GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitsubishi Motors Corp admitted to manipulating test data to overstate the fuel economy of 625,000 cars sold in Japan
after Nissan Motor, which markets a similar model made by Mitsubishi, found a discrepancy in fuel efficiency test data.
The tests overstated fuel efficiency by 5 percent to 10 percent.

It is the first Japanese automaker to report misconduct involving fuel economy tests since Volkswagen was discovered last year to have cheated diesel emissions tests in the United States and elsewhere.

South Korean car makers Hyundai Motor Co and affiliate Kia Motors Corp in 2014 agreed to pay $350 million in penalties to the U.S. government for overstating their vehicles' fuel economy ratings. They also resolved claims from car owners.

Mitsubishi said it would examine other models made for global markets to verify their fuel economy levels.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mitsubishimotors-regulations-idUSKCN0XH0LG

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/mitsubishi-motors-plunges-after-improper-handling-of-fuel-tests

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Honda was caught many years ago with speedometers (odometers) that were off by 10% which caused them to hit warranty limits sooner.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Mitsubishi Motors admits manipulating fuel economy tests

Inaccurate tests covered four of its mini-cars, two of which it manufactured for Nissan

Mitsubishi Motors has admitted manipulating test data to overstate the fuel efficiency of 625,000 cars.

The Japanese carmaker said the inaccurate tests covered four of its mini-cars, two of which it manufactured for Nissan. The number of Nissan cars affected was 468,000, while 157,000 were sold under the Mitsubishi brand.

When Nissan tested the cars supplied by Mitsubishi Motors, it found differences between its figures and Mitsubishi’s results. Nissan asked Mitsubishi Motors to investigate and this led the company to discover “improper conduct” and tests that did not meet Japanese law....(Mitsubishi has admitted to using over-inflated tyre pressure to present better fuel consumption figures than the actual figures. The cheat was caught by Nissan when it noticed irregularities in data for its cars which are manufactured by Mitsubishi.)

The company released the information in a statement as its president, Tetsuro Aikawa, held a news conference. He and other company officials bowed deeply at the start of the briefing.

Mitsubishi Motors said: “We found that with respect to the fuel consumption testing data … MMC conducted testing improperly to present better fuel consumption rates than the actual rates and that the testing method was also different from the one required by Japanese law. We express deep apologies to all of our customers and stakeholders for this issue.”

Japan’s sixth-biggest carmaker by market value said it and Nissan had stopped production of the cars and that it would discuss compensation with Nissan.

Shares in Mitsubishi Motors, which is controlled by Japan’s Mitsubishi conglomerate, dropped 15% in Tokyo – their biggest fall in almost 12 years.

The incorrect testing method was used for other cars manufactured for the Japanese market and Mitsubishi Motors will now look at products made for overseas markets. The company will set up an investigation committee of outside experts, it said.

Mitsubishi Motors joins Hyundai, Kia and Ford on the list of carmakers that have mishandled testing or reporting of their models’ fuel economy.

Hyundai and its Kia affiliate agreed to pay $350m (£244m) in 2014 to the US government for overstating vehicles’ fuel economy ratings.

Carmakers are under intense scrutiny about the claims they make for their vehicles after Volkswagen admitted last year that it rigged emissions tests.

VW has set aside €6.7bn (£4.8bn) to pay for the crisis and its shares are down about 30% since the scandal was revealed in September.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/20/mitsubishi-motors-mishandled-fuel-economy-tests

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
I'm wondering which cars are made by Mitsubishi for Nissan?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Glad they were caught ... How can people make informed decisions when the data some companies supply is rigged. All the more reason to looked at several sources before trusting any data from a company. Until you bring MASSIVE fines into the picture some companies will knowingly deceive to maintain a competitive edge--especially when making an expensive products.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm wondering which cars are made by Mitsubishi for Nissan?
I suspect they are talking about a Kei car. Which are sub-sub compact cars sold only in Japan. The Mitsubishi i-miev started it's life as a Kei car. The gasoline powered "i" was redesigned as the all-electric i-miev. When Mitsubishi decided to bring the i-miev to North America they had to add a little width and US Spec bumpers. It's small size has been one of the reasons (among several) that it has been a poor seller in the US market. Mitsu and Nissan have been co-developing several Kei car models for sale in Japan, and even have an Electric Kei car (i-miev replacement) in the works for the Japanese market.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Are the auto manufacturers starting to feel the pressure from CAFE restrictions, or are they just attempting to be competitive? Regardless, the pressure is there. VW had pressure to stay on top, and Mitsubishi has pressure to keep from hitting rock bottom.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's hard enough to get the EPA mileage on a vehicle as it is without them lying about it.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Sadly after test driving and almost purchasing an outlander sport, I became a Mitsubishi fan. If I was ever shopping around for the lowest price car there is a dealership about 80 miles away from me selling new Lancers and Outlander Sports for $13-15K, well below MSRP. So if I'm ever in a position where I can no longer afford the higher end cars I long for (Tesla, Suburban) I'd get one of t here in a heartbeat. I just hope this doesn't ruin them as they have already shut down the old diamond star motors plant in Normal, IL just last November. being the #6 Japanese car maker doesn't give you much room to survive, though Mitsubishi is a much larger company than just cars. I hope they make it. I hope they keep making flagship vehicles like the EVO. Though they need to give up on the iMiev like cars for the US. it might work in Japan, just not here.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Sadly after test driving and almost purchasing an outlander sport, I became a Mitsubishi fan. If I was ever shopping around for the lowest price car there is a dealership about 80 miles away from me selling new Lancers and Outlander Sports for $13-15K, well below MSRP. So if I'm ever in a position where I can no longer afford the higher end cars I long for (Tesla, Suburban) I'd get one of t here in a heartbeat. I just hope this doesn't ruin them as they have already shut down the old diamond star motors plant in Normal, IL just last November. being the #6 Japanese car maker doesn't give you much room to survive, though Mitsubishi is a much larger company than just cars. I hope they make it. I hope they keep making flagship vehicles like the EVO. Though they need to give up on the iMiev like cars for the US. it might work in Japan, just not here.
My understanding is that Mitsubishi is retiring the EVO, which is unfortunate, because it is the perfect platform for a performance EV. Outside of GM in the United States, I can't think of a company with a worse reputation that Mitsubishi, and having owned several Mitsubishi cars, I can say that those negative opinions are unfounded. You won't find a better car for the price.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
My understanding is that Mitsubishi is retiring the EVO, which is unfortunate, because it is the perfect platform for a performance EV. Outside of GM in the United States, I can't think of a company with a worse reputation that Mitsubishi, and having owned several Mitsubishi cars, I can say that those negative opinions are unfounded. You won't find a better car for the price.
A friend of mine had a company car that was a Mitsubishi Galant. After years of abuse by multiple shared drivers, it still just kept going and going and going. But for some reason Mitsubishi doesn't get the respect that Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, and Madza seem to get. I loved the 3000GT VR4 (and the sister Dodge Stealth RT) when I was driving a Supra. I also yearned for an EVO or a WRX. Then upgraded that yearning for a Tesla or a CTS-V. But now I've decided that the need for speed just isn't there. So the complete DVD set of The Fast and the Furious series is about all I need.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I've kind of outgrown the need for speed as well. For me, if I ever do go back to that "scene," I'll just get a dedicated beater of a track car. I have no interest in buying new and using it as my daily driver.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
I've kind of outgrown the need for speed as well. For me, if I ever do go back to that "scene," I'll just get a dedicated beater of a track car. I have no interest in buying new and using it as my daily driver.
My 2004 CTS with a wimpy 3.2L V6 and a 5 speed manual transmission is enough fun for me to drive with a little vim a vigor once in awhile. I do miss the stick shift using the volt as my daily driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts