GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red X, Blue S, Silver 3.

Due to the perspective it's hard to estimate length. But comparing the 3 to the S, the hood and trunk areas look shorter on the 3, while the passenger areas look similar sized. It looks like they optimized the passenger space pretty well. Since the S is around 196", the 3 looks only to be about a foot shorter, say 186" or so.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I saw my first X, on Sunday here in the corn fields of southern Illinois. I followed it for about 4 miles before we went our separate ways and I must say it has an "odd" shape to it. I couldn't say exactly what didn't look right, but I just thought it had an odd bulb shape to the roof line from the side and rear.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw my first X, on Sunday here in the corn fields of southern Illinois. I followed it for about 4 miles before we went our separate ways and I must say it has an "odd" shape to it. I couldn't say exactly what didn't look right, but I just thought it had an odd bulb shape to the roof line from the side and rear.
Yes, the X has a rather bloated shape. It looks like an air compressor was attached to a Model S and set to "overfill". That said, it's the most aerodynamic SUV/CUV ever.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I have a hunch all three cars are on the same battery frame. The picture appears to be telephoto, which would show very little distortion from perspective and distance. I do not think the TM-3 that is on display today will have any parts in common with the retail unit. Or? They need to make a TM-S for 1/2 price somehow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Living in crowded S. Cal has its occasional advantages. This morning while traveling to LAX on the freeway we were passed by a Model 3 in the adjoining carpool lane. I don't even want one especially, but after hyperventilating a bit, I grabbed my camera-too late. They are out there already. Oh, I saw my first Gen 2 in tincoat red also. Pretty car. Lots of Gen 2's in the carpool lanes. All good.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 3 is substantially narrower.
Motortrend's estimates:
Model 3: 184.1" long, 74.2" wide, 56.5" high
Model S: 196" long, 77.3" wide, 56.5" high
Volt: 180.4" long, 71.2" wide, 56.4" high

So the Model three is halfway between the Volt and Model S in width. Without a bulky battery in the center cabin like the Volt, the interior room should be very open. Without the low hatch of the Model S, the Model 3 back seat will have better headroom.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Motortrend's estimates:
Model 3: 184.1" long, 74.2" wide, 56.5" high
Model S: 196" long, 77.3" wide, 56.5" high
Volt: 180.4" long, 71.2" wide, 56.4" high

So the Model three is halfway between the Volt and Model S in width. Without a bulky battery in the center cabin like the Volt, the interior room should be very open. Without the low hatch of the Model S, the Model 3 back seat will have better headroom.
I don't know about MT estimates. From the various overhead photos the 3 looks like it's more than 3.1" narrower then the S. The headlight area shape is deceiving, but.......

Then there's the assertion that 3 will fit well in narrow garages. IIRC Mush said it himself.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why anyone would want that "roast me alive" glass roof is beyond me.

·
2,356 Posts
Without the low hatch of the Model S, the Model 3 back seat will have better headroom.
Maybe a bit better, but it still has a coupe-like plunging roofline. It will be better than the Volt.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Why anyone would want that "roast me alive" glass roof is beyond me.
Put LCD film in that roof so I can black it out in bright sun and I'd want it. My favorite part of owning a convertible was looking up.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Living in crowded S. Cal has its occasional advantages. This morning while traveling to LAX on the freeway we were passed by a Model 3 in the adjoining carpool lane. I don't even want one especially, but after hyperventilating a bit, I grabbed my camera-too late. They are out there already.
Makes sense. I saw my first Bolt in the wild about a year ago.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Maybe a bit better, but it still has a coupe-like plunging roofline. It will be better than the Volt.
You realize that a Model S has about the same rear headroom as a Volt, right? I imagine it won't be much better than the Volt (just slightly since they removed the hatch, which interferes with rear headroom.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
People realize that black tint doesn't block much heat? Most of the heat is in the IR spectrum, which passes through black tint like it was clear. Metalized clear tints, or IR block/cut/hot mirrors, actually reject a lot more heat than visible light blocking tint.

·
Banned
301 Posts
You realize that a Model S has about the same rear headroom as a Volt, right? I imagine it won't be much better than the Volt (just slightly since they removed the hatch, which interferes with rear headroom.
The model S has A LOT more headroom than the Volt in the backseat. I cannot at 6'2" sit in the back of the Volt without my head almost touching the roof and don't even think about leaning a back as I would hit my head. In the Tesla I could easily put a full size dictionary between my head and the roof and lean back without fear of bumping my head.

·
Banned
301 Posts
People realize that black tint doesn't block much heat? Most of the heat is in the IR spectrum, which passes through black tint like it was clear. Metalized clear tints, or IR block/cut/hot mirrors, actually reject a lot more heat than visible light blocking tint.
You do realize that Tesla puts those coating that block the both light, heat and IR spectrum on the roof so you don't bake right? They already have panoramic roofs on the Model S and while you will get more heat in the interior than a metal one it is not a very large difference.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You do realize that Tesla puts those coating that block the both light, heat and IR spectrum on the roof so you don't bake right? They already have panoramic roofs on the Model S and while you will get more heat in the interior than a metal one it is not a very large difference.
Exactly, that was my point and in response to baking and needing tint :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts