GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excerpt:

"Mitsubishi continues to cool its heals because of one hot battery. Specifically, the Japanese automaker hasn't found a reason why the lithium-ion batteries in its Outlander plug-in hybrid-electric SUV are overheating and therefore will continue its production moratorium, Automotive News says. The Outlander PHEV's batteries are made by Lithium Energy Japan, which is owned by a joint-venture of Mitsubishi and GS Yuasa. The latter company makes batteries for the Boeing Screamliner [my edit :)], which sustained a number of fires earlier this year."

read more...

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Oh oh.

GM made it look so easy.

Not 100% on point, but ...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Excerpt:

"Mitsubishi continues to cool its heals because of one hot battery. Specifically, the Japanese automaker hasn't found a reason why the lithium-ion batteries in its Outlander plug-in hybrid-electric SUV are overheating and therefore will continue its production moratorium, Automotive News says. The Outlander PHEV's batteries are made by Lithium Energy Japan, which is owned by a joint-venture of Mitsubishi and GS Yuasa. The latter company makes batteries for the Boeing Screamliner [my edit :)], which sustained a number of fires earlier this year."

read more...
a number of fires? really?.......... you sound like fox on the ntsb tests.......

http://787updates.newairplane.com/

http://787updates.newairplane.com/Certification/Webcast

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a number of fires? really?.......... you sound like fox on the ntsb tests.......
Hey cmr...dude...chill. I didn't write that article--much less wrote the "number of fires" phrase.

All I did was change Dreamliner to Screamliner. :p

However, a Mitsubishi i-MiEV battery did catch fire (according to the author).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hey cmr...dude...chill. I didn't write that article--much less wrote the "number of fires" phrase.

All I did was change Dreamliner to Screamliner. :p

However, a Mitsubishi i-MiEV battery did catch fire (according to the author).

chill..... no, for 31 years i have been an aviation inspector that has a boeing aircraft taking off somewhere in the world every 3 seconds, 24/7/365 that i said was ok for flight. i deal engineering specifications and cold hard facts .... not unsubstantiated hearsay. when at any given moment you have 200,000 people 5 miles in the sky at 560 mph you don't make your decisions lightly.... chill is the last thing you and your family want me to do...... it comes with the job.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
chill..... no, for 31 years i have been an aviation inspector that has a boeing aircraft taking off somewhere in the world every 3 seconds, 24/7/365 that i said was ok for flight. i deal engineering specifications and cold hard facts .... not unsubstantiated hearsay. when at any given moment you have 200,000 people 5 miles in the sky at 560 mph you don't make your decisions lightly.... chill is the last thing you and your family want me to do...... it comes with the job.
So what's your take on the Boeing battery fix, given that they don't seem to be able to ID the cause last I read?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There is something about the title that is very funny. Continues to halt is like having a dog name "Stay". When you call the dog come here "Stay"

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So what's your take on the Boeing battery fix, given that they don't seem to be able to ID the cause last I read?
they know.... the problem is answered in the 2nd link in my my post to PowerTrip......

"Thales and GS Yuasa will lower the highest charge allowed in the battery monitoring unit and charger and raise the lower level allowed for discharge. The battery charger will also be adapted to soften the charging cycle to put less stress on the battery during charging.

Inside the battery charger, each cell will be better insulated. An electrical insulator is being wrapped around each battery cell to electrically isolate cells from each other and from the battery case, even in the event of a failure. Electrical and thermal insulation installed above, below and between the cells will help keep the heat from the cells from affecting one another. This helps isolate it from the rest of the battery in the unlikely event that a cell fails.

The wire sleeving and the wiring inside the battery will be more resistant to heat and chafing, and the metallic bars that connect the eight cells of the battery will be attached with new fasteners that include a locking mechanism.

Small holes at the bottom of the battery case will allow moisture to drain away from the battery. Larger holes on the sides of the battery will allow a failed battery to vent with less effect on other parts of the battery.

Lastly, the battery will now be enclosed in sealed stainless steel. The enclosure isolates the battery from the rest of the equipment in the electronic equipment bays. It ensures that there can be no fire inside the enclosure, thus adding another layer of protection to the battery system. Any fumes or heat that builds up in the enclosure will be vented outside the airplane."

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, chill. You attacked the messenger (me). That's the last type of person I don't want my family exposed to.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
These japanese manufacturers aren't learning! Yuasa is in trouble from the 787 cockpit battery issue, yet this brand is doing business with car manufacturers, too. They should learn from the best: GM!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts