GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that once the 2015 Volts started arriving in the showrooms that the dealerships (well, the one in my area anyway) would be more "incentivized" to move the 2014 Volts in their inventory. I did not find this is the case. My local dealership had a 2014 and a 2015 Volt both loaded with the same options I wanted. After trying to talk them down on the 2014 ("you know the 2015s have a bigger battery"), they ran the numbers on the 2015 against their best price for the 2014 and it was just a few dollars more (note: If you're considering the Bose and Nav, which are separate line items in 2014, they are now bundled on the 2015s and several hundred dollars cheaper as a bundle). It was a no-brainer to choose the 2015 Volt given the lack of price differential between the two MYs. My preference was to have gotten a discounted price 2014, but (at least with the dealership I was working with) there was no interest in doing deals.

Any other recent buyers have similar or different experiences?

I have a couple theories. First - My dealership is a nation-wide chain, and perhaps that restricts their ability to cut margins just to move inventory. Second - with the $5K MSRP drop for MY 2014, GM has cut their margin to offer dealer "holdbacks" on the Volt to help dealerships move 2014s. If the latter is true, then the unsold 2014s on dealer lots right now may end up staying on their lots as potential Volt customers skip them over a slightly improved but price-wise identical newer model year 2015.

· Registered
521 Posts
I, too, am waiting for them to start dealing to "get the 2014's off the lot". When I leased my 2013 it was about midway through August of 2012 and GM/Ally was offering lease incentives on the new model year.

I plan on waiting, at least, until mid-month before deciding on what to do. I may even return my current one (I have until the first week of September to do so w/out penalty) and live with one car until they start dealing on the 2015's or fire-saling the 2014's. (I work from home so having one car would be a minor inconvenience, but not so bad)

· Registered
178 Posts
I think you may see some, but nothing crazy like the price drop in 2013. Also, it probably depends on the area. Keyes out here in California is already offering great deals on the Volts.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
If you decide to buy a 2014 Volt you may consider buying a late production model, May or June 2014, these should have the 17.1 KW battery which will give you another perhaps 3-5 miles of electric range.

I am not sure on the exact date when they began to install the 17.1 KW battery in the 2014 Volt but I believe it was sometime in May 2014.

I am sure another forum member may have that date of transition.

· Registered
10,056 Posts
I wonder if GM is treating the Volt as an enthusiast car like they do with the Corvette. You won't see a deal on the latter. I've seen commercials for neither. The one difference (from what I hear from salesmen) is that the 'vette is mostly on backorder. Every time I'm at my dealer they have a new set of Volts spread around the front of the showroom (which suggests that they are selling them).

· Registered
36 Posts
I have been trolling around the site for a while, and decided that waiting for the 14 to come down may be the way to go. THat said, I went to a couple of dealerships last week (I figured end of the month) and I was barely getting any discounts... Sometimes, it pays to wait a bit...

· Registered
37 Posts
I'm in the market to replace my 2012 lease in August. I think they have a good idea that many are coming off lease in the next couple months and think there will be a good number of repeat buyers. Maybe not, but the dealers I've talked to don't seem that concerned about 2014 inventory. I wish the 2016 was here but I'm planning to buy a 14 or 15, it's still a great car.

· Registered
157 Posts
I got $6750 off MSRP for my 2014 on Saturday. Most dealers were not willing to make a deal, but found one that was and couldn't be happier. Mine was built in 4/2014 so I don't think it has the bigger battery. Too bad, but I'm not going to worry too much. Still getting more than the EPA rated range, so I am happy.

· Registered
52 Posts
I got $6750 off MSRP for my 2014 on Saturday. Most dealers were not willing to make a deal, but found one that was and couldn't be happier. Mine was built in 4/2014 so I don't think it has the bigger battery. Too bad, but I'm not going to worry too much. Still getting more than the EPA rated range, so I am happy.
so you paid ? 31?

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Which dealership? Thanks
I bought from Holiday Chevrolet in Whitesboro , TX . Other dealers have good deals as well , but they had what I wanted in stock.

Put your zip-code in , put your info and you get price quotes and emails from several dealers . Later I spoke to Tim on the phone to verify everything .

· Registered
52 Posts
I bought a 2014 last Saturday . The battery delivers 11.6 kwh . I paid $31,850 . Also $10,000 in tax credits drops it to $21,850 .

The 2015 would have been $3,000 more .
Good work.
Mine was 32.7 three weeks ago, I negotiated for 22k for my 2013 Prius trade-in and also get 10k back

· Registered
157 Posts
that is the highest off msrp i have seen does the dealer have more cars?
Yeah they had more. Another base model and several more with options (I think 11 total). That is what they listed the car for on their website with all rebates. I didn't qualify for most, but talked them down to it anyway. Dealer is Ted Britt Chevrolet in Sterling, VA. I worked with Hook.

And with PA tax, title, and tags it was $30,965 out the door. MSRP was 34995

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.