GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Mitsubishi sub forum only mentions the iMev I didn't know if this belonged here or in the Mitsubishi sub-forum...

Anyway, all kinds of articles saying it is finally coming to the US in December of 2017 as a 2018 model after being available in Europe and Japan for the last 5 years... but when I check on the mitsucarsusa web page they don't have it available in the 2018 "build and price" section! They do have it in the "upcoming" section so I guess it may finally arrive next year. After so many delays any "available soon!" announcements are taken with a grain of salt.

Looks like it has a 60KW motor on each axle and a 12 kWh battery pack, so 160 HP in EV only mode. Not the best for a heavy SUV, but the instant torque would be nice. The 12 kWh battery pack means it does not qualify for the full federal tax credit, and it has around 20 miles of range in EV mode. In Japan and Europe it does have DC fast charging, giving you 80% charge in 25 min.... not that rapid really, 16 miles of range in 25 min seams sort of silly when you have a gasoline engine backup. There is speculation that the US market may not get the DC fast charging.

Three mods, full EV, series hybrid (engine powers generator, generator powers motors) and parallel hybrid (engine powers front wheels and generator, generator powers front and rear motor) In EV mode as mentioned above you have 160 HP available from the electric motors... I could not find specifications on available power in parallel hybrid mode.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
DC fast charging could be a problem, and by that I mean the last thing you want to see at the charger when you pull up is having it full of Outlander SUVs that have a 20 mile electric range, especially when you consider it isn't much faster than L2 for such a small battery.

I am glad to see it finally coming to the US, been a long time, although it will have a lot of competition now. I really want a minimum of 30 miles EV range though, seems much more useful. 20 just isn't enough for me.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
DC fast charging could be a problem, and by that I mean the last thing you want to see at the charger when you pull up is having it full of Outlander SUVs that have a 20 mile electric range, especially when you consider it isn't much faster than L2 for such a small battery.

I am glad to see it finally coming to the US, been a long time, although it will have a lot of competition now. I really want a minimum of 30 miles EV range though, seems much more useful. 20 just isn't enough for me.
Actually the L2 on the Oultander is fairly slow. At 3.3KW it takes nearly 4 hours to charge on L2.

On CHAdeMO it will DC charge in a little over 30mins (0-80% in 20mins).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
This is going to be very interesting. An AWD PHEV for a little over $35k.
No current plug-in competition for key elements (price+AWD+small SUV).

A little over $6k more than a RAV4 hybrid with a $5.8k tax credit.

Depends a lot on fundamentals of the vehicle, I think. If the fundamentals are half-decent it should be one of the top selling plug-ins.

"Only" 1500lb tow rating, it seems, but that's better than the 0lb rating over many others.

Slow DCFC capability (20kw) still means better public charging economics overall. It'll give it about 40mph.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Exciting news, the good, price, size, and warranty. The not so good, range. But it's a start. I had to buy two GM vehicles ( see my signature) at a cost of $80K+ to fill our families driving needs, Volt as our DD and Acadia for road trips. We could live with just one vehicle if GM made an Acadia size PHEV with about a 35-40 mile EV range.

Oh well, hope springs eternal.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Personally, I live in Kentucky. I couldn't even tell you where a Mitsubishi dealer is, much less where the closest one is. Serving one of these things would be a nightmare for many including myself.

·
Banned
260 Posts
This is going to be very interesting. An AWD PHEV for a little over $35k.
No current plug-in competition for key elements (price+AWD+small SUV).

A little over $6k more than a RAV4 hybrid with a $5.8k tax credit.

Depends a lot on fundamentals of the vehicle, I think. If the fundamentals are half-decent it should be one of the top selling plug-ins.

"Only" 1500lb tow rating, it seems, but that's better than the 0lb rating over many others.

Slow DCFC capability (20kw) still means better public charging economics overall. It'll give it about 40mph.
I think it was a misprint and it should be a 1500kg rating which is 3300 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts