GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Tesla could be underselling Model 3’s range and charging capacity, reveals EPA document.

Range on the higher capacity battery is an EPA 334 mile while being able to charge at 210kW.

https://electrek.co/2017/10/26/tesla-model-3-range-charging-capacity-underselling-epa-document/

I guess those new cells coming out of the Gigafactory are really able to handle the juice.
Well, it is always a benefit to a car manufacturer to have higher EPA ranges than the company was originally pitching...:)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Goes right along with the "anti-sell the 3 so S and X orders aren't neutered" strategy. Maybe the 3 will perform better in 3rd party range testing than the S and X, which have underperformed in CR's range tests!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
As I said there, my belief is they did that to adjust for 19" wheels, which get about 10% worse range.

The EPA Report is not totally clear whether or not those were installed for the test. They are listed as a sub configuration, but they don't say if that sub configuration was used for the test. It is implied it might have been used, but not clear.

Not surprised on 210 kw rating as the car has a power rating of 192 kw or something like that (also in EPA report), so it just means it can charge at the same rate it can discharge. Nothing really exciting there unless they actually allow that. My guess is it wouldn't ever go above current supercharging rates.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Tell Fremont to use people who know how to run a dyno before somebody gets hurt. Holy cow. Amateur hour.
You don't hook the straps like that. If one gets 1" looser, all hell breaks loose. The car walks rapidly, one tire contacts the ground, the inertia has been known to break the straps.

But it will be very cool if the Model 3 is shipped with those numbers. The EPA has not reported the numbers yet.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Let's hope they can start ramping up production to meet demand. I have no intention of buying an M3 but I want it and Tesla to succeed.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
As I said there, my belief is they did that to adjust for 19" wheels, which get about 10% worse range.

The EPA Report is not totally clear whether or not those were installed for the test. They are listed as a sub configuration, but they don't say if that sub configuration was used for the test. It is implied it might have been used, but not clear.
The entire configuration issue can be complex. All depends on the mix and what options are most popular. Often it doesn't have any effect but with something like larger wheels it could matter. Often a point of discussion between the manufacturer and the EPA.

In any event the range difference doesn't seem overwhelming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts