GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a small sample set but a dealership about an hour away has 21 Outlander PHEVs in stock. My local dealership has 4 of them in stock. All of them are $4-6K below MSRP. The best deal I found was a $36k MSRP car selling for $29.9K. I'm guessing the fed tax credit is a partial one since the battery isn't big enough to warrant the full $7.5k.

Contrast that to the Volt and Bolt, I've never seen more than 2 on a local dealership's lot.

Kudos for Mitsu for trying (recall, GM seems to hit the CARB states first, then trickle out to the rest of us). I fear that poor Mitsubishi has become the forgotten car company with Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, and Mazda easily beating them out in popularity, then Kia and Hyundai snagging all the budget conscious folks. They're between a rock and a hard place.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I owned a Mitsubishi once - will never own another one. Fun to drive but the reliability was almost as bad as Chrysler. As for their Outlander PHEV, I've seen fewer advertisements for it than for the Volt; no one even knows it exists.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mitsubishi is famous for not advertising or promoting their EV's - I have two of their 2012 BEV's and even after 6 years, people still tell us "I didn't know Mitsu made an EV"

They have sold more than 100K Outlander PHEV's in Europe - The introduction in the USA was delayed by several years

The 2018 Outlander qualified for $5,836 of the $7,500 credit and it had a 12 Kw battery. The 2019 model has 13.8 Kw, so it should get most of the credit, if not all

I've had 4 Mitsubishi's over my lifetime and not had a reliability or quality issue with any of them. Our iMiEV's are our daily drivers and we've never had the slightest problem with any of them. Maintenance cost so far have been less than the cost of a tank of gas for an ordinary car

Don

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Here's the commercial they've been showing here.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Mitsubishi is famous for not advertising or promoting their EV's - I have two of their 2012 BEV's and even after 6 years, people still tell us "I didn't know Mitsu made an EV"

They have sold more than 100K Outlander PHEV's in Europe - The introduction in the USA was delayed by several years

The 2018 Outlander qualified for $5,836 of the $7,500 credit and it had a 12 Kw battery. The 2019 model has 13.8 Kw, so it should get most of the credit, if not all

I've had 4 Mitsubishi's over my lifetime and not had a reliability or quality issue with any of them. Our iMiEV's are our daily drivers and we've never had the slightest problem with any of them. Maintenance cost so far have been less than the cost of a tank of gas for an ordinary car

Don
Reasonable sales outside of USA and on their 2nd or 3rd generation I think.

https://www.hybridcars.com/2019-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-10-percent-increased-battery-capacity/
The 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV will come with an upgraded battery capacity.

The updated Outlander PHEV has a 10 percent larger battery and an upgraded 2.4-liter Atkinson Cycle inline four-cylinder engine with two electric motors – one on each of the front and rear axles. This translates to an improved all-electric range of 28 miles (per WLTP numbers) versus 22 with the prior version, with an 85 mph all-electric top speed from 78 mph.

No horsepower or torque numbers have been released. Two new drive modes, Snow and Sport, will also be offered and provide variations in grip and throttle response.

Look for the 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV to make landfall in Europe in the second half of the year, where the vehicle is more popular, with more than 100,000 units sold since 2013. Its U.S. arrival date and pricing details have yet to be announced, but we’ll update you when they become available. The 2018 Outlander PHEV was priced from $35,500 in the US.

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So why sell a 2018 model then change the drivetrain in the 2019? That just means the 2018 was an afterthought in the US after selling so many of them worldwide. This makes no sense.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Mitsubishi almost pulled out of the U.S. market completely a few years ago. In some ways, I'm surprised the Outlander PHEV even made it here.

If we even see a small spike in gas prices, those Outlander PHEVs are going to fly off the lots. If nothing else, Americans will want their SUVs.

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I owned a Mitsubishi once - will never own another one. Fun to drive but the reliability was almost as bad as Chrysler. As for their Outlander PHEV, I've seen fewer advertisements for it than for the Volt; no one even knows it exists.
Mitsubishi and Chrysler were partners for awhile as there was a Diamond Star Motors planet in Bloomington IL that made Mitsubishi engines destined for a number of cars. my wife’s Dodge Daytona has a Mitsubishi engine in it. Sadly, I think that factory closed years ago.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
LL - I thought that you didn't like the Outlander PHEV because it didn't have a liquid cooled/heated battery pack?
I was concerned about that as well so I asked when I went in to have a look. It's air cooled but I think he said air cooled with A/C air when needed. 10 year warranty on battery just like the Volt battery seems to have longevity backed up by previous experience. The one I sat in had the off road upgrade package with knobby tires and roof rack etc (for a car show). Motor front, back ICE connects in parallel, serial as needed. J1772 and CHAdeMo charging was nice. Din't have the range of Volt (what does?) but it is bigger and bulkier so to be expected.

·
Registered
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LL - I thought that you didn't like the Outlander PHEV because it didn't have a liquid cooled/heated battery pack?
You are right, I don’t want one. But where did I give any impression that I did. This was an article about how they aren’t selling well, thus the heavy discount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts