GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently keep my mobile phone mounted on a small vent mount on the driver-side left vent in my 2012 Volt.

I'm considering replacing it with a more permanent phone mount, screwed into the dash just above that vent.

My only concern with doing this is how it could be affected by airbag deployment. Based on the drawings in the owner's manual, using this phone mount just above the left vent appears to keep it well clear of both the steering wheel air bag and the side airbags, in the event of airbag deployment.

Any opinions on the region of the airbag deployment zone and/or whether this mount would present a danger in the event of deployment?

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Not a fan of screws going into the dash, regardless of the airbag. YMMV

Reactions: JMazzy

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,180 Posts
What about a suction cup type mount on that little triangular window on the driver’s door?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not a fan of screws going into the dash, regardless of the airbag. YMMV
Likewise, I would prefer not to drive screws into the dash. That said, I've found clamps and suction cups to be unreliable - the mount simply falls off with medium force or after a certain amount of time. And using an adhesive to affix the mount seems much less desirable than using screws.

I guess I should clarify that my question is less about what type of mount might work best. Rather, I'm curious to hear whether anyone believes airbag deployment could make this mount unsafe. As I said, from the drawings in the owner's manual, it appears the small area at and just above the driver's side left vent seems free from airbag deployment zones. The goal, of course, is to avoid having the mount and the phone ejected violently if the airbag were ever to deploy in an accident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a suction cup type mount on that little triangular window on the driver’s door?
Thanks for the suggestion.

One of the problems with that type of window mount (aside from the unreliable nature of suction cups I've seen in the past) is that I frequently keep the phone plugged into the USB power cord. If the door needs to be opened, the cord would be stretched and may possibly be caught in the door when closed again. I suspect the shutting of the door would weaken the suction more quickly, too. All in all, it seems less than ideal.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I too would worry about the deployment of the air bag. I currently have a mount in the CD slot that works well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too would worry about the deployment of the air bag. I currently have a mount in the CD slot that works well.
Hmm, a CD slot phone mount could be a viable alternative. Thanks.

I remember seeing CD slot mounts in the past, but I wasn't sure how stable they might be. It's also a little unclear if keeping it in place long-term does any damage to the disc player, although I almost never play discs so probably not a big issue if the player stopped working.

Have you found your CD slot mount is fairly stable? Does the mount shake loose from the slot over time?

What's the make/model of the mount you're using?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've used the CD mount for 5 years now and two different vehicles including the volt. It stays in there quite firmly minimal risk of it falling out and the grips don't actually go far enough to interfere with the disc tray in any way they basically just make contact with the outer frame and trim. It is a minor inconvenience in the Gen 1 Volt using a modest size smartphone but I'm willing to live with it. I really only my phone up there for navigation otherwise it stays somewhere in the console. I leave the mount on all the time and by itself it's not in the way.

Mine sticks out a little far so it isn't terribly stable but it isn't terribly unstable either. Someone on this website has their own custom accessories website with a phone mount that wraps around and fixes below the power button that's probably the best one to be honest.

I use a cheap "iotti" brand from Amazon it's a few years old now.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
Someone on this website has their own custom accessories website with a phone mount that wraps around and fixes below the power button that's probably the best one to be honest.
VoltPhone

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
160 Posts
Mine is in the same position as the Voltphone 3 from the link above, but using a $3 "spider" bendable mount thing. One leg is captured in the dash bin, two are in the driver's right air vent, and the other 5 cradle the phone. I put it just low enough to catch some air conditioning air to cool the phone while it's charging and in the sun. Works fairly well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone on this website has their own custom accessories website with a phone mount that wraps around and fixes below the power button that's probably the best one to be honest.
VoltPhone
Thank you both for the lead on the VoltPhone mounts. On the surface anyway, those seem the most ideal mounting options I've reviewed so far. The VoltPhone 3 appears to have the best placement for my needs so I'll give that a try although I may also experiment with a CD slot mount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
VoltPhone

1 for the VoltPhone mount. I've had the #1 mount for several years and love it. And it definitely keeps me from accidentally shutting off the car when I mean to change driving modes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts