GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Usual story: engine compartment whine, changes with speed, grinding nature...

The dealership took care of it in only 2 days, under warranty, gave me a free loaner car (2014 Malibu). The only thing they didn't do was charge my battery before pickup. It was great service, not really all that inconvenient either.

How do I know it was MGA? Because at about 40MPH the grinding noise went away. I drove the car as soon as I heard the noise to the dealership via a major road. It happened. They also flushed the ATF while in there so I may not need that done at exactly 120K? We'll see. :)

Love my Volt, seriously thinking about a 2016 upgrade since I am not on a lease. Among other reasons is I know have 2014 myLink envy from using it in the Malibu for a few days. The screen is so much crisper, brighter, and the response to commands is fast! I paired my Android phone (Nexus 5, lollipop) and it connects almost instantly after starting the vehicle. No auto-playing my podcasts when the bluetooth isn't even selected (I hate that). and it is just fast. So there it is, a loaner car did it's job!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry you had the problem but great you were so mellow about it. The most expensive part may be the MyLink envy.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Curious, how many miles? I'm up to 29,000 on my '13 and so far no signs of it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The data we have suggest this failure is (was) either an infant mortality issue due to a relatively rare manufacturing process problem (bearing alignment?), or a much rarer issue that crops up more-or-less independent of mileage. No data that I am aware of supports any notion that high-mileage Volts are more susceptible to bearing failure.

I'm not sure if this high-mileage hypothesis is where you were heading, but I did want to make the observation as I have tracked the bearing failure very closely over several years.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
44,800 miles! (Sorry, I meant to include that in the original post.)
66% EV, Majority highway miles, drive in L almost all the time.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
How do I know it was MGA? Because at about 40MPH the grinding noise went away.
There have been zero instances of any bearing on MGA having fialed. What is the part number of the replacement bearing?
(from your work order)
WopOnTour

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part #24259842 (Bearing)

Sorry for the delay WOP, life got in the way. :)

I thought MGA was the primary drive motor for low speed driving. MGB would normally be either in use as the genset, or come into play (interestingly) in CS mode. I was in both CD & CS modes and the noise didn't change behavior. Love to know more about the "tranny" in this case!

But here is the invoice: Volt_bearing_service2.jpg

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

I thought MGA was the primary drive motor for low speed driving. MGB would normally be either in use as the genset, or come into play (interestingly) in CS mode. I was in both CD & CS modes and the noise didn't change behavior. Love to know more about the "tranny" in this case!

But here is the invoice: View attachment 66458
MGB is the main drive motor, MGA is the smaller one attached to the ICE.
Here is a great video of how it works.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We just had a bearing replaced on our '13 this week. The part number listed is13590795 with "Bearing 6.311" in the description column. Which bearing would that be? MGA, MGB, or something else entirely? The text described it as a "L/F HUB ASSY."

Replaced along with the bearing was speed sensor, part number 13412631 described as "Sensor 4.710."

We also had the Steering Module programming done; which it was there for last month, but they couldn't drive it far enough to reproduce the symptoms.

The current mileage is 35.7K miles. We rarely drive in L. About the only times are during mountain driving duing road trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Does anyone know which part of the manufacturer warranty this failure is covered under? Is it the standard 36,000 miles or is it the longer drive-train warranty? I'm thinking of buying a used Volt when my lease is up and this issue sounds like it could be expensive if it was out of warranty.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

But here is the invoice: View attachment 66458
Thanks for posting the work order.
I can confirm that bearing PN# 24259842 is for MGB (commonly referred to in the parts system as the drive motor)
This is clearly an identical failure as the others as per the bulletin
WOT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts