GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2014 Volt two weeks ago and one of the things I liked about the interior was the small compartment above the dash. It looked just the right size to fit a wireless charging pad for my phone, and combined with the power outlet I figured it would be perfect. Unfortunately, after buying the stuff I needed I realized it's just big enough to fit the charging pad, not the charging pad with a plug hanging out the side, and the USB plug into the power outlet also got in the way.

Today I decided to tear open the charging pad and found that there were nice solder points to solder in +5 and GND wires if you wanted to hard wire it. I took a spare USB cord I had and cut a notch in the charger's case to hard wire the cable in. Then I used a dremel to grind down excess plastic on the USB plug and peeled the remaining pieces off with a knife and pliers until the plug was short enough to not protrude out of the outlet too much. I angled the wires 90 degrees out of the outlet as well and glued them in place.

The end result is a charger that fits almost perfectly. My Note 3 just fits with a tiny bit of room to spare. It works perfectly to charge the phone while I'm driving, and since I have Bluetooth I never should need to actually touch the phone.

Pictures of the process below, I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the charger, but for this brand of charger it's held together by clips around the outside and easily opened with a plastic pry tool.

http://imgur.com/a/ni2Kp

·
Registered
13,954 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still don't think there would be enough room, plus I needed an L shaped USB-A as well or the outlet flap would get in the way. I couldn't find any cables with a short or angled A-side. No exposed wires are completely exposed as I covered them with hot glue, if I wanted to put more time into it I may be able to use an opaque glue or other material instead.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use wireless charging with my Nokia 1520 in a ProClips mount. I found a thin charger that will fit in the mount along with my phone. Works perfectly, and always keeps the phone charged while using Waze or music or whatever.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Nice mod.

I'm just wondering if you considered doing that in the "cave" cubby? The one below the infotainment area, forward of the shifter. I'd think that would be more easily accessible than the top compartment, and probably cooler without direct sunlight hitting it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't consider putting it in the "cave", mainly because there's no power outlet there and I don't want to do any permanent mods to the car to run wires. I won't be leaving my phone in there when the car is off, so I'm not too worried about heat buildup. If you were to run a power outlet under there it would be a pretty good spot I'd think.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I was thinking charging pad in 'the cave', under rubber mat.
Rubber means no slip and slide, and won't interfere with charging.
Run USB cable to USB port in armrest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts