GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting some 17” Xi3s on my stock wheels. What do you guys recommend setting the pressures at? The tire place is going to set them at stock 39psi. I thought that sounded a little high. Was also concerned if setting them too low is going to constantly set off a low tire pressure warning. Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just follow the pressures on the door jamb. Those had quite a bit of work go into figuring them out!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Just follow the pressures on the door jamb. Those had quite a bit of work go into figuring them out!
I though that the tire pressure recommendations on the door jamb only applied to the OE A/S tires. If you switch to winter tires shouldn't you follow the winter/snow tire manufacturer's recommended tire pressure?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unless they have a chart with the pressures for each car they could possibly fit, the answer is “no”. In fact, I would think that, if anything, a slightly lower pressure might be appropriate for use in snowy/icy conditions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We’ve been running ours at 43 psi which has given us pretty good stopping distances on the ice. The maximum psi on the sidewalls is 50 and I felt that was a good compromise.

My understanding about the door jamb number is the same as jcanoe’s. I think the psi on the door is meant for The OEM tires. For example, the LLR Michelins that come new with the Volt have a max psi of 44psi, whereas the max psi on the Blizzak WS80 tires is 36 psi.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
One of the major factors affecting the desired tire pressure is the the size of the tire's contact patch. If the new tires are the same tread width and the same overall outside diameter, then the pressure requirement should be similar to the original OEM tires. Some people use less pressure on winter tires to increase the contact patch on the theory that can increase traction on some wintry surfaces, which it probably does in some specific conditions, but the trade off is increased sidewall flex and uneven wear, which is not great for the tire's longevity.

The TPMS should alert you at around 25% below the placard pressure.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Same pressure as OEM should work. Around here, if the roads are slushy, some people recommend to run the pressures on the high side, the theory being they would better cut thru the slush. If it's colder, and the roads are covered in packed snow, then some like to run pressures lower, as it gives a larger footprint and allows the tire to deform more to grip. Of course, you should drive slower under those conditions. I find it too fussy, to adjust pressures, but... , a strategy that sort of follows that idea is to set your pressure high for 35 degrees, that's your slushy condition, potentially, and when the temp drops, for compact snow, then your tire temp naturally drops. Of course, it might only be 2-3lbs less at 15 degrees.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have Blizzaks and run them between 39-41 and that's worked fine for me. Higher pressure helps minimize the hit that my range takes from the winter tires and electric heating. I'm still able to squeak 32-35 miles out of my Gen 1 on most winter days, depending on how much I use the heat. As all of us with winter tires know, it's worth the decrease range for the safety and traction!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts