GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has started a thread like this, but thought I would share my 126.5MPG path from Mammoth Lakes, CA to Fresno over highway 120 in Yosemite, then on highway 41 to Fresno and ending on Highway 99 South. We started out leaving Mammoth Lakes not wanting to buy gas at the outrageous prices of 50 cents higher than everywhere else, we had only 2 gallons left and a full charge from our hotel. We took the Scenic Bypass to Highway 395, since we were going North anyway and it is mostly downhill. Once on the 395 North, I switched to gas and kept it on gas until we made it to the top of the pass on Highway 120 in Yosemite, where the Yosemite park entrance is at 10,000 feet elevation. This is what used most of the 1.5 gallons we used on this 190 mile leg of our trip (maybe 30-40 miles). From the park entrance, switched back to normal mode and it is pretty much downhill gradually to Yosemite Valley at 4300 feet elevation over about 50 miles roughly (maybe more), then when you cross the river over to the Highway 41 side, switched back to gas to go back up to 6000 foot elevation. Fairly short, about 10 miles, you know when you get to the top, because there is a building on the right and road branching off to the left. From there it is roughly 50-60 miles to Fresno, sit back and relax as you again, keep getting more miles down hill and run out as you reach the Highway 99 interchange! Filled up along the way in Oakhurst at normal gas prices, even though we still had a full battery charge at that point, but figured why not, good place to stop anyway and eat!

·
Registered
260 Posts
What was your MPGe? What was your average speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started with a full 53 mile charge in Mammoth Lakes, CA at 8100 feet elevation and only used 1.5 Gallons by the time I reached Fresno, CA 190 miles later at around 250 feet elevation, letting the battery run out before using any more than the initial 1.5 Gallons. As mentioned in the initial post, used a little over a gallon going from Mammoth Lakes Scenic Route junction at highway 395 up to the Yosemite Park entrance on Highway 120 at 10,000 feet (about 30 miles maybe). Then one more time from the junction of highway 41 at the entrance of Yosemite valley to the 6000 foot elevation point (about 10 to 12 miles maybe), electric only from the 6000 foot elevation point to Highway 99 in Fresno (over 70 miles I think).

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That is a beautiful drive. Nice job!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Started with a full 53 mile charge in Mammoth Lakes, CA at 8100 feet elevation and only used 1.5 Gallons by the time I reached Fresno, CA 190 miles later at around 250 feet elevation, letting the battery run out before using any more than the initial 1.5 Gallons. As mentioned in the initial post, used a little over a gallon going from Mammoth Lakes Scenic Route junction at highway 395 up to the Yosemite Park entrance on Highway 120 at 10,000 feet (about 30 miles maybe). Then one more time from the junction of highway 41 at the entrance of Yosemite valley to the 6000 foot elevation point (about 10 to 12 miles maybe), electric only from the 6000 foot elevation point to Highway 99 in Fresno (over 70 miles I think).
Did you make the reverse drive to Mammoth on a comparable route? If so, what as your mpg? Also did you use electric until battery was depleted or a combination of EV and gas? In any case, very impressive performance from the mountains to the flatlands.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Nothing helps your electric range as going downhill for 10,000 feet! What hotel did you stay at? We rented a condo on Airbnb which had a charger last fall. Worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts