizable. These gadgets are a must for any geek! With some you can even buy enhanced diagnostics packages specific to the car manufacturer like GM for instance, though I haven't seen any packages that support volt specific parameters, hopefully they'll be available soon.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The Volt license is on DrewTech's site now, by the way. When I picked it, it said I ordered it with the GM license. But I called to confirm and it did actually go through with the Volt license. So it was just a display bug in the ordering process.

I think a laptop-based interface would certainly be cheaper and maybe better for incidental testing. But I like the all-in-one solution, like the DashDAQ XL, for when you want to keep an eye on something at all times and potentially keep logs over a longer period of time. Way easier to deal with than hooking up a laptop and finding a place to put it every time you drive anywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would be more convenient if you could do everything with a smartphone rather than a laptop, unfortunately the current smartphone solutions aren't as powerful or complete as their desktop counterparts or standalone solutions. There's another one I just remembered though, Torque for Android, it seems to be pretty good. Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is to have something like this on my phone continuously logging various Volt specific parameters like regen/mechanical break usage, MGA/MGB rpm, etc. whenever I drive anywhere, since I have my phone with me all the time. One could come up with some pretty interesting stats with that kind of info.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah a phone app/hook-in would be good enough probably. Given that it were sufficiently robust. For Android for sure. IPhones are closed up enough that I think it would need to upload logs to a 3rd party site where you could grab them if you wanted to play with the numbers somewhere else. Unless, obviously, it were jailbroken.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Depends what data you want and what you want to pay.. I uses a android with torque ($5) and a bluetooth adapter ($21). I can get batter SOC and measure it every few seconds against other variables. I also get all the engine stuff (rpm, temp) and other stuff like MPG, and such all timestamped and geolocated.

I hope to eventually get more PIDs but it did turn out to be more difficult to reverse engineer them than I hoped.

You might check out this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?9386-30-OBD2-CAN-tool&highlight=vtech

1 - 8 of 8 Posts