GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Sankei newspaper reported today (July 10) that Mitsubishi Motors made decision yesterday that they would start selling to the general public its i-MiEV EV by the summer next year (2009). Several i-MiEV pre-production cars are currently being road tested jointly with utility companies.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The Sankei newspaper reported today (July 10) that Mitsubishi Motors made decision yesterday that they would start selling to the general public its i-MiEV EV by the summer next year (2009). Several i-MiEV pre-production cars are currently being road tested jointly with utility companies.
Yes, but those initial '09 sales were going to be Japanese market only from what I've read. Then Europe sales were supposed to start very soon thereafter, and then US sales probably in '10.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, but those initial '09 sales were going to be Japanese market only from what I've read. Then Europe sales were supposed to start very soon thereafter, and then US sales probably in '10.
That '10 number is pure speculation, right? I'm tempted to buy over the Volt as it's a commuter and a BEV and allegedly about $15,000 cheaper. It'll perhaps be available sooner as well... Exciting times.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That '10 number is pure speculation, right? I'm tempted to buy over the Volt as it's a commuter and a BEV and allegedly about $15,000 cheaper. It'll perhaps be available sooner as well... Exciting times.
'10 for the US is in everything I read on the subject.

But two major players racing for the same deadline can only be a plus for us. Not sure where I stand on the MiEV vs. the Volt, mostly because we haven't seen the Volt yet!

BEV is fine for me as long as I get a days worth of driving (60 miles at an absolutle minimum) without recharging, and I do like the MiEV styling!

·
Registered
350 Posts
mwalsh wrote: “Yes, but those initial '09 sales were going to be Japanese market only from what I've read. Then Europe sales were supposed to start very soon thereafter, and then US sales probably in '10.”

Yes, looks like Mitsu estimated first year sales of 2000 to 3000 cars in the Japanese market. The newspaper also reported that the retail price would be about $24000 (2.5 million yen). They really had a good exposure as the i-MiEV was used for local transportation purpose at the recent G8 summit. Since the public response has been much better than expected, Mitsu is now negotiating with its partners (GS Yuasa and Mitsubishi Trading) for expansion of production capacity of the Li-ion cells at their joint venture factory in Kyoto. As for the U.S. market, the car must be federalized and switch to LHD.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Update as of moments ago.....looks like they are maybe pushing for a '09 launch World-wide (or at least to Canada?):

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/features/going_green/story.html?id=ccaac21b-ae3a-421c-9fc7-d83004b0c52f

"Mitsubishi Motors Corp. will start selling its i MiEV plug-in electric vehicle to retail customers next summer, a year ahead of schedule, news sources said Wednesday, just as Nissan and Renault sign a pact to have mass-market electric cars on the road by 2011 and BMW explores an electric Mini.

The car is to be equipped with an advanced lithium ion battery, rechargeable from standard household outlets, and will be able to travel around 160km without a recharge. Mitsubishi Motors hopes to sell 2,000 i MiEVs in the first year and to boost the figure to 10,000 units by fiscal 2011.

Production is to begin as early as April.

The i MiEV would be able to travel about 160 km without a recharge.

Mitsubishi had initially planned to start leasing the minicar-based vehicle to businesses and municipalities next summer and to wait until 2010 for the retail launch. But it moved up the retail release in light of smoother-than-expected preparations for mass production and the favorable sales conditions created by runaway gasoline prices, Dow Jones reported."

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's great news for us Canadian folks. I'm happy to hear that report. Hopefully the plans workout and a few make it out into the prairie provinces. I'm excited to see this vehicle and maybe take it for a spin and consider the lease of one.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Japan's 10-15 Mode cylcle is a city cycle with mild breaking.

Speed (max)= 80MPH
Power (max)= 47KW
Battery = 16KW total capacity
Range = 100 mile using 100% battery capacity (auxiliary loads?)
Battery Life = ?

This is a small step up from a NEV. It performs only a little better but the highway rating will make it practical for many additional commuters. Don't expect much more than a commute out of it. Even if you use 100% of the battery, it will get less than 70 miles of highway range. Don't expect too much life if 100% of the battery capacity is used.

The more EV's that come out, the sooner they will become practical for more people. This is very good, but they have to be viewed realistically. Mitsubishi will have to provide more data to better know this cars capabilities, but it looks like it will esentially be a neighborhood micro-car with the ability to drive on the highway when needed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
"Mitsubishi had initially planned to start leasing the minicar-based vehicle to businesses and municipalities next summer and to wait until 2010 for the retail launch. "

The keyword being 'leasing'. I'll wait until I can outright buy the vehicle.

·
Registered
151 Posts
"Mitsubishi had initially planned to start leasing the minicar-based vehicle to businesses and municipalities next summer and to wait until 2010 for the retail launch. "

The keyword being 'leasing'. I'll wait until I can outright buy the vehicle.
If the battery craps out after the first year, I think I'd rather lease... But I agree, I'd rather buy outright in general.

·
Registered
495 Posts
$19,000 for an EV that can do 90 miles per charge and has a top speed of about 90MPH. I really like the 4x4 in-wheel motor design. This is one feature that E-Flex should have and that it doesn't.

I have a feeling GM is going too slow. They are about to be overtaken by Mitsubishi! (add a genset mitsubishi! add a genset!!!)

It's about time we see some competition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts