GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys, earlier this week I the above message along with an orange engine and red battery light. I took the 2017 Volt to the dealer yesterday for the required service.

The service manager called today saying that they will have to replace three high voltage fuses which were ordered and will be in Monday, 6/26. He said that the complete high voltage system will have to be shut down for instillation so it will take some time for the repair. He also said a service bulletin was issued by Chevrolet.

I searched for the bulletin, but found nothing. My question is has anyone heard of this condition and service bulletin, and should I be worried?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Okay guys, earlier this week I the above message along with an orange engine and red battery light. I took the 2017 Volt to the dealer yesterday for the required service.

The service manager called today saying that they will have to replace three high voltage fuses which were ordered and will be in Monday, 6/26. He said that the complete high voltage system will have to be shut down for instillation so it will take some time for the repair. He also said a service bulletin was issued by Chevrolet.

I searched for the bulletin, but found nothing. My question is has anyone heard of this condition and service bulletin, and should I be worried?
Yes many have experienced this and no, don't worry. The special purpose fuses in question may not actually have blown but are known to send an error code and Volt cannot charge the traction battery or the 12 V battery until the fuse is replaced. Even after replacing the fuses the Volt may generate additional error codes requiring draining the battery coolant, dropping the traction battery, and inspecting/replacing the battery charging module. That part will almost certainly have to be ordered so it might be a few days before your Volt can be repaired. I recall I dropped my Volt off at the dealer on a Monday and received my Volt back on Thursday before noon. I received a 2016 or 2017 Volt LT as a loaner while my Volt was being repaired, the problem has not recurred.

This series of error codes and repair has been well documented here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?233881-Service-Battery-Charging-System-DTCs-P1F5A-P1F59-P0D26-P0D09-P1EBD-PIC6200-PIC6182

My experience with the Service Battery Charging System error message / bus fuse failure here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?269953-Failure-of-High-Voltage-Battery-Disconnect-Relay-Assembly

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, jcanoe. I'm hoping to get the car back on Monday, but you may be right. I do want the repair to be correct and hopefully not recur.

In the meantime, I'm working at bringing the EV estimate up on the 2017 Volt loaner with 300 miles. When I got it, the estimate indicated 53 miles, but after 40 miles and a full charge, it's up to 61. Hopefully, I won't have it long enough to get to the 85-87 my car shows. It's a twin to mine with the same options except it's white instead of red. Actually, I like the iridescent white better and although also a 2017, it's a year younger with 2500 less miles. Maybe I can work out a trade. ;)

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Thanks for the reply, jcanoe. I'm hoping to get the car back on Monday, but you may be right. I do want the repair to be correct and hopefully not recur.

In the meantime, I'm working at bringing the EV estimate up on the 2017 Volt loaner with 300 miles. When I got it, the estimate indicated 53 miles, but after 40 miles and a full charge, it's up to 61. Hopefully, I won't have it long enough to get to the 85-87 my car shows. It's a twin to mine with the same options except it's white instead of red. Actually, I like the iridescent white better and although also a 2017, it's a year younger with 2500 less miles. Maybe I can work out a trade. ;)
It's good when your loaner is the same model vehicle, you don't feel put out as much by your own Volt being in the repair shop. I thought the LT loaner I received was very nice ride, very similar to the Premier. The cloth seats were comfortable but I did not slide into the seat as easily as my leather seat. I missed not having the ACC and the blind spot warning. The standard audio system sounded ok, just not as full in the lower bass due to not having the subwoofer. Plus, I could listen to my own music in the loaner Volt via CarPlay as soon as I plugged in my iPhone.

·
Registered
926 Posts
jcanoe, O'Dell, did either of you have to ask for a Volt or was it the first thing recommended to you? I've been meaning to take my Volt in for the brake pedal squeak repair cause in warmer weather it happens more often and for longer travel of the pedal. I hesitate to bring it in because of fear getting an ICE loaner if they're busy and can't get my car ready within a day.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
jcanoe, O'Dell, did either of you have to ask for a Volt or was it the first thing recommended to you? I've been meaning to take my Volt in for the brake pedal squeak repair cause in warmer weather it happens more often and for longer travel of the pedal. I hesitate to bring it in because of fear getting an ICE loaner if they're busy and can't get my car ready within a day.
I did not request a Volt, I was not even certain if the dealer would offer me any kind of free loaner since this was not specified as one of the dealer benefits when I purchased my Volt. I was pleasantly surprised when they gave me a Gen II Volt LT as a loaner (I never determined if was a 2016 or a 2017 Volt LT since both were sold in Maryland. The only other time I had my Volt at the dealer was to rotate the tires and they applied a software update during that service visit so it ended up taking about an hour and a quarter. I waited in the customer waiting area for this service to be completed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't ask for a Volt either. They only had two loaners available, and both were Volts. I just picked the one most like mine. My dealer is a committed Volt and now Bolt dealer, which is why I went there in the first place. There are two Chevy dealers closer to my house, but I chose to drive the extra miles. At least I won't have to replace any gas.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thank you both for the responses! Gives me hope that since my dealer has Volts and Bolts on display, I might get one for a loaner. If I don't, I might make an "awe man, a gas engine?" complaint and hope for some sympathy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did not request a Volt, I was not even certain if the dealer would offer me any kind of free loaner since this was not specified as one of the dealer benefits when I purchased my Volt. I was pleasantly surprised when they gave me a Gen II Volt LT as a loaner (I never determined if was a 2016 or a 2017 Volt LT since both were sold in Maryland. The only other time I had my Volt at the dealer was to rotate the tires and they applied a software update during that service visit so it ended up taking about an hour and a quarter. I waited in the customer waiting area for this service to be completed.
The loaner is a cost of GM not the dealer. You can request a loaner and they bill Chevy. The type of loaner would be whatever is available at the time. My dealer loaned me a Cadillac ATS once.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

Just following up, was your Volt repaired by the dealer?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, not yet. The service bulletin required the replacement of three high-voltage fuses and the dealer has determined that one of these is on backorder. I gave the service manager a copy of the your post indicating that this may not completely solve the problem, but was told that they had to follow the SB first, and then follow-up on any other issues that might arise.

Since they gave me a Volt loaner identical to mine except for color, it's not a problem for me. He said it will probably be the latter part of next week before they get the fuse and complete the install due to the holiday. Anyway, I'm having fun trying to raise the EV estimate from the 53 miles it indicated when I picked up the loaner. I charged it tonight and I'm up to 68 miles, but I've only driven it 80 miles since last Thursday.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey jcanoe, I finally have an update. After three weeks and six days, I picked up my car today at the dealer. Originally they attempted to order the faulty hi-voltage fuse but they were on backorder. They finally ordered the whole High Voltage Disconnect relay assembly, which contained the troublesome fuse and replaced it. This is the same repair which was done on your car per your post. Anyway, I drove the twenty- four miles home with no failure messages or codes, so hopefully, this problem is solved.

However, the incident has caused some doubt in my mind about this particular car, and as I mentioned, the dark red is hard to keep clean. I told them today that I would be interested in trading for the pearl white loaner I've been driving if they can come up with an acceptable price. Even though they are both 2017's, the white one is eleven months newer with fewer miles and maybe fewer problems. They can cancel the loaner agreement in two weeks, so we'll get together then.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Good to know the dealer was able to resolve the problem with your Volt. Even though it took almost 4 weeks you had their loaner for the entire time. Good luck with whatever you decide and can work out with the dealer regarding a trade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts