GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2017 Volt LT (both built and purchased in 6/17) for 3 months now. I have about 2500 miles on it. I've got two problems and two issues that I'd classify as "annoyances." 3 out of 4 of these issues are ones I've read about here.

1. Cruise Control will not set consistently. Pulling up the brake pedal with my foot will usually resolve the issue temporarily, but a couple of times I've not been able to get it to work without power cycling the car.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?284714-Intermittent-cruise-control-problems
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?296762-Cruise-control
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?280265-2017-Cruise-Control-Brake-pedal-issue

2. Squeaking noise coming from (rear?) brakes when rapidly depressing the brake pedal fully, as well as when releasing the pedal and releasing the parking brake.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?297306-Brake-System-Issue

3. Exhaust popping/afterfires when the engine starts while accelerating from a stop in extended range mode

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...r-when-ICE-kicks-in-sometimes-(25-of-the-time).
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ming-from-rear-passenger-side-2016-Chevy-Volt

4. Rattling noise coming from the hatch area. I believe this is coming from the cover for the EVSE storage area, which appears to be warped somewhat as well as just being flimsy and not having any sort of flexible gasket to prevent the plastic-on-plastic rattle.

None of these are problems that I need an immediate resolution to. And I don't see comments suggesting that there are solutions yet to the first 3 issues that have consistently worked for people. I'm not really interested in having the car spend days at the dealer while they poke around. I'm a lot more inclined to take it in when there are TSBs available that solve the problems. But if I don't take it in at all, GM doesn't know that one more Volt is having these issues, which could provide faster solutions to them or at the very least give them one more example to work from in developing them. What would you do?

To rant a bit, I can't say I'm overly thrilled by the level of quality on display here. This is the most expensive car I've owned by $10k+ and it's also the only one with any issues after such a short time and mileage. I also had a dash panel I had to snap together because it wasn't quite in place from the factory. Considering the car's been in production now for two years, I'd have thought that all of the common issues would have been sorted out.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I can't help you with the squeak or the exhaust popping sounds, but the cruise control issue is a faulty or misaligned brake pedal position sensor. That should be an easy fix for your dealership.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your waiting for a TSB, here it is:

#16-NA-147: Brake Pedal Squeak Noise Heard When Applying and Releasing Brake Pedal/Cruise Control Inoperative or Disengaged - (May 16, 2017)

They may have to order a retainer clip to fix this issue.

#PIP5380: Chevrolet Volt rough running at start up, smoke from exhaust and/or knock noise - (Feb 22, 2016)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
With mpmoore's reference numbers, you should be able to get at least some of your list cleared. I would get it in as soon as possible. They will most likely give you a loaner, so the inconvenience is minimized. The sooner you get the items fixed, the sooner you can forget about them and enjoy your new car the way you deserve to.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
To rant a bit, I can't say I'm overly thrilled by the level of quality on display here. This is the most expensive car I've owned by $10k+ and it's also the only one with any issues after such a short time and mileage. I also had a dash panel I had to snap together because it wasn't quite in place from the factory. Considering the car's been in production now for two years, I'd have thought that all of the common issues would have been sorted out.
First GM vehicle? That’s what they do best. Disappointed customers.

·
Registered
907 Posts
4. Rattling noise coming from the hatch area. I believe this is coming from the cover for the EVSE storage area, which appears to be warped somewhat as well as just being flimsy and not having any sort of flexible gasket to prevent the plastic-on-plastic rattle.
I haven't experienced 1, 2 or 3, but 4 for me was a combination of:

1. EVSE storage cover loose and bumping against the car,
2. Loose tire air pump, and
3. Loose rubber bumpers between the hatch and the car.

I put a bunch of weatherstripping on the EVSE storage cover, tightened the mechanism holding the air pump in place, and adjusted the rubber bumpers (easy to do - just twist them so they move upwards). It took a while to figure out that there were actually multiple sources of what I thought was just one rattle, but now everything is quiet.

·
Registered
420 Posts
#4: EVSE rear hatch storage cover. Car is only 12 days old and this is a problem. Cannot get it to properly close and it rattles on a bumpy road. I'm taking it in to the dealer when I have time but the weatherstripping might be a good idea. Any others with a storage cover piece that doesn't close properly?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Sadly I have to agree with you. The quality of this car overall is really lacking. It's a nice car and a great concept, but GM is just not hitting on all cylinders (no pun intended). And to think you are having this experience even having come from less expensive cars. That's sad. I've gotten some of my annoyances fixed, and by and large enjoy my car, but nothing spoils that new car feeling more than a a bunch of annoying problems, or having your car sit at the dealer for days on end.

GM...listen up!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts

I put a bunch of weatherstripping on the EVSE storage cover, tightened the mechanism holding the air pump in place, and adjusted the rubber bumpers (easy to do - just twist them so they move upwards). It took a while to figure out that there were actually multiple sources of what I thought was just one rattle, but now everything is quiet.
I'll take a look at these this weekend. I noticed the other afternoon that my car has had something come loose in the back and it rattles. It wasn't there before so I don't think it's an issue with the car per-se, just something in or under the cargo area bouncing around.

Oh, and before anyone takes the car in for a rattle, check under the seats for metallic objects and save yourself the trouble and embarrassment when the dealer tech pulls out a soda can. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My major issue is that the "Parking Brake needs servicing" message! When it comes on, cannot use my ACC. The problem is that this message is intermittent. If I turn the car off after I drove it for a while, then the message disappears. So there is no way that the dealer would be able to see it whenever it comes on as it disappears whenever I get to the dealer. But it is super annoying not to have the ACC when that message comes up!

·
Registered
307 Posts
#17-NA-146: Service Parking Brake Message Displayed on Driver Information Center (DIC) - DTCs C1138, C1148, C114C, C1586, C1587, C1588 Set - (Apr 27, 2017)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I'll take a look at these this weekend. I noticed the other afternoon that my car has had something come loose in the back and it rattles. It wasn't there before so I don't think it's an issue with the car per-se, just something in or under the cargo area bouncing around.
Under the cargo area could be the grommet that holds the exhaust up -- rattles constantly if it's loose. It's right under the rear passenger seat. It's an easy fix to put it back on yourself it it's still hanging there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your waiting for a TSB, here it is:

#16-NA-147: Brake Pedal Squeak Noise Heard When Applying and Releasing Brake Pedal/Cruise Control Inoperative or Disengaged - (May 16, 2017)

They may have to order a retainer clip to fix this issue.

#PIP5380: Chevrolet Volt rough running at start up, smoke from exhaust and/or knock noise - (Feb 22, 2016)
That's really helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look at all of those as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have to wonder what causes so many quality problems to appear long after initial production starts. Ongoing cost cutting? What?
When my leased Gen 1 ended in October '15 I had to order my '16 right after initial production began. Uh, oh... There was even a shipping hold for a few days for an unknown problem, and I got worried. But, no rattles, no frayed edges, no leaks, no wind whistles, thumps, nothing. (OK, the chuggle was corrected early in my ownership) This car remains essentially perfect as it approaches 30K mi.
note: in spite of my rave reviews, no one I know who has ridden in or driven my car has any interest in owning a Chevrolet. Recovery from lousy cars is a very long process, and the horror stories about dealer disinterest don't help.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
<SNiP> This car remains essentially perfect as it approaches 30K mi.
note: in spite of my rave reviews, no one I know who has ridden in or driven my car has any interest in owning a Chevrolet. <SNIP>.
To what do you attribute the lack of interest in owning a Chevrolet, then, if the car is perfect and you are giving it rave reviews?

·
Registered
926 Posts
3. Exhaust popping/afterfires when the engine starts while accelerating from a stop in extended range mode
For #3, I can't help but maybe give a little hope. Another forum member who reported the issue recently received an answer other than "oh, that's normal": "we're aware of the problem and working on a repair". All I can ask is bring it to the attention of your dealer and have them open a TAC with GM engineer. Reproducing the problem with the dealer tech will do wonders in getting them on your side as a witness. I recommend finding a multi level (the more the better) parking garage near your dealer and you can accelerate up levels (from 0mph to 20mph, over and over) or in a circle on the most empty level you can find. This way, the tech him/herself can reproduce and isolate themselves using "chassis ears".

Of course, maybe download the videos in my signature and show them to your tech so they know what to look for. Make sure you do this in 60F and up temps and get your ICE to operating temps (190F+).

·
Registered
907 Posts
...so many quality problems. ... Recovery from lousy cars is a very long process
Agree, gen 1 Volt is the first GM I've owned (and I bought my first new car in 1981). I've been impressed (with my 2014), but understand the reluctance of others to trust GM. And YES, reading the issues with gen 2 has been a factor in NOT buying it. While gen 2 has some nice drivability features I like (I have driven it), I find that I don't trust buying it. It IS a primarily a cost reduction after all.

I'm trying hard to support GM EVs, and recently bought my wife a Bolt, but not sure I can go with gen 2 Volt. I need something more.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a MY16 Volt with 25k miles and haven't had a single issue out of it. I wonder what happened between that short model run of 16's and the full production run of 17's that caused so many QA/QC issues. A great bulk of the issues on the forum for the gen 2 seem to be 17's. I'm sure some of that is just because of the volume, there are many more 17's than 16's but still, seems like something happened during the transition between model years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts