GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2017 Volt, after trading in my 2012.

I never had a problem with water or moisture in the charge port area--apparently there was a good enough seal on the charge port door to prevent any water entry.

However, with the 2017, if I take it through a carwash or if there had been a heavy rain, I can see very small droplets of water on the plastic surface of the charge port itself after opening the charge port door. The water doesn't seem to penetrate deeper into the charge port. Wiping the moisture away and then charging doesn't seem to cause or trigger any problems.

Have any of you encountered this problem? Is it really a problem?

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
Picture so we can clearly see what you are referring to?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently got a 2017 Volt, after trading in my 2012.

I never had a problem with water or moisture in the charge port area--apparently there was a good enough seal on the charge port door to prevent any water entry.

However, with the 2017, if I take it through a carwash or if there had been a heavy rain, I can see very small droplets of water on the plastic surface of the charge port itself after opening the charge port door. The water doesn't seem to penetrate deeper into the charge port. Wiping the moisture away and then charging doesn't seem to cause or trigger any problems.

Have any of you encountered this problem? Is it really a problem?
I was asking myself that same question today. After washing my Volt, I opened the charge port door and saw water droplets in the charge port itself (which isn't surprising if the cover allows leakage, since the port faces slightly upward). But it charged without problem.

However, I can confirm that my Volt, at least, also doesn't have a decent seal around the charge port door. I can't vouch for seal around the fuel door (which of course isn't really a concern, as I'm sure the gas cap is sealed tightly) as I've used less than a gallon of gasoline in almost 1500 miles of driving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture so we can clearly see what you are referring to?
Sorry about the delay, I had to wait until the car was driving in moderate/heavy rain and I had opportunity to take photos soon afterwards. Let me know what you think--should this kind of water entry be happening?

IMG_3412.jpg IMG_3413.jpg

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sorry about the delay, I had to wait until the car was driving in moderate/heavy rain and I had opportunity to take photos soon afterwards. Let me know what you think--should this kind of water entry be happening?
No worries. If you were to remove the silverish bezel, say to install the illuminated charge port, you would see that there is a drain hole below it so that water can not collect. In fact, the illuminated charge port wiring is routed through the drain hole.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This happens in my 2017 also. I will say this - I do have an issue where if it rains, my L2 EVSE (Dostar portable plugged into an outdoor outlet) will often throw a fault and not charge the Volt. We had a bad storm earlier today and even though my Volt started charging normally when I plugged in about an hour ago, I just got the 'interrupted charge' text alert meaning the EVSE probably needs to be reset.

I assume this is a problem with water getting into the EVSE vs. the Volt itself but perhaps water being on both the charge port and the charger plug is causing an issue.

·
Administrator
19,982 Posts
I assume this is a problem with water getting into the EVSE vs. the Volt itself but perhaps water being on both the charge port and the charger plug is causing an issue.
What fault code is your EVSE indicating? Short? Ground? Voltage drop? I have never had a problem with the 120V L1 EVSE charging my Volt in the rain. My 240V L2 is in the garage, so there has not been a water issue in that scenario of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts