1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That looks like pretty cool technology. But I think this will mostly be a 49 kilometer range BEV constantly searching for a hydrogen fueling opportunity. At least within Germany, there is an ambitious plan to deploy a network of hydrogen fueling stations, so this might work there. But with total range of 302 miles, I would still rather have a Bolt that I can fuel in my garage, and more cheaply.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
interesting, but I still feel like auto manufacturers haven't fully conceptualized the dash yet. The screens still feel like an afterthought.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Since there are so few hydrogen fueling stations it has no practical application at the moment. I'd love it though. You could keep the advantage of charging at home for the 90% of the time you drive locally and get the benefit of fast fueling when on longer trips. However, with 320 kW DCFC the fast fueling advantage may be short lived.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Since there are so few hydrogen fueling stations it has no practical application at the moment. I'd love it though. You could keep the advantage of charging at home for the 90% of the time you drive locally and get the benefit of fast fueling when on longer trips. However, with 320 kW DCFC the fast fueling advantage may be short lived.
Fuel cell vehicle fueling isn't exactly quick. https://www.cars.com/articles/fill-er-up-refueling-the-2016-toyota-mirai-1420690448036/ That's quicker than recharging a Bolt, but 6:30 is a long time to fill up when a Volt can refill an empty tank in less than a minute, PLUS there's a lot more fussing and checking things than even a CCS charger getting going...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Fuel cell vehicle fueling isn't exactly quick.
It always depends on your reference! My dog is fast compared to me but slow compared to a car. Likewise, a fuel cell is fast compared to an electric but, like most alternative fuels, slow compared to a liquid fuel.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
We're still waiting for more convenient EV charging stations around here. Hydrogen stations, forget it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a lot of hydrogen stations over there in the EU?

Smells like a concept PR job from here.
Two in Finland. One in Helsinki harbor and another in Mäntyharju hydrogen factory. Currently used by the single fuel cell vehicle operated by the hydrogen manufacturer using Hyundai Tuscon (ix35 FCV).

Hovever these are part of the "TEN-T project" which brings roughly 400 hydrogen stations to Germany by 2020 and some additional to other countries. Guess who's supplying part of the hydrogen.

P.S. I know that the EV/FC-Rex has been brought about on the forums many times and FC's have been bashed for missing the plug. And now we have first one in pre-production. Few more and we can start to bash the hydrogen industry for using natural gas instead of nuked water.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Guess who's supplying part of the hydrogen.
Vlad?

Sounds like some folks are ready to be leashed to a few hydrogen stations. You all know that FCV is a net energy loser I hope. Not exactly environmentally friendly at the moment. I don't know what's more stupid, this or the former push for diesel.

BTW: The refiners over there are in a spin now because they tooled up to produce more diesel and now it's going away (somewhat).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts