GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Unintentional, or in this case maybe confusing, lane markings are a common issue in my experience. Even with the Volt's primitive LKA, I have found the system gives a tug on the wheel when it senses what it thinks is a lane marking, but it's just a dark tar stripe in the road.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
“Vehicle was engaged on Autopilot at 120 km/h. Car suddenly veered right without warning and crashed into the centre median (edit: divider at the exit fork). Both wheels (edit: one wheel) completely shattered, my door wouldn’t even open correctly. I’m unharmed.”

Greece Tesla Model 3 crash.jpg

I fear Tesla Autopilot is becoming the Pinto of semi-autonomous self driving cars and giving every other system a bad name in a spill-over effect.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I bet insurance companies are gathering the details/facts on these events and will start to adjust insurance premiums accordingly. But having said that the human has been a factor in most of these events. Pity the car looks totaled and if M3 parts availability are as scarce as S/X models, he could be waiting for months once he gets the car back to the US.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
I bet insurance companies are gathering the details/facts on these events and will start to adjust insurance premiums accordingly. But having said that the human has been a factor in mist of these events. Pity the car looks totaled and if M3 parts availability are as scarce as S/X models, he could be waiting for months once he gets the car back to the US.
By being "semi" autonomous (e.g., NOT autonomous) the human will always be the cause of the crash. They turned AutoPilot on after all, so it's their responsibility for whatever happens.

There is a major problem with these so-called semi-autonomous systems (v.s self driving cars). It's the requirement that the human be ready to quickly take control if an event occurs. The problem is, most humans take too long to react (assuming they are even paying attention) and a crash occurs. Yes, if the person already has their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road and are fully engaged as a driver, no problem. But then why even have AutoPilot?

As is being seen again and again, and again, AutoPilot is being misused and people are dying as a result. In my opinion, either have a fully self driving car or a human driving the car. When you split the responsibility between the car and the driver as AutoPilot does, a control gap is created. Add to that that Autopilot lacks eye-tracking feedback thereby enabling the driver to NOT have eyes on the road and creating a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet insurance companies are gathering the details/facts on these events and will start to adjust insurance premiums accordingly. But having said that the human has been a factor in mist of these events. Pity the car looks totaled and if M3 parts availability are as scarce as S/X models, he could be waiting for months once he gets the car back to the US.
I bet the crashed Tesla is never shipped back to the US. There is no way to be certain the battery pack will not catch fire days or weeks after the crash. What shipping line will assume the risk of a cargo fire at sea?

·
Registered
473 Posts
As much as I am rooting for Tesla to succeed, I think the only prudent thing to do, either voluntarily or via an NHTSA directive, is for Tesla to disable the autosteer systems in all their cars. The way they are designed they both enable and encourage drivers to operate the vehicle in an unsafe manner. Until Tesla can modify the design to insure that drivers are indeed paying attention, the systems should not be allowed to be enabled.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My take on it is that at this point in time, autopilot should be used as a safety feature (similar to LKA). The technology is not mature enough and there are too many unknown variables in road conditions, lane markings, traffic patterns, etc... for it ever to function properly.

Perhaps the use of autopilot in cars should be restricted to cases where the driver has some kind of event - (e.g. medical emergency, passes out, etc...) and is unable to maintain control of the car. In these cases the autopilot system should guide the car to a safe stop - that is all.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
YouYouXue post from several days before where he noted significant cracking/clacking sounds from steering: "Hope the car doesn't fall apart!"

reddit:
He took his Model 3 to Europe where they're not sold yet all for personal publicity and 'likes'.

He also drove at 141mph while taking a video with other cars around,
took a video of no-hands driving while he ate,
spoke often of crazy driving schedules with little sleep and
took a video of extended autopilot driving at night with his headlights off.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
YouYouXue post from several days before where he noted significant cracking/clacking sounds from steering: "Hope the car doesn't fall apart!"

reddit:
He took his Model 3 to Europe where they're not sold yet all for personal publicity and 'likes'.

So what your saying is
HE got what he deserves .guys an idiot.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
So far, the Autopilot trend I see is bad drivers are being enabled to drive even more irresponsibly.

Rather than adding a layer of safety, they and those around them are being placed in even greater jeopardy by over-reliance on an imperfect technology. The drivers in these crashes and deaths are at fault for abusing and/or over-reliance on AP. Tesla is also at fault for not having a better way to ensure the driver can't game the steering wheel and can't look away from the road for more than a few seconds.

A lot can happen in 2-3 seconds when your hands are not on the wheel and your eyes are not on the road.

That said, YouYouXue seems like a special kind of idiot. His steering system is making very odd cracking/clacking sounds and he basically ignores it and drives at high speed? To me he is another example of a Tesla owner with "more money than brains".

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does an automobile manufacturer have a responsibility to protect the consumer from lack of judgement or driving ability? We all know that speed, or the illusion of it, sells vehicles. Should vehicles come with factory speed limiter set to 85 mph? This might save some lives but not as many lives if a permanent vehicle interlock blood alcohol sensor were required on every new vehicle. I am not in favor of either of these safety measures. As regards Autosteer or other Autopilot technology. Until these systems become standard equipment on new vehicles it would be a good safety protocol if buyers were required to watch a short video, sign a waiver that they understand the limits of the technology and they the driver must be prepared to retake full control of the vehicle at all times. Would it help prevent some of the autopilot crashes? I don't know but it might be worth trying.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Does an automobile manufacturer have a responsibility to protect the consumer from lack of judgement or driving ability?
Perhaps they do. At one point in time you did not need to have safety guards on limb severing machinery. After all, it's the operator's fault if their finger, hand, arm or life is lost iduring a gap in attention while operating that fender stamping machine.

Regarding AP, etc., look at what GM did with SuperCruise and it's head and eye-tracking safety feature.

Take your eyes off the road for more than five or six seconds – whether it be staring down at the infotainment screen, side mirrors, or any place but the road – and the car will quickly react. Super Cruise will intervene first, by alerting you with a flashing green light bar on the steering wheel; ignore it and the bar flashes red, accompanied by seat pulses and beeps. Still playing dumb? It adds voice prompts, then slows the car to a safe stop if you still don’t respond. By that time—even if you finally did take over—you’re put in the penalty box and can’t reactivate Super Cruise again without an engine restart.

Super Cruise’s steering-wheel-mounted infrared light emitters work to follow the driver's eyes, even if they are wearing sunglasses or it's night. It addresses drowsy driving the same way.

However, I'm still against the hands-free feature regardless of the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
So what your saying is HE got what he deserves .guys an idiot.
None of those are my quotes but just what others are reporting.

Assuming all that is true, he did not seem to be very responsible and it would seem created additional risk for not only himself but those around him.

·
Registered
790 Posts
We have an interesting dichotomy here. In one sense, we have Tesla owners acting irresponsibly with the autopilot system (e.g. sleeping while behind the wheel). On the other side, we have Tesla owners suing Tesla for what they describe as a useless and dangerous system (source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...over-dangerous-autopilot-system-idUSKCN1IQ1SH).

Tesla as a company is caught in the middle between pleasing the owners of the car as well as making the AP system 'idiot-proof'. Obviously Elon Musk is to blame for this for overselling a feature which is nowhere near ready for prime time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
None of those are my quotes but just what others are reporting.

Assuming all that is true, he did not seem to be very responsible and it would seem created additional risk for not only himself but those around him.
and none of this will matter if the autopilot truly did steer the car into a wall because that would simply prove that autopilot is more dangerous than people who drive recklessly on purpose

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Appears we have another candidate for this years Darwin Award.

But on another subject of stupid human behavior, I wonder how many deaths, injuries, destruction of homes, and property damage are caused by those turkey deep fryers each year.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Keep in mind, Tesla engineers wanted to add eye tracking and other sensors to Autopilot at its debut to help alert drivers but were rejected by Musk for being ineffective.

The patented SuperCruise system seems very effective. I wonder what GM knows that Musk does not?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts