Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Futile debate, I know.. I always thought I would go with X-ICE, but the shop talked me into the Blizzak, Now I'm reading reviews and wondering.. Both tires are said to be "the best"

What Did you buy? Do you like them?

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Blizzak WS 80's on both my Volt and my Bolt. Before that, on my Volvo. Not having the same two cars with, one with Blizzak on the other with with X-Ice, it's not possible for me to compare. My guess is they are comparable. As a winter tire, they will both be better in cold weather on dry, wet or snow covered pavement than 3-season tires (aka all season).

Here's a recent Road & Track article: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25238363/winter-tire-guide/

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok Futile debate, I know.. I always thought I would go with X-ICE, but the shop talked me into the Blizzak, Now I'm reading reviews and wondering.. Both tires are said to be "the best"

What Did you buy? Do you like them?
Hi,

I went with the Michelin X-Ice XI3 and I could not be happier with them. I have had several brands of winter tires over the years (General, Firestone, Pirelli, Gislaved) on different vehicles and FWIW I think the Michelins are really good in the snow and ice, well-behaved handling wise and pretty quiet too. The Michelin's are supposed to be Green-X rated (Michelin's Low Rolling Resistance rating) which was something that appealed to me in my winter tire. My dealer happened to have the lowest price around on the Michelins too so that was nice.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Bridgestone or the Michelin - both excellent choices.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hankook Winter i-Pike RS (W419). We just got our new 2018 Volt LT yesterday--yay!! But I've had Hankooks before on other cars, and I've had many sets of General Altimax Arctics, which I think are very similar if not identical. They've always performed wonderfully.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Uniroyal tiger paws with studs on their own custom wheels. I wait till the weather actually gets bad before I put them on, and take them back off when the roads clear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had WS-80's on a Subaru SVX awd and they worked great. I have the ICE-x on my Volt during the winter. The WS-80's are louder and have more rolling resistance. I prefer the ICE-x myself.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have the Xice in a 16" size and 10mm narrower than the stock 17" Volt tires. I'm very happy with them but had Blizzaks on a previous car and liked them too.

I have Goodyear UltraGrip Ice snow tires on my Cruze, and they also work quite well. Even an average snow tire blows away All Seasons in the snow and ice.

Basically you can't go wrong either way, IMHO. TireRack has a video comparison on their website and the Xice and Blizzaks came out pretty close, and were both better than the other two they compared.

As I recall, the Blizzaks were slightly better on snow and ice, while the Michelins handled slightly better on cold dry pavement.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Picked up Goodyear Ultragrip ICE WRT's recently and now awaiting the white stuff. The deal was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't lose too much sleep over this one; either one will provide vastly superior winter traction versus all-seasons!

·
Registered
897 Posts
There are Nokian Hakkapeliitta's and everything else...

The Nokian's make ice feel like dry pavement and make my Blizzaks (on another car) feel like junk.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ure-final-scoring-and-performance-data-page-3
That's interesting. I had Hakkapellitta's on my old '85 Volvo 244, for many a winter and thought they were excellent but rather squirmy on dry pavement. Clearly they have developed that out of the tire since, based on the review.

Perhaps I will consider these next time around, although at least the Xice on our Volt, came in 2nd and at a much cheaper price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Hakkapelitta's are really noisy on dry pavement but I'd expect anything would be. I didn't have any issues with them before the snow started falling. If anything, they felt like they had better grip than the Eco tires, but I would expect any non-Eco tire would.

·
Registered
11 Posts
X-Ice 3 here on Volt, superb handling on dry, not very loud but not so great on ice and snow. I also have Blizzak on my 6 seater, louder than Michelin but better traction on slippery condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts