GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
When you can't do your own, or simply want to test the waters, call in Tesla. It's likely a good deal for Tesla too. Either Toyota or Mercedes could be a future marriage partner.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Another expensive and foreign copycat?

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's always good to see more EV options for people. Toyota and now Mercedes both use Tesla technology.

Perhaps Tesla or GM should work with Nissan in the same way, to address the LEAF's battery degradation problems? What the LEAF really needs is a liquid cooled, better energy-managed battery.

·
Registered
589 Posts
When you can't do your own, or simply want to test the waters, call in Tesla. It's likely a good deal for Tesla too. Either Toyota or Mercedes could be a future marriage partner.
I think the Mercedes-Tesla arrangement has been a two way street. I seem to recall that the Model S uses some Merc hardware -- maybe it is switchgear or the steering wheel? In any case, I see this as very good news for Tesla. If and when Tesla encounters serious financial problems, Mercedes may indeed be there to tie the knot. In the meantime, the selling of motors to Mercedes will provide Tesla with a useful revenue stream.

But will this new Merc be a pretty direct competitor to the upcoming Tesla Model X?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Like Toyota, MB made an investment in Tesla and is using Tesla technology for a compliance vehicle. Hopefully this will get a better reception than the RAV4-E.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Having owned a Mercedes product and $uffered through $ix years of regular $ervicing, I cannot see how Tesla would want to have anything to do with Mercedes Benz. I guess the money is too good, because the buying and servicing experience is so radically different, so distant from the model that Tesla is using.

I finally gave up and won't be back to Mercedes for anything, especially another vehicle. We have had the older B class in Canada for a few years now and the cars have leaky sunroof panels and rusty doors. I'm sure the new one is much better built. I would be shocked, shocked to hear otherwise.

·
8,680 Posts
I think the Mercedes-Tesla arrangement has been a two way street. I seem to recall that the Model S uses some Merc hardware -- maybe it is switchgear or the steering wheel? In any case, I see this as very good news for Tesla. If and when Tesla encounters serious financial problems, Mercedes may indeed be there to tie the knot. In the meantime, the selling of motors to Mercedes will provide Tesla with a useful revenue stream.

But will this new Merc be a pretty direct competitor to the upcoming Tesla Model X?
This. The Model S appears to use a M-B steering column - or at least both the cruise control on the left and the gear shifter on the right are current M-B designs. IIRC, Tesla was also involved in the Smart EV.

I don't see how a 134 HP 'b segememt' car that's 'smaller than a C-class' will compete with the large, powerful Model X. It does compete head on with the i3 and Spark - possibly the Leaf too though I think the Leaf is bigger than the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts