GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check Cars dot com every couple days to see how Bolt inventory is growing and this month it has spiked pretty quickly. At the beginning of the month it was around 2200 with Volt inventory was around 4400. Well as of today Volt inventory has dropped very slightly to 4396, but Bolt inventory (in a limited number of states) has gone up to 4406.

The Bolt wasn't selling particularly well, given the limited amount of states it was selling in and the limited inventory, but it will be VERY interesting to see if the increase in inventory will lead to a notably higher sales figure for April.

This is interesting to me even though Cars dot com uses all the cars that are on dealer lots and in the process of shipping to the dealer. When Volt inventory went up from around 2000 to around 4000 sales did go up, though they didn't double.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll add that I've been watching Bolts on cars.com in the New England area and the count has been close to 200 all month. That is despite the same area receiving 2-6 new cars every day. From a simple calc I think may have sold 70 Bolts so far this month in New England. Mostly Massachusetts by the way. But have seen some listed in every state. Listings for NH and VT have started showing up just in the last 2 days. I've also noticed they seem to concentrate at certain dealers.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is interesting. The info (1.5L DOHC - 1 speed - FWD) seems to be about a Volt but the price is way high on 4 of the 5 trucks I found and the photo is obviously not a Volt. I sorted all Volts by price and ended up with the 5 trucks, but they all have what looks like Volt info. Do delivery trucks have 1.5L engines and FWD? Does Cars dot com just default to a picture of a truck if they don't have a photo? I checked the Bolts and Sonics and they don't seem to have any truck photos that I could find, at least in the quick search I did.

I don't think Cars dot com is perfect but it does give an idea of the trajectory of the inventory for North America if nothing else, and it does seem that Chevy is building a bunch of Bolts. I hope they can sell them, and what jegund is saying it sounds like they are selling as fast as they get delivered in Massachusetts, at least.

On edit: I found that 11 of the 12 most expensive Volts have different types of VIN's than Volts. So you are right llninja, there are non-Volts swimming in the Volt pool, so to speak. Once your get to $44k and below, I didn't see any more Express trucks, nor did I see them on Bolts, Sonic or Impala lists on Cars dot com.

Take cars.com with a grain of salt. 8 of the volts listed aren't volts

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/680572232/overview/

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
You must have missed this humorous thread on the topic. We've concluded that the new volt has all sorts of cargo space, AWD (since you have obvoius see a driveshaft to the rear wheels) and one surmised that there's a volt in the cargo area.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?284250-What-the.....-2017-Chevy-volt-for-70K

What's more likely is that this is a V8, but since the model of the cargo truck doesn't exist in cars.com's database, it took on the last vehicle in the list which happens to be the volt. To err is human, to really muck things up requires a computer.

Back to topic, my latest search for "all miles" away from my location showed over 5400 volts and only 4400 Bolts nationwide. Granted, not every state has Bolts yet. I suspect GM is rolling out Bolts in a big way, and assuming that volt sales will be cannibalized, thus wait for demand to help determine how many more volts to make. Alas, I'm not in the market for either. If GM doesn't hurry bringing their electric CUV to market I may end up a jaguar or Volvo owner after 2 decades of GM vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right! I missed the thread about the AWD Volt! LOL!

You must have missed this humorous thread on the topic. We've concluded that the new volt has all sorts of cargo space, AWD (since you have obvoius see a driveshaft to the rear wheels) and one surmised that there's a volt in the cargo area.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?284250-What-the.....-2017-Chevy-volt-for-70K

What's more likely is that this is a V8, but since the model of the cargo truck doesn't exist in cars.com's database, it took on the last vehicle in the list which happens to be the volt. To err is human, to really muck things up requires a computer.

Back to topic, my latest search for "all miles" away from my location showed over 5400 volts and only 4400 Bolts nationwide. Granted, not every state has Bolts yet. I suspect GM is rolling out Bolts in a big way, and assuming that volt sales will be cannibalized, thus wait for demand to help determine how many more volts to make. Alas, I'm not in the market for either. If GM doesn't hurry bringing their electric CUV to market I may end up a jaguar or Volvo owner after 2 decades of GM vehicle ownership.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Based on my experiences the last two Earth Day events I went to, interest in the Bolt EV is very high. Interest doesn't always translate to sales, but at least people are aware it is an option.

I hear a lot from the EV community, and many owners of other EVs have echoed the sentiment that the Bolt EV is nothing special... it just has a bigger battery. In stark contrast, non-EV owners told me that the range was the key factor preventing them from buying an EV. "You mean I can drive to San Francisco for the weekend without needing to rent another car? I like that!" At least one Leaf owner came out of the closet, "Most Leaf owners won't tell you this, but I confess. I have a bit of range envy. OK, that's a lie. I have a lot of range envy."

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm soon to be a 2017 Volt owner. why? Because there is a waiting list for Bolts in my area and you have to get in line to buy them at full MSRP...so upon hearing this, I figured why not consider a Volt? and like the way it operates in comparison to most other hybrids. Also my driving habits are mostly short <50mi. runs with the occasional 250mi. trip so the Volt makes sense for me, and after the warranty runs out, I'm sure there will be better pure EV options as well as better charging infrastructure in my area

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I hear a lot from the EV community, and many owners of other EVs have echoed the sentiment that the Bolt EV is nothing special... it just has a bigger battery. In stark contrast, non-EV owners told me that the range was the key factor preventing them from buying an EV. "You mean I can drive to San Francisco for the weekend without needing to rent another car? I like that!" At least one Leaf owner came out of the closet, "Most Leaf owners won't tell you this, but I confess. I have a bit of range envy. OK, that's a lie. I have a lot of range envy."
When folks say "nothing special" like most of the even positive reviews, it's too expensive for the segment and/or badge and/or styling...If it were $29,995 before incentives or was a $37,495 Caddy Bolt EV or was a $37,495 Camaro EV, we wouldn't have heard its nothing special...

Envy is an interesting topic, overwhelming majority of folks who buy I4 or V6 Camaros experience at some point regret/envy for not buying a V8...But only the extreme minority will actually do something about it...Furthermore, if one person bought a lower range EV, they already have decided they are okay with the current range...Absolutely no doubt there will be some EV owners who will buy Bolts but as we're seeing already from sales, it'll be far less than anticipated...

I'm soon to be a 2017 Volt owner. why? Because there is a waiting list for Bolts in my area and you have to get in line to buy them at full MSRP...so upon hearing this, I figured why not consider a Volt? and like the way it operates in comparison to most other hybrids. Also my driving habits are mostly short <50mi. runs with the occasional 250mi. trip so the Volt makes sense for me, and after the warranty runs out, I'm sure there will be better pure EV options as well as better charging infrastructure in my area
My hope in terms of efficiency, if GM learns from this...Here we have high demand in both Canada and South Korea yet little demand here in the states where they sit on the dealer lots...They have to utilize their franchise dealerships yet there's a two part process that would accurately gauge demand not only by country but by regions...Should be able to go to Chevy.com, enter your info (GM will take note of your location) which locks you into a queue, however you have say 30 or 45 days to contact a Chevy dealer who will convert your reservation to one of their allocations...This could still be done today...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Went down to the dealer today and placed a deposit on my new Volt...(waiting for my wife to get back in town in 2 weeks because everything is in joint ownership and she needs to sign off on both our trade-in as well as the new car)...got them to throw in the cost for extra window tinting for coming in and putting the deposit down. LOL

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Take cars.com with a grain of salt. 8 of the volts listed aren't volts

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/680572232/overview/
Sage advice. While cars.com is better inmho than autotrader (with its frustrating "sponsored" search results), cars.com has many, many cars that are GONE, sold, or never existed in the first place. I discovered this when shopping around for a leftover '16 or '15. Unless you're willing to reach out to each dealer listed individually, you can't rely on its listings.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Based on my experiences the last two Earth Day events I went to, interest in the Bolt EV is very high. Interest doesn't always translate to sales, but at least people are aware it is an option.

I would agree that the Bolt is nothing special. I considered it and drove both. The Volt feels like a nice solid car, while the Bolt ride is choppy, and it feels like a city car. The only downside to a Volt is that you have to maintain a gas engine as well as the electric drive. While there seem to be many upsides.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I would agree that the Bolt is nothing special. I considered it and drove both. The Volt feels like a nice solid car, while the Bolt ride is choppy, and it feels like a city car. The only downside to a Volt is that you have to maintain a gas engine as well as the electric drive. While there seem to be many upsides.
I guess I should have prefaced by saying that I don't agree with those other EV owners (mostly Leaf owners). I took it as a compensation for cognitive dissonance.

I know the second generation Volt has been slightly improved over the first generation Volt, but I own both a 2015 Volt and a 2017 Bolt EV. I can tell you that there is no real comparison in their driving characteristics (stability, handling, acceleration, etc.). The Bolt EV wins hands down.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Anecdotally, a lot of BOLTS seem to be selling here in NJ, although I haven't seen any on the roads (granted I could probably miss it as it fits in with a lot of other small chevy cars now). I test drove one a couple weeks ago -- it's already gone. Another one on the lot, sold too. The Orange Burst Metallic that the dealer said would be coming in just a few days....sold before I even looked at it.

I also live next to PA and they don't have any BOLTS yet--might be a lot of sales from there which is why I don't see them.

Either way, I know they're selling when, despite giving the the salesman my information and telling him to call me on a Bolt--he HASN'T called.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts