GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Magazine/May-June-2016/Behind-the-Scenes-with-the-Montgomery-County-Police-Collision-Reconstruction-Unit/

This article is a "behind the scenes" look at the Montgomery County Police Collision Reconstruction Unit in Maryland.
Earlier this year, a 2016 Volt was involved in a fatal accident, where 3 of the Volt's 4 occupants died in the crash. http://insideevs.com/tragic-crash-involving-chevrolet-volt-claims-lives-of-3-occupants/

Pretty sobering read. It seems they still haven't finished the investigation of the Volt-involved accident. Don't envy the job these CRU guys have to do.

Based off the photos, looks like the BMW drilled that Volt right in the passenger side doors. Still not sure how the driver also perished...unless he wasn't wearing his seatbelt.

·
Registered
741 Posts
A great article. fascinating read. the drunk driving accidents are always the most numbing.

When I was growing up, driving drunk seemed to be no big deal and had my own stupid moments. I remember one accident where the car piled into a bridge at about 120 mph. when they started counting extra body parts, they figure out the car had two drunks, not just one. It was kind of a thing to go visit the car at the salvage yard to see how bad it looked.

Drunk driving needs to be eradicated.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
A great article. fascinating read. the drunk driving accidents are always the most numbing.

When I was growing up, driving drunk seemed to be no big deal and had my own stupid moments. I remember one accident where the car piled into a bridge at about 120 mph. when they started counting extra body parts, they figure out the car had two drunks, not just one. It was kind of a thing to go visit the car at the salvage yard to see how bad it looked.

The problem with that is that the majority of rule makers are themselves closet drunks/alcoholics and they are fearful they may get caught themselves.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts

Unless you can figure out how to make drunks make better decisions than they make sober instead of worse ones, the only hope to limit drunk driving is available alternative transportation. And nobody wants to pay for that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The big issue is that drunk driving is a lot like the "Dunning-Kruger" effect in that the very skills you need to realize you aren't good to drive are the same skills that drinking switches off.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
As the article pointed out...Emergency Services has been working to eliminate the word accident their vocabulary for years...in fact it started in the 1960s, William Haddon, the first director of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, used to make anyone who used the word “accident” in a meeting pay a ten-cent fine. The “A-word,” he reasoned, enabled people to take too little responsibility for the decisions that lead to driving injuries.

The leading causes of car crashes in America are:

Distracted driving (like texting or eating at the wheel)
Speeding
Drunk driving

All three are clearly deliberate actions.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am not a medical expert but I suspect that a lot of deaths in vehicle crashes involving high speeds are likely brain stem injuries caused by the head suddenly extending beyond its limits of travel (the head is quite heavy) and injuring the brain stem. Airbags help prevent this but the driver would not have an airbag to assist when being hit on the passenger side.

This is what killed Dale Earnhardt for example.

The car may be pretty robust but unfortunately, the human body still has its limits too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thank you for sharing that interesting article. Please keep us posted on the results of their investigation of the Volt crash.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I am not a medical expert but I suspect that a lot of deaths in vehicle crashes involving high speeds are likely brain stem injuries caused by the head suddenly extending beyond its limits of travel (the head is quite heavy) and injuring the brain stem. Airbags help prevent this but the driver would not have an airbag to assist when being hit on the passenger side.

This is what killed Dale Earnhardt for example.

The car may be pretty robust but unfortunately, the human body still has its limits too.
In a bad car crash...there are two more critical impacts that take place...the brain striking the front of the cranium followed by the brain striking the rear of the cranium during the rebound of the body...:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts