GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

New to these forums, but I've had a 2013 Volt for 2 years now and I thought I would try to share a neat little utility I made to help calculate charging costs.

The CSV files available from myvolt.com have accurate kWh data for up to the last 30 days. Upload that file to my tool and, provided the local cost of gas and electricity, you can find out how much you spent and how much you saved!

Let me know if you have any questions!

voltulator.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would post a link as clickable, but it looks like there's some restrictions on new accounts. Any help from an existing member appreciated :)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Electricity is such a small expense that I don't bother any more. I spend way more on car washes and detailing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is pretty cheap, but I live with roommates and they don't want to pay for my driving. With 2 of them and about $30 a month in charging costs, that would be $10 from each if we split that cost as well, and hey, that's a meal!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Electricity is such a small expense that I don't bother any more. I spend way more on car washes and detailing.
I spend more on electricity than on car washes and detailing. I don't recall taking my Volt in for a commercial car wash or detailing. The closest to a car wash my Volt gets is when I squeeze the condensation off of the outside after spending a night in SF. The closest to detailing the Volt gets is when I vacuum the inside to remove crumbs from the grandkids eating in the back seat. I sometimes use a damp cloth to wipe the other interior parts. Getting lazy Most of the times the car is parked in my garage, when not on the road. so it looks fine to me. However I do like to track the statistics on charging, EV miles, gas miles, etc. Suffering from OCD. since I started driving the LEAF in 2011.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
With our 2016 Volt from a displayed depleted battery it takes 16 KWH to full charge with a usable 14.0-14.4 KWH. The cost to charge is based on .117 / kwh, this is calculated from the total bill divided by KWH used, this is 100% of the cost not just the line items on your bill which may state: 700 KWH @ .0567, this does not included all charges, like delivery, taxes, extra sur charges etc...

So for a complete charge .117 X 16 = $1.87. Unlike everything else in the consumer world you get penalized the more you use. If you use under 1,000 KWH a month you pay less per KWH, if you use more you pay more for KWH used, just the opposite of the real world we all live in. Sometimes we use less and the cost to charge is around $1.75 or so....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Electricity is not a small expense depending on your electric rates. Here in San Diego, you can get evening time of use rates at about .19 per kWhr. At the mobile home park I'm in, I'm master metered, so can't change to time of use rates and the upper tier is .42/kWhr...for a 21mpg vehicle, .42 per kwhr is the same price as gas!!! I'm better off using Volt on gas then charging my battery.
Remember a full charge is about 13 kWhr, and at .42/kWhr that is $5.46!! that is not a small expense

Check your rates for local utility and what you are paying

Here is a formula for figuring the break point for electric versus gas cost pricing that I developed:

r=c/0.26m where r is the rate in kWhr, c is cost of gas, $ The .26 is kWhr/mile..that comes from your volt energy information, you can watch it and see it turns out to be about 0.26

example:
What would the kWhr rate be that I would charge at, for it to become less expensive to run on gas:

Assume you can get 50mpg on your volt:
r= $2.60/gallon (here in California) / .26 x 50 = 0.20/kWhr
so for a 50mpg vehicle you are more economical running on gas then any rate above 0.20$/kWhr (which is pretty low)

Better way to look at it. My second car gets about 22mpg

Using this formula, r= $2.60 /.26 X 22 = 0.45/kWhr If my elec rate is around .45/kWhr, I'm better off driving my 22mpg vehicle than charging my Volt all night and running on elec.

As you can see, elec energy is not cheap unless you are generating from hydro, and on very cheap rates
For this reason, watch what you are paying at this non-free public stations. If you are paying $0.25/kWhr or more, you are better off driving the Volt on gas, then waiting till you get home to charge at night on low Time of Use (TOU) rates.
-Bill Wilson (doubleucubed)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It is pretty cheap, but I live with roommates and they don't want to pay for my driving. With 2 of them and about $30 a month in charging costs, that would be $10 from each if we split that cost as well, and hey, that's a meal!
Yeah, splitting a bill across multiple roommates would prove challenging. If you know your cost is always about $30, just deduct $10 each from their portion so your covering your extra $30.

If you have an onstar account (even the free basic) you can go through and see how much electricity your using over a 30 day period and deduct the average cost for those kW's. It's part of the charging report and totals up all the electricity at the bottom of the page. I don't think the onstar figure takes into account charging losses, but it'll give you a far greater idea of how much your actual usage is to charge the car. You can then calculate your kWh cost and how much you used to charge the car over 30 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should click on the link in the first post :) I made a website to calculate out exactly the cost per month so I don't have to estimate. Then, when I go to split the bill with my roommates there isn't every any question of whether or not they're paying for my driving.

I made this post to let people know about my website, so it would be awesome if you go check it out!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am unable to obtain this data. When I go to charge history I get an "Unable to display charge history chart". When I go to efficiency screen I get "unable to update efficiency information".

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
For people that charge in multiple locations, like at work and at home, their OnStar total will not be useful for either location. They might want a direct way to meter the electricity used while at home. I think the "Kill A Watt" outlet meter would work well for that. Seems like a practical way to solve the roommate problem.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Kill-a-watt works fine if you're charging with 120, but if the OP is using an L2, I think the only viable though, over the top, solution would be to find and install an inline meter with the 220 line.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've never registered or anything with OnStar.

They have a free account?
Press your blue onstar button in the car to set it all up. They'll offer you something like 3 years of free basic service, with a bonus of your first 3 months with their top tier package, all free. They'll try to sell you the higher levels of service for a discounted rate if you buy today, but I just kept telling them I wasn't interested. The free basic gives you a lot of functionality including tracking your energy usage, keyfob fuctionality (remote lock/unlock/etc). Once everything is set up, you can register at voltstats.net and compare your usage to everyone else registered there. Pretty impressive to see the numbers of how many EV only miles just the registered users have.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am unable to obtain this data. When I go to charge history I get an "Unable to display charge history chart". When I go to efficiency screen I get "unable to update efficiency information".

Any suggestions?
Same here, even after refreshing the page at the top of the pop-up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm interested in answering the question: which is cheaper?

Knowing what costs is good, but I want to know whether I should pay for the electricity to charge my volt or should I drive on gas.

This happens occasionally when my car isn't charged and I have to go somewhere.

I have L2 charging and I know what gas costs, (gasbuddy) and I also know what the electricity costs per kWh because I am on a TOU rate plan.

I did a spreadsheet that will calculate this, which I think is OK, attached. Any comments or corrections are appreciated.

View attachment Compare Gas Cost to Electricity Cost.zip

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hello everyone!

New to these forums, but I've had a 2013 Volt for 2 years now and I thought I would try to share a neat little utility I made to help calculate charging costs.

The CSV files available from myvolt.com have accurate kWh data for up to the last 30 days. Upload that file to my tool and, provided the local cost of gas and electricity, you can find out how much you spent and how much you saved!

Let me know if you have any questions!

voltulator.com
I've tried your site a few times and keep getting an Internal Server Error :(

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

Any suggestions?
Your choice of browser may or may not affect your success in viewing data on the myvolt and mychevrolet sites. Firefox sometimes works better for me than Internet Explorer. At other times, neither works.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Any suggestions?
This happens to me more often than when it works. The abysmal success rate of using these sites (mychevrolet, myvolt, etc) is the reason I decided not to renew my OnStar service beyond the free trial period.

I'm on MacOS 10.11 with three browsers: Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. I get the same behavior in all three. Then one day it will just work. That lasts for a day or two and then it goes back to failing. It doesn't matter if I'm at work or at home - both places where my car is parked outdoors, away from any blocking buildings, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts