GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2012 Volt for about two weeks (used with 68K on the ODO)
and after starting it up this morning after getting an overnight charge, the "electric miles to go"meter read 50 miles.
It's never read more that 40 electric miles available in the two weeks I've owned it after daily charges from zero to full charge. Strangely enough, it read 34 miles when I first started it, then the meter incremented up to 50 electric miles in less than a minute while still parked. I drove it and watched the miles meter. It didn't go down for at least the first 12 miles of driving as it usually does. Then, it started to drop more rapidly than usual. The only thing I did differently was to give it a partial charge the evening before on a Volta 240 v free charger at a shopping center.
Has anyone seen this before? Just an anomaly?

·
8,680 Posts
and after starting it up this morning after getting an overnight charge, the "electric miles to go"meter read 50 miles.
It's never read more that 40 electric miles available in the two weeks I've owned it after daily charges from zero to full charge. Strangely enough, it read 34 miles when I first started it, then the meter incremented up to 50 electric miles in less than a minute while still parked. I drove it and watched the miles meter. It didn't go down for at least the first 12 miles of driving as it usually does. Then, it started to drop more rapidly than usual. The only thing I did differently was to give it a partial charge the evening before on a Volta 240 v free charger at a shopping center.
Some variation of this is probably the most common thread started by new members around here, and no amount of stickies or FAQ seem to prevent it.

Yes, it's perfectly normal. What your need to understand is that in a GM car, a mile on the display isn't related to a fixed amount of energy. The car adjusts its predicted range based on your driving history, with Fourier transform analysis that includes data from a couple weeks worth of driving.

You'll see it go up in the spring and fall and down in the summer and winter, and it changes based on how and where you drive as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Check out the section for newcomers under "General". Read all the FAQ's then come back if something still makes no sense.

·
Registered
117 Posts
saghost:
I understand your analysis of how the "gom" predicts miles. I don't think what the OP is asking is related. How could the "gom" go from 34 to 50 within a few seconds after starting, when the vehicle hasn't moved? How would "...a couple weeks worth of driving..." figure into this incident, especially since the OP states he never saw higher than 40m after a full charge.

My start-up charge on my (still new to me) ELR ranges from 35 to 40, almost always 37, but has never spontaneously zoomed to a higher level.

·
8,680 Posts
saghost:
I understand your analysis of how the "gom" predicts miles. I don't think what the OP is asking is related. How could the "gom" go from 34 to 50 within a few seconds after starting, when the vehicle hasn't moved? How would "...a couple weeks worth of driving..." figure into this incident, especially since the OP states he never saw higher than 40m after a full charge.

My start-up charge on my (still new to me) ELR ranges from 35 to 40, almost always 37, but has never spontaneously zoomed to a higher level.
It's a larger jump than normal, but I've often seen the estimate change noticeably when the car is started or stopped. Not 100% sure why. 50 is also the high limit for a 2012, not sure if that's relevant or not.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I wouldn't say it's "normal" but I wouldn't be concerned about it if everything else functions normally. Let us know what happens tomorrow after another full charge.
Occasionally the computer has a hiccup.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
My 2013 does something similar. It starts at 66-67 Km. and by the time I reach town (8-9 Km) it will read 69 Km. driving in low with some ups and downs at about 64 Kph. (divide by 2 for easy approx. miles). Starting and stopping the car a few times doing errands (getting supplies) it will drop down. Typically by the time I reach home I will have used 3.5 to 4.0 Kw. Interesting that the drive into town raises the battery distance while the drive back (the same or similar route) takes it down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts