GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the mode button (2nd gen, not sure on 1st gen) makes no sense where 3 of the settings control the battery usage and the other setting controls throttle, I have a suggestion. It also includes the 'L' setting on the shifter because that also only affects the throttle settings. Here it is:

Keep the mode button, eliminate the sport setting. Just have battery usage modes. Move battery hold to the second space because I'm guessing that is the most commonly used after normal. Not a big deal.

Get rid of sport mode and the 'L' shifter setting. Have "analog" throttle settings (I say analog but it really would be digital with lots of variation). This could be in the settings done using the dashboard menu system. There would be 3 numbers to set in my concept:

1. Throttle center point - this would adjust how from you push the throttle down to get to the zero input/zero output spot. It could be at the top (I'm calling the top the position of the throttle when not touching it), so you never would go into regen mode by letting off, or it could be nice and deep to give you a lot of precise control over regen. I forsee the setting on this being a percentage between 0% and 50%.

2. Throttle on sensitivity - increasing this number would be similar to the current sport setting. Basically it would reduce the travel of the throttle from zero to max allowing for more abrupt input. The opposite would give you more precise control over minute changes. I think the current normal setting gives plenty of ability to be precise, so that would be 0% and maybe 100% would be a bit touchier than current sport.

3. Throttle off max regen - I wouldn't mind if the max regen when letting off the throttle was akin to being in low mode and holding the steering wheel paddle. Maybe it can go higher, I don't know the limitations of the car and how much regen it could handle, but it would be nice if we could take advantage of it. I think now the max regen is around 30KW, I haven't really investigated to deeply. The setting choices would be a range of 0KW to maybe 60KW in increments of 5KW.

To some degree the settings are tied together, and there will have to be override to prevent you from setting the throttle at 5% from the top and 60KW regen. It just wouldn't be driveable.

There would have to be saved settings with names, whether for different people or just how you feel like driving that day. I don't think it needs more than 5 save slots. One for my commute, one for sunday driving, one for the wife, etc.

Are there flaws in this idea? With the way I drive the volt (I'm always in 'L') I think I would love these options. I also don't see that it would add any cost to the car.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Completely disagree. The most used mode order is: normal, sport, hold, mountain. Now in the gen 1, mountain comes before hold so there's an argument for that order, but talk of eliminating the more aggressive pedal mapping of sport mode doesn't have much support, IMHO.

Likewise, there is little to no reason to eliminate the L position on the shifter. GEN 2 has paddle shifters to granularly adjust anything short of L, but many times drivers to go straight to max regen without fiddling with the paddles.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Although I personally would love what you propose (I would map very precise control on the first half of the pedal) like eco.

Most would find that setup frustrating.

A single button push for hold and a separate button for eco/sport/ normal would be better

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Adjustable throttle responses is potentially a really bad idea with multiple driver fiddling with it. That's probably one reason the car defaults back to normal on start up.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I just want the freaking mode button on the shifter where it belongs :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was a little torn about the potential safety hazards with changing throttle response and trying to get used to it. Maybe the only setting would be the "centerpoint" and the regen max adjusts with it. Basically what the 'L' currently does, but takes it another level. How about 'L2' and 'L3".

That sure would confuse the hell out of people that expect that think they are downshifting. A lot of people still don't understand 'L' that own Volts.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'd settle for remembering last used settings at a minimum.
Next step, remember by fob (i.e. his and hers settings that are determined by the fob used to start the car)
Next, split normal/sport to one setting and normal/hold/mountain to another as they're really two mutually exclusive elements

finally, way down the list, offer customization options therein. The first being 'neutral zone'. IMO there should be a wider section in between accel and decel so you can easily coast without needing to hold an exact pedal position without any deviation whatsoever.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The car is already confusing enough. Your last couple of paragraphs are sufficient to kill the idea. Selling such a system would be a nightmare for sales reps that don't want to sell the car anyway. Since the tires can be skidded some on dry, level road full throttle take-offs in Normal, I personally don't use sport mode, though many love it. Here's my counterproposal:
1) a separate Sport button 2) modulated regen paddle control with more robust max setting 3) re-label L on shifter to D2 or whatever. (anything but L) KISS

·
Registered
802 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Provide an engine with enough power to eliminate the need for Mountain Mode. I'm often embarrassed to mention there are situations the Volt goes into "power reduced" mode.

2. On my Gen 1, I occasionally used Sport mode. With my Gen 2, it has plenty of pep in Normal and I'm afraid to even try Sport mode.

3. Leave L where it belongs, on the shifter.

Conclusion:

Turn the mode button into a Hold button.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My problem with single mode button is that is a place holder for whatever didn't fit elsewhere. Sport should be allowed in Mountain mode, for example.

It should be 2 separate functions, sport button and hold mode. If you engage hold mode it would act as mountain mode automatically if below 40% charge, or could have configurable charge setting so you set % to charge to.

Or better yet, sport mode and hybrid mode, and if in hybrid mode, parallel operation would be used more, especially at higher speeds. If in sport hybrid mode faster acceleration would be achieved running in parallel mode.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I'd settle for Gen 1 and Gen 2 charge indicators indicating in the same manner. I usually just drive and find little need to be playing with the mode button while doing so. At some point in designing a product, a decision has to be made about how many features are included.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would have to say that I think Chev has done a pretty good job of keeping it relatively simple to operate my Gen 2 Volt. I use L most of the time along with Normal and I use the regen paddle often to assist in slowing down. I think the car is really fun to drive and I find myself looking for excuses to run into town! On long trips I use Hold to preserve some electric only running around when I arrive at my destination. I just wish the Volt had even more electric only range. In fact, I wish it didn't need a gas engine at all!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Completely disagree. The most used mode order is: normal, sport, hold, mountain.
Everybody has an opinion. I would fine tune it like: Normal, Hold, Sport, Mountain. If you like sport so much just buy a Corvette.

I like to try sport once in a while but I find normal works for me 95% of the time. I use hold to run the engine once in a while and it would be nice to hit the mode button 2 times to engage it. I live in N.E. NC so I never need/use Mountain mode.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts