GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know about everyone else but I would love to be able to mirror my phone to the in-dash display. Well, I found away to accomplish exactly what I want and add some really cool functionality to the Volt and to do so easily and at a fairly reasonable price. There is one small catch...I don't actually know that this solution will work. The solution works in the Camaro and the Malibu with MyLink. The manufacturer says it does not work on the Volt but they are out of South Korea so I am not sure they have had the opportunity to test on our car.

If this is of interest please contact the manufacturer. Below are the links detailing everything:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394922
http://indiwork.co.kr/cart/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1401951841

This would be bad ass if you ask me.

·
4,869 Posts
Won't work on the volt, you have no direct access to the display
So you've opened the dash to see if there's inputs available Henry?

·
4,869 Posts
Henry don't crush my dreams! The truth is always best but damn sometimes it hurts.
I wouldn't be so sure he is right Captain... Somms on the forum has a full Volt service manual, which may be able to indicate if there's the GVIF IN port (?) on the head unit. Not sure what model year Volt manual he has though, MyLink only started with 2013.

Or you could take apart the center stack fairly easily to see if it has the needed connections. :)

This page suggests it might have the connection you need, judging by the picture. But again, I don't know what year the pics are from exactly nor what connections are needed. I'm just keying in on the little square blue connector.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49513-How-To-Add-A-Factory-Navigation-System-W-Pictures

EDIT: It seems like the unit HAS to have the GVIF port, since that would go to the display/center screen in the Volt, before any mods. Unless the unit is integrated with the display itself, which seems unlikely. It may be worth a shot!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wouldn't be so sure he is right Captain... Somms on the forum has a full Volt service manual, which may be able to indicate if there's the GVIF IN port (?) on the head unit. Not sure what model year Volt manual he has though, MyLink only started with 2013.

Or you could take apart the center stack fairly easily to see if it has the needed connections. :)

This page suggests it might have the connection you need, judging by the picture. But again, I don't know what year the pics are from exactly nor what connections are needed. I'm just keying in on the little square blue connector.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49513-How-To-Add-A-Factory-Navigation-System-W-Pictures

EDIT: It seems like the unit HAS to have the GVIF port, since that would go to the display/center screen in the Volt, before any mods. Unless the unit is integrated with the display itself, which seems unlikely. It may be worth a shot!
Thanks. Hopefully some others will chime in. I am not sure if it is just a connector or if there are code differences that come in play. Like you I am pretty sure the connector is there. I just do not know what else might be needed. I also need to read up on what is involved in getting to the connector. I would hate to waste both money and time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mirror your Phone to your DASH

There are GVIF interfaces that switch with the mute button ...but they are Composite Out, so you have to get a composite to HDMI. Then you can just plug in a Google Chrome Stick, or Amazon Fire Stick, or an Intel Wireless HDMI. Just do a Google Search for GVIF Interface. www.GSMSERVER.COM. The issue you will find...is you cant TOUCH screen and change anything on your DASH Screen..you have to touch your Phone screen. http://gsmserver.com/item/car-video-interface/video-interface-for-chevrolet-with-mylink-system[/url] my 2012 does not have MyLink. Be aware there are laws that forbid watching videos. but mirroring your Audio is not any different than streaming from Spotify or other services..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are GVIF interfaces that switch with the mute button ...but they are Composite Out, so you have to get a composite to HDMI. Then you can just plug in a Google Chrome Stick, or Amazon Fire Stick, or an Intel Wireless HDMI. Just do a Google Search for GVIF Interface. www.GSMSERVER.COM. The issue you will find...is you cant TOUCH screen and change anything on your DASH Screen..you have to touch your Phone screen. http://gsmserver.com/item/car-video-interface/video-interface-for-chevrolet-with-mylink-system[/url] my 2012 does not have MyLink. Be aware there are laws that forbid watching videos. but mirroring your Audio is not any different than streaming from Spotify or other services..
I assume if the image ever got to the screen, it would be rather easy to add a secondary digitizer on the font of the screen to accept the touch commands and route them back to the smartphone. There are a number of devices that can be added to screens that allow for touch input. http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/optoelectronics/touch-screen-overlays/525002

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be aware there are laws that forbid watching videos.
I understand that watching videos is not legal but really I could not care less about that. Don't take my comment wrong I am not planning on watching videos while I drive. Nor am I saying it should be legal. There are more than enough distracted drivers out there without people trying to watch movies. I am simply saying the legality or illegality of functionality that may be enabled is not a factor in my decision process in this case.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking about going ahead and giving it a shot. I know that I will not be able to use the touch screen to control the phone in mirror mode. But the extra functionality and having up to Nav on the big screen is probably worth the money.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would be interested in seeing if this works and how it is connected so I'll egg you on to try it :)
For me at this point I'm not sure the functionality is worth $300+ but if it doesn't work you could always try to re-sell it to another Chevy owner.

This could also be used to install a rear camera without reprogramming the stock head unit, so +1 there. If it does work, I would be tempted to get this.

On a side note, I wonder if in the future we will see Android Auto built into devices like this for the GVIF interface...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Pff... what I want to know is if I can just tape the signal from the head unit going to the Bose amplifier into RCAs and plug into the input of an amplifier/processor without losing any functionality, totally bypassing the Bose POS amplifier that muddles up sound.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have found that using a DSP like Viper4Android can give you a totally different and improved sound for the stock Bose system. That applies the DSP to all sound sources like Pandora, mp3, flac etc... This does require a rooted Android phone though, not sure about DSPs on Iphones.

I came from a Civic with a 12" type R sub, alpine amps, and infinity speakers so I was initially a bit disappointed with the stock Bose but the DSP tweaks really improved it for me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be interested in seeing if this works and how it is connected so I'll egg you on to try it :)
For me at this point I'm not sure the functionality is worth $300+ but if it doesn't work you could always try to re-sell it to another Chevy owner.
LOL - I understand trying to make someone else the guinea pig :)

People have used this successfully on other GM cars with MyLink. Plus Nav2Go has an offering that they say will work on the Volt. Theirs uses composite video and not HDMI. The only concern is the below statement concerning sound. I would rather not have to run a wire to the phone or use an FM modulator.

The TVandNav2Go interface for GM is video only, you must use your factory aux in for sound if adding a video source like DVD or iPod video, or add an aux in or FM Modulator

·
Registered
79 Posts
From the diagram in the instructions, I am under the impression that the audio output from the HD link takes the HDMI audio and outputs to stereo to be connected to the aux stereo input on the car.

Diagram.jpg

I checked all the connector pinouts and compared them to the service manual, the volt uses the same harnesses as the Lacrosse & Camaro (44, 18, and 20pin).

The only thing I would be concerned about with this is the buttons on the dash not being mapped correctly. It looks like this box taps into the CAN wires to get what button is pressed on the dash and the box needs to be setup for each different vehicle.
HD-Link_buttons.jpg

I emailed the company and they said $268 USD for the box/wiring and $56 USD for shipping. Obviously they are non-native english speakers in South Korea but this product is really nice considering it integrates with the stock systems and has HDMI, rear, and front camera inputs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had an email discussion with the company who makes these and if the OEM buttons do not work, they have an external button to switch modes. They threw in the button with the module.

I figure I will give this a try since I do want a backup camera (Possibly front camera), and mirroring my phone or HDMI source to the screen is a bonus. I'll do a write up of the install in a separate thread once this is installed if anyone is interested :)

Total came to $324

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool. I am glad to see others pushing this. I have put my purchase on hold for another 2 months or so. I am looking forward to reaping the rewards of others experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone need help with the translation, I can help. Fluent Korean speaker.
Just bought 2013 volt base yesterday and this unit is first on my list to add to volt :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks juanikun, and welcome to volt ownership, I love mine. They were very helpful and responsive over email, I already received my unit yesterday and the manual seems pretty helpful. I will install it by the weekend.

My concern is the lack of being able to control my phone from the OEM touch screen. I did some research on that and came across this unit:
http://car-solutions.com/en/universal-touch-screen-controller-utc.php

I verified that our touch panel is a 4 wire unit but the problem with this is switching from the OEM touch controller to this for the android device. I may be able to make something work with an arduino to do the switching but it will take some time to make that work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been searching through the net and arduino forums and it seems fairly simple to create one to switch between outputs. Making it automated when you change the video source will be somewhat challenging since it will need some type of input signal to tell the board that it needs to switch it's output for the touch input. it sure seems fun project :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts