GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 'screwed' a couple days ago by a 3/8"x2" sheet metal screw in the left rear (so to speak). 1" from the shoulder on a Goodyear Assurance so I decided to rid myself of the agonizing ride that I was not happy with on the '12 volt I picked up a couple weeks ago so I rolled in on a set of Michelin Premier A/S 215/55/17's (665.00 out the door plus $70 gift card from Michelin).

Seriously. On the GY Assurance, I could tell if the ant I ran over was male or female and could hear its last words. Worse than a track car on slicks. The car had a couple rattles (chased one down- threaded hatch bump stops to blame) and the ride was generally akin to the kid's red Radio Flyer wagon with plastic wheels on the Paris-Roubaix.

Initial impression driving out of the shop was the feeling that all four tires were low...but they weren't (36 lbs all the way around). Freeway noise down considerably. Makes me wish I ran my Smoothometer and dB apps to validate what my butt and ears were telling me. Other rattle that was coming from the front left is now gone. How sweet is that?

We'll see what the future brings on these skins but this is easily the best improvement a wallet can make IMO.

I'll see what they do to range. Expecting the initial hit for the first month but I'd even gladly forego a couple miles for the reduced noise, smoother ride and non-frayed nerves.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Glad you like the A/S's.

I switched to the Michelin Primacy MXV4's last year and was disappointed by the barely-noticeable improvement in noise and ride quality. But the hit on efficiency was WAY bigger than I ever imagined (15-20%), even though the MXV4's got an "Excellent" rating from CR for rolling resistance.

I've regretted the switch ever since.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
36 PSI is low, they should be set to 38 PSI COLD. Many like myself run the tires at 40 PSI COLD.

But I have no doubt the Michelin's are vastly superior to the GY's. Like many I'll be interested in your "range". I suspect you will take a bit of a hit on range.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
826 Posts
I would also suggest higher pressure. Ecopia 422+ might have been a "best of both worlds" option (performance/range). It's well-reviewed by Volt owners that have gone with them to replace the Goodyears.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have had the Premiers since June...(about 5 thousand miles on them)...I really like them too....but ....you WILL take a hit on range...I dropped about 5 miles per charge wen I went to them.....and since this is a long life tread tire....it still hasn't come back....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I put the same Michele Premier A/S tires on about a month ago and experienced the same thing .. super quite and handles sooooo much better. Originally, I think I lost 3 or 4 miles of range. I have put about 2,000 miles on them so far and my range now is almost what it was before putting them on. Maybe down a mile or so. Loving the ride even more since putting these on !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now if I can just figure out how to reset the tpms....looks like a lost cause in a '12 w/o 'the tool'....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is a thread where they discussed resetting without the tool. I am not sure if it works because I have the tool.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...TPMS-after-tire-rotation&highlight=reset+tmps

ALSO, I must be doing something wrong. After putting over 2000 miles on the new Mich Prem A/s, my EV miles are only a mile or so less than before. Yesterday (48 degrees) I preconditioned MYVOLT, left the heat on for the first 2 EV miles, then did not use heat for the remainder of my commute. I was on my last EV mile when I pulled into work. Almost 40 miles and no gas. Before installing my new tires I might have had an extra mile or two left. I don't know if it's the roads or what.
Since buying MYVOLT, I changed my route to work from mostly highway (65mph) , to mostly a country road 45 mph with a couple stop signs. It takes an extra 5 minutes but gets the most out of EV miles. Maybe the slower speed is keeping my EV miles ???
When cold, my tire pressure is 38 psi, during the drive it increases to 39-40 psi.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Got 'screwed' a couple days ago by a 3/8"x2" sheet metal screw in the left rear (so to speak). 1" from the shoulder on a Goodyear Assurance so I decided to rid myself of the agonizing ride that I was not happy with on the '12 volt I picked up a couple weeks ago so I rolled in on a set of Michelin Premier A/S 215/55/17's (665.00 out the door plus $70 gift card from Michelin).

Seriously. On the GY Assurance, I could tell if the ant I ran over was male or female and could hear its last words. Worse than a track car on slicks. The car had a couple rattles (chased one down- threaded hatch bump stops to blame) and the ride was generally akin to the kid's red Radio Flyer wagon with plastic wheels on the Paris-Roubaix.

Initial impression driving out of the shop was the feeling that all four tires were low...but they weren't (36 lbs all the way around). Freeway noise down considerably. Makes me wish I ran my Smoothometer and dB apps to validate what my butt and ears were telling me. Other rattle that was coming from the front left is now gone. How sweet is that?

We'll see what the future brings on these skins but this is easily the best improvement a wallet can make IMO.

I'll see what they do to range. Expecting the initial hit for the first month but I'd even gladly forego a couple miles for the reduced noise, smoother ride and non-frayed nerves.
How many miles were on your Assurance tires when you switched?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I installed Premier A/S tires about 2 months ago, but opted for the 235-50/17 size, which is the same diameter, but about an inch wider. I had a big time hit in EV range and still haven't got it back. With highs around 30's these days I know I'm going to take a hit, but my range is usually about 28 miles after a full charge. Other than that, I love them. They are so sticky there's no way I can spin them, even high speed cornering.

·
Registered
907 Posts
colchiro, did you keep the original rims? 17x7" I was considering that same size tire. But if I were to change the rims, would probably go up to 18x8" w/235-45/18. And those available tires would no doubt really kill the range!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I installed Premier A/S tires about 2 months ago, but opted for the 235-50/17 size, which is the same diameter, but about an inch wider. I had a big time hit in EV range and still haven't got it back. With highs around 30's these days I know I'm going to take a hit, but my range is usually about 28 miles after a full charge. Other than that, I love them. They are so sticky there's no way I can spin them, even high speed cornering.
Exactly what I went with....and still haven't gotten it back (5k miles)....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I went with the stock size P 215/55 R 17 Mich Prem A/S. I guess that is why I am not losing the EV miles you guys are. I am very happy with how MYVOLT rides and handles on the road; plus, I am happy to drive my regular commute on all EV miles (except extreme cold days - I like heat).

·
Registered
493 Posts
I am totally okay with it......just will be eyeballing it for a while......and although I am sure the decreased range is from the new tires and the colder weather we are having now.....I just want to make sure it isn't any kind of battery degradation creeping up on me.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How many miles were on your Assurance tires when you switched?[/QUOTE]

Not sure- was a second set of tires on a 45k mile volt. Estim prob 10-15 k miles.

·
Registered
493 Posts
^^^^Not sure who your question was directed towards....but I had 32k when I switched them out and they still had 6/32" of tread left.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I replaced the Goodyear tires on my 2015 Volt at 3,000 miles due to a blow out for no apparent reason. The Michelin Premier 215 replacements transformed the Volt into a better driving car. Not sure road noise is any quieter but way more fun to drive. Suffered range loss of over 10% for the first 1,000 miles on the Premier 215s. At 1,200 miles the Premier's don't feel as sticky when you let off the accelerator and can coast with more ease. So I am almost back to "normal" range but cooler seasonal temps set in and will have to wait until warmer weather for final range evaluation . Added air to the Michelin's when new to bring the tire pressure to 40 psi and have not had to add any air since (6 weeks). I am delighted in the Michelin Premier's though modestly pricey but hopefully much more reliable tire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I replaced 2 of the Goodyear Assurance tires back in August because the previous owner had only replaced the other two before I bought the car. I've not had any blow-outs or premature cuts on the tires so far (lucky??). I've driven over 4K miles with these tires and recently went on a 700 mile weekend trip. So far I don't find these tires to be excessively noisy or make my car ride badly. I definitely will try the Michelin A/S per everyone's good experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reporting back 4 months after installing Premier A/S 215 on my '15 Volt. Great tires and only had to add air once due to seasonal temperature changes. After some almost 70 deg F afternoons range is back to near normal. I can make my 42.5 mile daily heavy commute with a single charge and 3-4 mile reserve on the guess-o-meter (40 psi tire pressure). Best I ever got with the Goodyears indicated 7 miles of reserve when returning home but this was in August/ Sept and much warmer temps. Handling is very good with the Premier A/S and do well in rain. My only dig is I don't think they are especially quiet a highway speeds but my '15 Volt is not all that quiet to outside noise standing still.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Michelin premier A/S 215 comes in H and V ratings. Note that if you want the lowest rolling resistance, pick the H rated tire. The V rated tire has higher rolling resistance as reported by Consumer Reports.

I tried the Premier V rated tires on my wife's Prius v wagon. They are very, very quiet on ashphalt but more noisy than normal on concrete and grooved roadways. They tend to whine on those surfaces with a speed related frequency. There was a big mileage hit also but due to the noisy performance on concrete, I changed them out after only a few weeks to Pirelli Cinturato P7's.

The Pirellis made a huge positive difference in road noise and are very quiet on all surfaces unlike the Premiers. They also have excellent rolling resistance as the mileage hit was much less than the Premiers when new. I am still breaking in the Cinturatos so I have yet to get a good comparison of the stabilized fuel efficiency over the OEM Toyo tires. The Premier and the Cinturato are rated at the top for all season tires. The Premiers have a slight advantage in wet traction. I will probably pick the Cinturatos for my Volt next year based on my experience with both tires so far.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts