GM Volt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that montgom626 has been banned again. I went back through his posts to see what he did this time, and it was more of the same:
  • directly insulting and disrespectful comments to other members,
  • denigrating gm-volt.com founder Dr. Lyle Dennis,
  • intentionally abrasive remarks,
  • really out of the blue volatility, and
  • repeated attempts to sow conflict.
A careful examination of his posts suggests that these are personal failures that likely pervade other aspects of his life (i.e. it is unlikely that he is an infiltrator, he's just a screw up).

If the moderators let him back in yet again, you newbies are forewarned to keep your guard up around him.

·
Registered
434 Posts
A discussion around an honest difference of opinion is always welcome. Personal attacks and name calling should be grounds for immediate dismissal.
We have some very learned scholars of all political persuasions and I really enjoy the banter. But keeping it honest and on point is appreciated.
I am a political and economical conservative, but I really LOVE my Volt! It's doing everything I bought it for and have yet to be disappointed. In December, it will be two years of EV driving. A dream come true!

Go Volt!

Volt 63

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
He'll be much happier on Faux News.

He definitely could'nt handle the heat in the kitchen in a respectful, Volt Forum way. We're all here to promote the Volt, and the future of transportation. One without foreign oil, and based on American energy sources. God Bless America.

·
8,680 Posts
Yes, he's on timeout (not permanent) for personal attacks. We welcome any opinion provided respectfully and argued honestly, but will not tolerate repeated insulting/disrespectful comments. I'd really rather not have a hate on him while he's blocked thread, okay folks?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Walter.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'm pretty sure that he is a veteran, and he has said that he owns two Volts. As many of you know, I lean toward free speach, even in a moderated forum like ours. We all are entitled to our opinion, and sticks and stones...

·
Registered
985 Posts
http://suite101.com/article/cluster-a-personality-disorders-a31142

Me, I admit to being eccentric, odd and "off-kelter" (who in their right mind drives a black Volt 71 miles at 30 miles an hour in 100 degree temperatures just to NOT use any gasoline and feeds goats out of the back of a $40,000 car? I suspect the 100 degree temps in my black Volt have exacerbated my "off kelterness..."

I had to set the controls here on the forum to "ignore" this member because I got so tired of the assaults. I suppose we all have our quirks, some more than others but the guy does own two Volts...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have told him to shut up several times- most recently, I think, just yesterday. And he wasn't even insulting me. In that case, it was when he flew off the handle for someone using the word 'courage' that didn't involve defending the country. In the next post, he'll be civil again. Sybil anyone? I can say that he never quite made it to my short 'ignore' list, but I imagine he made it to the list of several others here.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have a question about bans, suspensions, etc. This is a bit off topic but this thread served as a reminder and I am not sure where else to ask.

About two weeks ago I posted a response to one of Jeff's home page articles. I verified it was there and went on to other things. Since mine was one of the earliest posts, #3 I believe, I returned to the article the next day to see what other members had added. I was surprised to find that my post had disappeared. Nor was it listed among the posts on my profile page. The disappearance bothered me at first because I had not received the courtesy of an explanation. Then I figured that it might have been a software glitch. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Do OPs or MODs delete posts without explanation to the member?

Thank you.

KNS

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
About two weeks ago I posted a response to one of Jeff's home page articles. I verified it was there and went on to other things. Since mine was one of the earliest posts, #3 I believe, I returned to the article the next day to see what other members had added. I was surprised to find that my post had disappeared. Nor was it listed among the posts on my profile page. The disappearance bothered me at first because I had not received the courtesy of an explanation. Then I figured that it might have been a software glitch. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Do OPs or MODs delete posts without explanation to the member?
I don't have direct knowledge but I'd say with 99% confidence it was a software glitch. I've never experienced what you're describing but I have had comments not post, though the software says they have. So yes, stuff does happen on the homepage. I wouldn't say it's common but it's also not incredibly rare.

FYI moderators here don't touch the homepage, just the forums. 95% of the deletions of forum posts are because they're perceived as spam or bot posts or something like that, and at least 50% of the spam involves deleting the entire thread and banning the spammer. The vast majority of the remaining 5% probably involve personal attacks. Just to provide some perspective, I think I've deleted a couple of posts and edited one. When I've done that I believe I've contacted the member but it's so rare and it hasn't happened lately so I may have slipped up and I'm not remembering. I don't make a practice of informing posters if I've merged threads, which happens from time to time. I assume the reason for this -- more than one post on the same subject very close in time -- is fairly clear. This can happen, especially around the beginning of the month when the Volt sales numbers come out.

If you ever have a question about one of your posts disappearing or anything along those lines, please just PM one of us and we'll try and get you an explanation.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a question about bans, suspensions, etc. This is a bit off topic but this thread served as a reminder and I am not sure where else to ask.

Thank you.

KNS
I've had posts dropped from the main page. My standard operating procedure is to save it before I click the submit button. And if it's lost I'll remove references to brand names in case the software thought there was spamming involved. In the sites defense it seems to happen most where there is a lot of traffic and some kind of site changes are occurring.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hmmm at least shunning isn't a consequence of erratic posts. Look forward to his off the wall posts retuning. when something like that happens to me I start firing off political emails to entities in my spam folders in eastern europe. That said, its time for a high speed run down Roan Mountain with my Barred Rock chickens on the roof of the Baker Stanhope.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I don't have direct knowledge but I'd say with 99% confidence it was a software glitch.
I don't know that it is a software glitch as much as page formatting/layout. If you quote the last poster in a thread, the "Reply to Thread" button is right below your text window. On most sites, that would be a "Submit" button, but here, it deletes your response and opens a new box. If you are alt-tabbing or toggling through pages, you might not even notice that your post was never created.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Thank you.

KNS
I feel like I have experienced this. Not often, but it seems a few times I did post only to find out later it was not there. I did not get any E-mail from a moderator so I just assumed I messed up or there was a glitch. Will we get an E-mail if our post is removed or moved?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks all who addressed my question re disappearing posts. Copy-before-closing is good advice; and, should it happen again, I will PM one of the MODs.

Thanks again.

KNS

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just to be clear, there is a difference between telling a poster his ideas are wrong and insulting him personally. I disagree with moderators quite regularly and I've never seen my posts disappear.

I have great respect for my fellow Volt owners no matter how defensive they may get about GM. :D

In a possibly related issue, when does the New Posts pointer get reset? Many members use the New Posts button to see the latest posts. I've seen it retrieve 98 posts and I've seen it retrieve 7 posts.

What is the difference between the "New Posts" and "What's New" buttons?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.