GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've ever lost a tyre to side wall damage - yes that is the Australian spelling. Now understand previous Australian Volt owners upset by them when used in bussiness applications.
Extremely prone to both punctures and very fragile side walls.
My only complaint has been the tyres need harder compound on the edges, because with acceleration and regenerative braking even with higher inflation the edge wear is unbelievable.
Otherwise happy with their rolling resistance vs grip. But the soft construction is a problem.
Wish manufactures would make EV tyres in more durable grades and rate their low rolling resistance vs grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
All passenger car sidewalls are thin line that.. You happened to catch it just right to pinch it probably against the rim and boom. Go to a tire store and feel the thickness of any passenger Tire sidewall. You need at least an AT tire to get some sidewall strength. But then u get a rougher ride.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found Bridgestone Ecopia (Another Silica type tyre) for my other car have stronger sidewalls and they are weak compared to OEM ones.
These Michelin's on the Volt are extra soft by my rough comparison.
So yes agree great ride vs toughness.
When doing temporary plugs on tread punctures (Don't use gel as no one wants to clean it lol!)
I found these are super easy to file and push in plugs compared to normal ones.

Rim not touched just arc'd the tyre reversing by accident into the tyre wall.
Yes is my fault as I'm especially careful with the Volt not to curb the rim ever, but this time I missed judged so yeah....

The good news is on the Holden Volt after I put one of my spare Wheels on it was reading 0Kpa pressure which worried me, but in less than 10 minutes of driving it self registered and started displaying the correct pressure.

So we are lucky here .... as the USA ones need special procedures to relearn the TPMS vs the Australian Volt non of the USA procedures work on it, but it does self learn.
Must be something to do with the law as to why in the world GM implemented different flavours of TPMS on the Volts.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There have been many reports of sidewall blowouts, tread punctures, and uneven tread wear at the edges with these tires in the forum over the years. My experience also matches this. I am glad to have replaced mine with a different kind. Terrible to be driving on unreliable tires, IMO.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Is it the change in sidewalls from earlier designs or the fact that the tire have gone from a 70 series to 60 series (and lower) giving less of a cushion requiring higher tire pressures compounded by a heavier car (3800 lbs. vs. 2500 lbs).

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the Gen 1 OEM tire sidewall problem was with Goodyears?
For Australia they only fitted the premium Michelin EV Energy X type, probably specified by Holden for a better quieter ride, but they failed to check durability as Australian roads can be really rough on them.
I'm sure if I ran the min air pressure suggested I would have killed all x4 by now, higher pressure has prolonged their life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts