GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would consider the charger that comes with the car, and located in below the trunk floor panel, mobile enough. What do you mean "mobile"?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yea, I had ordered an extra 120v charge unit, as I have one set up permanently at the house. I wanted one to keep in the car. My dealer said it hadn't come in yet.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I would consider the charger that comes with the car, and located in below the trunk floor panel, mobile enough. What do you mean "mobile"?
Actually the charger unit is mounted in the RH front corner of the car, in behind the RH headlamp assembly. I think you may have been referring to the Auxullary Power Module (DC-DC converter) that charges the 12V battery while driving.

Also people who might be interested in a portable 240V EVSE might want to check out the unit SPx plans to sell
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...on-to-be-availble-Volt-240V-Charging-stations

OT

·
Registered
895 Posts
Actually the charger unit is mounted in the RH front corner of the car, in behind the RH headlamp assembly. I think you may have been referring to the Auxullary Power Module (DC-DC converter) that charges the 12V battery while driving.

Also people who might be interested in a portable 240V EVSE might want to check out the unit SPx plans to sell
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...on-to-be-availble-Volt-240V-Charging-stations

OT
Actually, I'm pretty sure that both Michael and sgc are referring to the 120V EVSE that comes with the Volt in the "trunk." And what the original question was "how to buy an additional one," so you can have one in the car and leave one in the garage. As in buy one from the parts department at a Chevy dealer or from the accessories page at Chevy dot com.

No cords at http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Chevrolet/2011/Volt/ . . . yet.

MichaelH

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yea, I had ordered an extra 120v charge unit, as I have one set up permanently at the house. I wanted one to keep in the car. My dealer said it hadn't come in yet.
what does the additional charger unit cost???

Thanks

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
what does the additional charger unit cost???
As of late last week, the additional 120V EVSE was not in the parts database (according to the CA parts manager at my dealership). Other parts Volt accessories were in the system, but weren't orderable.

·
Registered
140 Posts
my local volt parts department (salinas, CA) said "something like $400", but it's not available until all the initial Volt owners get their cable.

seems a bit high for an extension cord with a small circuit.

I ordered the SPX voltec 220 to have that capability and was going to put a 14-50 nema plug and an appropriate breaker onto it, in the hopes of finding a way to use the existing avcons in my area. I have read that they will be mostly converted over to J1772 in the future in California, with the legacy Avcon vehicles using an adapter back from J1772 to avcon.

I will post again after I get things checked out with an electrician and wired up.

if I were more patient, the mobile charging unit by SPX looks good, and it is probably already fused. it looks a lot like the one tesla sells for $1500

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that both Michael and sgc are referring to the 120V EVSE that comes with the Volt in the "trunk." And what the original question was "how to buy an additional one," so you can have one in the car and leave one in the garage. As in buy one from the parts department at a Chevy dealer or from the accessories page at Chevy dot com.

No cords at http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Chevrolet/2011/Volt/ . . . yet.

MichaelH
LOL I think you're right! (I obviously mis-read the OP)
Thanks!
*However if you locate the 120V EVSE mounting instructions I've posted elsewhere, there is a part number listed that can be ordered via a dealer
(assuming you "missed the boat" on having it as an LPO)
WOT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts