GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2017 LT with about 1100 miles on it.

What is the minimum number of miles that I should expect to see after a full charge?

I've seen 57 as a high, but the last couple of days it's been pegged at 50 miles before driving.

Is this tied to the type of driving you do?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

What is the minimum number of miles that I should expect to see after a full charge?

I've seen 57 as a high, but the last couple of days it's been pegged at 50 miles before driving.

Yes. It is an estimate based on recent travel including terrain, temperature, tire pressure, and driving style including speed and how heavy you are on the accelerator and decelerator.

KNS

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
The minimum? I guess if you really tried, you could start the car, park it, crank the heat to max, fans to max, seat warmers to max, headlights on, and sit there getting 0 miles then leave when the battery is drained. eventually the car might report 0 miles. Anyone up to the challenge. I'd like to see Ari c do it. He owns every range record except for this one.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Don't freak out but it can actually decrease by a significant amount under other then ideal driving conditions. While I average 45+ with my Gen 1 Volt 9 months of the of the year, I have seen it drop as low as 24 miles in the winter. Almost in half from ideal weather/driving conditions.

The key is no matter how many miles it displays I still get and can use the same number of kW's from the battery.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I've seen under 40 miles most of winter.

My commute (98% highway to depletion) averaged about 40 miles per charge.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
On the gen 2 you have about 14.1 kWh to use. how ever many mi/kWh is your range. Stay below 50 mph to get higher than advertised range. I don't look at the estimate very much due to a lot of elevation change and varying traffic patterns from morning to evening. The energy screen is the more informative display.

·
Registered
902 Posts
On my 2013 Volt, I spent the winter with range estimate fully-charged around 34 miles; in summer, I am getting range estimates about 43 miles on highway miles with typically 500-foot to 1,000-foot elevation changes. I go through 8 KwH per 30 miles, including losses due to charging inefficiencies.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
On my 2013 Volt, I spent the winter with range estimate fully-charged around 34 miles; in summer, I am getting range estimates about 43 miles on highway miles with typically 500-foot to 1,000-foot elevation changes. I go through 8 KwH per 30 miles, including losses due to charging inefficiencies.
That's nothing. During snowageddon 1 and 2 I saw 24-26 miles of EV range.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The minimum? I guess if you really tried, you could start the car, park it, crank the heat to max, fans to max, seat warmers to max, headlights on, and sit there getting 0 miles then leave when the battery is drained. eventually the car might report 0 miles. Anyone up to the challenge. I'd like to see Ari c do it. He owns every range record except for this one.
Or rig up a Volt to shunt loaded boxcars around a railway switchyard... 4 miles to a charge?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Southern California, 70 degree weather. I drove my Volt ~80 MPH for about 25 miles on the freeway. Plus about 5 miles of local. The battery was pretty much drained. Next full charge, the miles showed 42.

When I drive gently, the highest that I have seen it is 63.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'd like to see Ari c do it. He owns every range record except for this one.
I will leave this to someone else. It would mess up my monthly stats that I keep track of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts