GM Volt Forum banner

Module in 2012 Volt

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ojb Volt 
#1 ·
Hi,
My Chevy Volt 2012 has 102k miles and a decent service life. In late May 2021 the car failed to start, was jumped with AAA, and I drove it to Sunrise Chevy in Forest Hills, NY where this Volt had been serviced many times before. The car has not been fixed because (apparently)
a part no. #22842168/22997596 cannot be purchased through the dealerships official channels ( and the part is no longer manufactured or would have to be a one-off and installed by the Sunrise Chevy service center mechanics.
After 2 months of waiting on a backordered part that IS NO LONGER MANUFACTURED (!!) , they now propose that I purchase an aftermarket part, sign away service warranty rights, and only then they will attempt to install the module. If the car breaks, it's on me. Can someone please help? Is this a reasonable solution? I feel cheated by GM on this. I've lost an entire summer of driving because of this.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Here is a link to the part: 22997596 GM Module | GM Parts Store

#2 ·
I assume you've called other area dealerships to check as well? GMPartsDirect, where I normally buy my Volt parts is showing this as not for sale/restricted as well. I couldn't be without an operational car for months. I personally would go ahead a make the purchase to get a working car back.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I've made do (living in a city with good public transit and borrowing cars) car-wise.

I haven't called other area dealerships. I'm going to do that tomorrow, thank you for the idea

and see if my current dealership can order these parts from GMPartsDirect or a similar website. I tried to order this part and the part supplier said the dealership must order it and the dealership said they only order parts from their supplier Specmo. I feel like I'm going crazy. So I am going to try again.

#7 · (Edited)
Have you checked these sources? There are some on EBay listed under 22842168 but they all seem to be in Lithuania. It’s listed there as a Bluetooth control module.

#9 · (Edited)
Have you checked these sources? There are some on EBay listed under 22842168 but they all seem to be in Lithuania. It’s listed there as a Bluetooth control module.

But that link is showing the part in stock. Why not just order it?
Junebug, yes I had seen those links including the Ebay one in Lithuania (which could get involved at some point). Thanks for listing those.

I called GMPartsStore to ask about ordering the part and they said only a qualified Chevy mechanic can order the part (???) so today I am going to tell this to the dealership and see what they can do. The mechanic claims he is asking his technician if the used/aftermarket/online parts would work/can he install them into the 2012 Volt.

Where's my gas guzzler when I need it

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.