GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 2013 is at 4yrs and 78K mi, and the one time I got that message turned out to mean I needed a top off of the traction battery coolant. Dealer did it for free. So may not be scary at all..

There should be an actual diagnostic code which will tell you more. Onstar can give it to you, or I use a $15 bluetooth OBDII dongle and the Torque app on Android to read them. There are probably other ways to get the code. ;)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Look down below (if using full web version) at similar threads, could be a lot of stuff.
^^THIS^^ Lots of info on here about this potential issue.

Very common problem actually. You Volt "thinks" the battery coolant is low. Perhaps it is. OR perhaps there is something wrong with the coolant level sensor or it's wiring.

The reservoir in the center of the underhood area SHOULD NOT be as low as shown in the photo below or a DTC will set. Unfortunately only a dealer can clear this DTC and in some cases HPCM2 may need to be reprogrammed with an "update" in order to re-instate charging.

The normal coolant level is to the top of that black label. The Volt requires a special premix coolant so don't put anything else in there (also see threads below)

WOT

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I get this same error message on my 2012 and check engine light. Will not charge.
Fluid level as shown above is correct.
When I had this problem last year, the dealer said that it was a programming error.
It is at the dealer again today.
How could the programming have a problem if nothing changed. Who pays for this reprogramming after 100k miles?
Please advise

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I get this same error message on my 2012 and check engine light. Will not charge.
When I had this problem last year, the dealer said that it was a programming error.
How could the programming have a problem if nothing changed. Who pays for this reprogramming after 100k miles?
Please advise
Normally you would after 100K miles. However since you have taken it in before for the same issue you can make the argument it is the same problem and they failed to fix it correctly the first time. Therefore you would not pay anything.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car is currently in the shop and has been on their computer since 8AM. Its now 1230 PM and i've yet to get a phone call. This is my second visit for the same problem. If it happens again I'm going to explore the NYS lemon law!

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
Please advise
The fluid level sensor can (and according to some sources, WILL eventually) go bad. Sometimes (2011 and 2012's) it can be the sensor's wiring harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts